or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Where to Buy FLAC/320kbps MP3 Files?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where to Buy FLAC/320kbps MP3 Files? - Page 4

post #46 of 61
Well of course Ham Sandwich.. I'm VERY much aware of that. Thanks!!
post #47 of 61
If the administrator of this site allow me,i can post a very nice web site where you can download FLAC files and quality mp3.I would like to mention that is a romanian website wich is legal,and requaire to sign up,only.All downloads are free and legally.
post #48 of 61
just cuz it's supposedly legal in romania doesn't mean they actually have a license to distribute said music
post #49 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicday View Post
If the administrator of this site allow me,i can post a very nice web site where you can download FLAC files and quality mp3.I would like to mention that is a romanian website wich is legal,and requaire to sign up,only.All downloads are free and legally.
I believe these isn't restriction to post a website link.
post #50 of 61
Though it was only a passing mention, and not exactly answering the OP's question, the idea of getting music at the library is GREAT. After reading that, I visited my largest local library and came back with 6 CD's in glorious lossless. Personally, after I've ripped a CD, I quickly get over them, as I now prefer to have my collection immediately accessible on my (triple-backed-up) 2TB network hard drive (195GB and counting..).

The library won't add to my personal obsessions in music, but it's very good for a lot of must-have jazz and classical music, all for free.
post #51 of 61
https://www.hdtracks.com/ sells downloadable music in FLAC or AIFF format (also 320K Mp3, but why bother?). $12 per album. $1.49 per track. They also have a selection of 96kHz/24-bit and 88kHz/24-bit ultra-hifi music. $18 per album, $2.49 per track. No DRM.

They have a pretty wide range of musical styles, but more Jazz, Classical, and Blues than other genres. Exceptional recordings, but not a lot of mainstream music.

CDs from Amazon are generally cheaper, though, and available from all the mainstream labels. But you have to look harder for recordings that approach the quality of those from HDTracks.
post #52 of 61
I'd get the 96khz/24 bit albums if you're going to buy from HDtracks. I recently wanted to see what all the hubub was about with 96khz (already knew about 24 bit) and I didn't really understand how having 50 000 more inaudible frequencies was worth the money. So I imported some stuff from reason at 44.1 Khz 24 bit and 96khz/24bit and there is a pretty significant difference.

I looked it up and what I understood was the DAC's have an easier time at processing 96kHz than 44.1 kHz and that's why they sound more natural.


To get back on topic: some band's will sell / give away their music on their websites in flac. maudlin of the Well - Part The Second and http://teramelos.bandcamp.com/ give and sell, respectively, their music in flac / 24 bit on their websites.
post #53 of 61
Though the 96/24bit recordings are there for downloading at HD Tracks, there are great recordings there that are 44.1/16. I was purchasing exclusively high definition, but am now realizing that I was missing some other good stuff.

88-96/24bit music, as you said, gbacic, sounds more life-like. I was stunned when I first heard them with my Ultra Micro DAC.

A lot of the HDTracks high definition stuff can be bought off Amazon, but you'll have a difficult time finding software and tools to get the high definition recording into a digital format.
post #54 of 61

Hi, I recommend mp3caprice service.

all tracks are in the highest quality(320kbps, not lossless).

advanced music requests system(they executed almost all my requests for a day)

thanks

post #55 of 61

http://www.emusic.com/

 

Sign up required,not a problem-I just grabbed the free downloads and resigned the membership.

EMusic offers are usually bundled with Sansa Players etc. 

post #56 of 61

Its REALLY not elitist or arrogant to prefer FLAC to MP3 - truth is everyone can hear the  difference - its fairly stark!

post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanppp View Post
 

Its REALLY not elitist or arrogant to prefer FLAC to MP3 - truth is everyone can hear the  difference - its fairly stark!


There's plenty of places to discuss this without reviving a 4 year old thread :p

 

Actually most people can't consistently hear the difference between lossless and high bitrate lossy. Differences are far more subtle than usually claimed. There are some testing methods available in the Sound Science forum for you to try yourself.

post #58 of 61

I want to purchase a digital album in FLAC format, and the only place I found it is the Bandcamp site.     Since I have never purchsed anything from them before, I would like to ask your honest opinion:

 

I assume that If I download an album in FLAC format, it is REAL lossless, uploaded by the band..and not some fake lossless someone has uploaded to their site.. Is this assumption true ?    

Usually I prefer to buy the physical copy and rip it myself, but this certain album can't be found in my country, and I rather unpatient to wait until it arrived from Abroad (if I buy it through amazon or something..).  also, It may be cheaper :)

 

Second question, and this is for people who actually purchaed from bandcamp before.   When I press the "Buy Now" button, It takes me to the payment options.  But I don't know where I can choose the format (flac,mp3,etc'). I don't want accidentally to download it in lossy format.

 

Your kind help in those matters is very appreciated.

post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by plonter View Post
 

I want to purchase a digital album in FLAC format, and the only place I found it is the Bandcamp site.     Since I have never purchsed anything from them before, I would like to ask your honest opinion:

 

I assume that If I download an album in FLAC format, it is REAL lossless, uploaded by the band..and not some fake lossless someone has uploaded to their site.. Is this assumption true ?    

Usually I prefer to buy the physical copy and rip it myself, but this certain album can't be found in my country, and I rather unpatient to wait until it arrived from Abroad (if I buy it through amazon or something..).  also, It may be cheaper :)

 

Second question, and this is for people who actually purchaed from bandcamp before.   When I press the "Buy Now" button, It takes me to the payment options.  But I don't know where I can choose the format (flac,mp3,etc'). I don't want accidentally to download it in lossy format.

 

Your kind help in those matters is very appreciated.

Bandcamp is one of the best things to ever happen to the music industry. To answer your question, the music on BC is uploaded either by the artist who made the music, or the label who is selling it on the site. The music is uploaded in lossless, uncompressed format, either WAV or AIFF, in the bit depth and sample rate of their choosing. The music is then converted automatically into all the formats offered by the site. The option to choose the format you want to download the music in is provided AFTER you've made your purchase, on the download page. If you have a fan profile set up at least, you can also re-download all purchases at any time from your collection page (again, in any format you choose or even multiple formats). I'm not sure how this works for people who don't have a fan profile, but I believe at least the download link in the "Thank You" email you receive after your purchase should work for re-downloading the music if need be, I assume. In the case of any issues I'm sure Bandcamp support will be happy to help, because they are really awesome people who are really working hard to provide the best service for both the artists and the fans.

 

Also, since many people seem confused about this, when you run into name-your-price albums and you would wish to download them for free without buying anything, you do that by clicking "Buy Now" and entering "0" as the price you want to pay. Check out the Free FLAC thread for some sweet (legal) download recommendations.

post #60 of 61

Thank for the comment, I guess it was a rather dummish question :)   I just downloaded the album!     Much cheaper than what It would cost me to order it from any other store , even locally. 

It's too bad that some cds are impossible to find in digital album form.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Music
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Music › Where to Buy FLAC/320kbps MP3 Files?