Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado GS1000 pads tape modified?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Grado GS1000 pads tape modified?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone,
I've read all the threads of how the gs1000 pad sucks for everything except the gs1000. Partly because of the bass that is lost. Has anyone tried the tape-around-the bowls mod with the jumbo pads? Specifically on a 325i? What are your opinions of this sound?

Thanks!
post #2 of 14
I tried the tape around the pads idea, not so much with the G-cush salad bowls as with the L-cush doughnuts. I got more bass but the result sounded muddier, sort of like listening to a Bose product. I didn't like it.

I did, however, end up slicing off a few millimeters to bring the ears closer to the driver. My fear was that in doing this, I'd just end up where I was with the doughnuts. But the wider aperture of the G-cush pads actually allowed better HF dispersion. It's my contention that, for an unamped experience, increasing the ear/driver distance while widening the pad is overkill. On even my GS-1000, the sound got too sweet it felt sibilant. I hated it. When I told others, they said I needed to burn my GS-1000s in. Then they told me that I had to break my pads in, through such things as washing them, squishing them, bending them, et cetera, until they became so soft that they squished together more readily. It didn't take long for me to realize they were advocating some form of compression back towards that driver that had been distanced by the new pads.

So, one day when I got the nerve, I cut a few millimeters off of the front of the pads. it worked wonders. The bass came back while the benefits of that wider mouth still gave me a lot more HF presence than I'd had with the doughnuts. My GS-1000s finally sounded as great as people were telling me they could. It impressed me so much that I took the same set of scissors to a spare pad, which I applied to my SR-60. The SR-60 didn't have the depth of bass you'd get out of a GS-1000 but it was still quite impressive, especially while grabbing all that fresh HF from the wider aperture of the cushion's mouth.

I've talked about this before, so I won't clutter up your thread with it. If you get curious, I have pics over at my albums. Disregard the ugly guy in the picture. That's me.
post #3 of 14
I used a set of pads of the Koss UR5 , placed on the cups and put the bowls over them, better comfort
post #4 of 14
How much did that set you back? What effect did it have on the sound?
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post
How much did that set you back? What effect did it have on the sound?
On my sr325 the High tones are better/softer/nicer , the low and bas stay the same
post #6 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo View Post
I tried the tape around the pads idea, not so much with the G-cush salad bowls as with the L-cush doughnuts. I got more bass but the result sounded muddier, sort of like listening to a Bose product. I didn't like it.

I did, however, end up slicing off a few millimeters to bring the ears closer to the driver. My fear was that in doing this, I'd just end up where I was with the doughnuts. But the wider aperture of the G-cush pads actually allowed better HF dispersion. It's my contention that, for an unamped experience, increasing the ear/driver distance while widening the pad is overkill. On even my GS-1000, the sound got too sweet it felt sibilant. I hated it. When I told others, they said I needed to burn my GS-1000s in. Then they told me that I had to break my pads in, through such things as washing them, squishing them, bending them, et cetera, until they became so soft that they squished together more readily. It didn't take long for me to realize they were advocating some form of compression back towards that driver that had been distanced by the new pads.

So, one day when I got the nerve, I cut a few millimeters off of the front of the pads. it worked wonders. The bass came back while the benefits of that wider mouth still gave me a lot more HF presence than I'd had with the doughnuts. My GS-1000s finally sounded as great as people were telling me they could. It impressed me so much that I took the same set of scissors to a spare pad, which I applied to my SR-60. The SR-60 didn't have the depth of bass you'd get out of a GS-1000 but it was still quite impressive, especially while grabbing all that fresh HF from the wider aperture of the cushion's mouth.

I've talked about this before, so I won't clutter up your thread with it. If you get curious, I have pics over at my albums. Disregard the ugly guy in the picture. That's me.
Bilavideo,

Thanks for the advice! In case you didn't notice, I'd already bought these pads for my 325 and definitely noticed the awesome soundstage but the lower midrange was lost, as well as the the bass was less. The highs were really too shrill.
I just did your mod, and it ROCKS! It totally brought the warmth back, and the highs are toned down. Bass is up from before. I'm going to try the tape mod for these modded pads and see how they work.

Thanks a bunch! Your album helped greatly.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
Bilavideo,

Thanks for the advice! In case you didn't notice, I'd already bought these pads for my 325 and definitely noticed the awesome soundstage but the lower midrange was lost, as well as the the bass was less. The highs were really too shrill.
I just did your mod, and it ROCKS! It totally brought the warmth back, and the highs are toned down. Bass is up from before. I'm going to try the tape mod for these modded pads and see how they work.

Thanks a bunch! Your album helped greatly.
Oh my gosh! Somebody actually tried it! Thank you! I know it took guts to take a pair of scissors to those $45 pads but I'm so glad you got the results! You made my day!
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Haha glad to hear! I used an x-acto knife. With that you can make it look really nice and clean. Unfortunately my right side was thicker than my left so I went for more, and now it looks awful. The sound quality is unchanged though.
I think the tape around these makes the bass a little nicer. Right now I'm just driving the headphones with an onkyo receiver so I'll report back once my WA6 gets here.
post #9 of 14
What kind of tape did you use? Do you have any pics to share?
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Black insulation tape. Here are some pics. Sorry about the terrible quality. I just can't get the settings right on this camera.

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Varun916's Album: Grado SR325i modded
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun916 View Post
Black insulation tape. Here are some pics. Sorry about the terrible quality. I just can't get the settings right on this camera.

Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - Varun916's Album: Grado SR325i modded
The pics look fine and I think you did a better job than I did. I'll have to look into using an xacto knife next time. It's very clean. How would you compare the bass with the tape on?
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
I'd say it has slightly more kick. I don't think it's muddy-ing the sound at all, but then I'm not an audiophile with super sensitive hearing so that's about all the detail I can give you
post #13 of 14
I'll give it a shot. So now I'm trying your mod! :-) This might work better than the taping I did on the doughnuts because the aperture is wider. We'll see.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Nice! If you decide to use the knife, start with an uncut piece. I tried to take a little bit off of one side, and it completely messed up the shape. It's good for shearing off large chunks of foam but doesn't do so well on the finer stuff.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Grado GS1000 pads tape modified?