Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp - Page 9

post #121 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecakeFTW View Post
Ok, thanks for the help guys, what I was looking for was a little better bass impact, and a "fuller" and "crispier" sound, maybe some soundstage..
But if it doesent really do much to the ms1i:s I think i'll wait and see what to do. I'd rather spend my money in something else in that case :P
Do you have any suggestions in another amp that would fit me? I'm quite low on cash
so anything mor expensive than the t3 would be a problem
Thanks again..
Quote:
Originally Posted by dongringo View Post
In the T3 price range...hmmm...can't think of anything better than the T3.
Penguin Amp Caffeine Pro or Ultra, and Headstage Lyrix Pro would be a great budget choice for your MS-1 and TF 10 Pro plus many other phones.

Meier Headsix/XXS is another good one, but the price is going up with build quality and reputation.

A used iBasso P2, D3 or D2 Viper with new opamps would be better than a T3 or D2 Boa, which are still not bad with these phones. The D2 Boa slightly below the above as an amp only, but as a DAC/amp it's a little better choice than Lyrix Pro with DAC. The D2 Boa will also sound better with TF 10 pro than T3, where I think the T3 and TF 10 Pro together sound a little too forward for my tastes.

Top recommendations are even more expensive, like iBasso D4 and D10 which would beat all those listed above, but for over $240 - $290 shipped.

Going back to the affordable iBasso choices that are not discontinued, with MS-1 or other Grados the T3 and D2 Boa are still a better choice than the Vivid V1 and Nuforce Icon Mobile, which don't pair as well due to colorations of the phones and amp added together. Between those two amps, the MS-1/D2 Boa combo will give you better bass impact and soundstage than the T3 (same with TF 10 Pro).

The MS-1 are still a mid-fi headphone (but beating the SR-60 and AH-D501K), and so you want to consider what amp will work with any headphone upgrade you do in the future.
post #122 of 154
HPA - you mean the old D2 right? Or will the D2+ amp with TF10 sound better than T3/TF10?
Thanks..

"A used iBasso P2, D3 or D2 Viper with new opamps would be better than a T3 or D2 Boa, which are still not bad with these phones. The D2 Boa slightly below the above as an amp only, but as a DAC/amp it's a little better choice than Lyrix Pro with DAC. The D2 Boa will also sound better with TF 10 pro than T3, where I think the T3 and TF 10 Pro together sound a little too forward for my tastes."
post #123 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentino View Post
HPA - you mean the old D2 right? Or will the D2+ amp with TF10 sound better than T3/TF10?
Thanks..

"A used iBasso P2, D3 or D2 Viper with new opamps would be better than a T3 or D2 Boa, which are still not bad with these phones. The D2 Boa slightly below the above as an amp only, but as a DAC/amp it's a little better choice than Lyrix Pro with DAC. The D2 Boa will also sound better with TF 10 pro than T3, where I think the T3 and TF 10 Pro together sound a little too forward for my tastes."
I have not heard the D2+, so I can't comment. It may be just like the D2 Boa but with the line out function added, and therefore would be better with TF 10 Pro than the T3. I can't imagine they would still call it a D2+ if the sound signature changed enough to have given it another model number.

But the Boa is not a bad amp and it was better than a D2 Viper with stock opamps, although my D2 Viper with upgraded opamps was better than D2 Boa. I also preferred the D3 over D2 Boa, but I would pick the D4 over any of those I listed, as long as you don't mind 8-10 hours of battery life. Even the Viper got 13-17 hours depending on the opamps. But the stock D3 sounded a lot like my Viper with upgraded LM4562/LM6172 opamps, and the D4 improved further on that.

Also, see Skylabs big review of 37 portable amps (more like 48 but his thread title wont allow editing).
post #124 of 154
Ok thanks. Only prob is the D4 is out of stock and iBasso says it will be a while (maybe months) until the D4 is back. With both Skylab and you recommending the D4 I guess it's waiting time for me
post #125 of 154
Thank you for the advice HPA
post #126 of 154
Ok so i'm thinking of ordering the caffeine amp and this LOD:http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...wt_898&afsrc=1
Do you think it's a good idea? :P
Will it improve my sound alot?
post #127 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecakeFTW View Post
Ok so i'm thinking of ordering the caffeine amp and this LOD:http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...wt_898&afsrc=1
Do you think it's a good idea? :P
Will it improve my sound alot?
Caffeine Pro is excellent, and very similar to the Meier Headfive's sound without the higher price (or bullet proof case). I don't know about the Caffeine. (Pro has bass boost and gain switch, don't know if sounds different).

The dock looks like it should be just fine.
post #128 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
Caffeine Pro is excellent, and very similar to the Meier Headfive's sound without the higher price (or bullet proof case). I don't know about the Caffeine. (Pro has bass boost and gain switch, don't know if sounds different).

The dock looks like it should be just fine.
Oh, sorry i meant the one with bass boost etc.
Is it this one? Headphonia.com - Return of PenguinAmp Caffeine (Ultra) or Basic
Or is that without bass bost etc?
post #129 of 154
Thread Starter 
The one I recommend has the black PC Board with bass boost and gain switch. he's showing three different models on that page, so you have to email Robert and see how to get the Pro with bass boost and gains switch.

Note that page is offering a $50 trade-in for you sending him your Penguin Amp, not selling one. It looks like he is out of Caffeine Pro, unless he has a used one from trade-in: http://www.penguinamp.com/The-Caffei...d5d21e348906dd
post #130 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
The one I recommend has the black PC Board with bass boost and gain switch. he's showing three different models on that page, so you have to email Robert and see how to get the Pro with bass boost and gains switch.

Note that page is offering a $50 trade-in for you sending him your Penguin Amp, not selling one. It looks like he is out of Caffeine Pro, unless he has a used one from trade-in: PenguinAmp.com -
Ok, I emailed and asked if he had any used ones
thank you for the help again!
post #131 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentino View Post
T3 comes with a 3,5mm > 3,5mm cable. I have a few lod cables (no expensive ones) and can highly recommend buying one from Audio Minor - the store on ebay is called compicatx. I'm really satisfied with the lod I bought from them, for $40. Great quality copper lod, and Bogac is a very nice guy!
EFN made mine very inexpensively. Very flat which fits wel with the T3 and Nano, iTouch or iPhone. May want to email and ask him. Under 40$ as I recall
post #132 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecakeFTW View Post
Ok, I emailed and asked if he had any used ones
thank you for the help again!
Still no response.. -.-
post #133 of 154
Hi,

I'm currently using iAudio7 with NuForce NE-7M. I've been constantly wanting (almost 2 years) for an upgrade but wasn't willing to invest until now. So after reading all sorts of threads, I decide to buy the D4. And I find out that it's out of stock!! So here is my plan...

PORTABLE
Now: iAudio7 > NuForce NE-7M
1st buy: iAudio7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > NuForce NE-7M
2nd buy: iAudio7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > Looking at UE Triple Fi 10 Pro

HOME/OFFICE
Now: Desktop/Laptop > $10 Laptop Speakers
Dreaming: Desktop/Laptop > iBasso D4 > Looking at Grado SR325is/Sennheiser HD25-1 II

So,.... I'm wondering if my T3 purchase makes sense, and would anyone like to recommend a good upgrade from the NuForces to go with T3? And any comments on my future home setup are welcome
post #134 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by moee79 View Post
Hi,

I'm currently using iAudio7 with NuForce NE-7M. I've been constantly wanting (almost 2 years) for an upgrade but wasn't willing to invest until now. So after reading all sorts of threads, I decide to buy the D4. And I find out that it's out of stock!! So here is my plan...

PORTABLE
Now: iAudio7 > NuForce NE-7M
1st buy: iAudio7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > NuForce NE-7M
2nd buy: iAudio7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > Looking at UE Triple Fi 10 Pro

HOME/OFFICE
Now: Desktop/Laptop > $10 Laptop Speakers
Dreaming: Desktop/Laptop > iBasso D4 > Looking at Grado SR325is/Sennheiser HD25-1 II

So,.... I'm wondering if my T3 purchase makes sense, and would anyone like to recommend a good upgrade from the NuForces to go with T3? And any comments on my future home setup are welcome
The T3 is really good for it's tiny size. I like it with my GR8s better than the D4. The D4 is better for headphones imo, especially bassier phones like Denons.
post #135 of 154
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by moee79 View Post
Hi,

I'm currently using iAudio7 with NuForce NE-7M. I've been constantly wanting (almost 2 years) for an upgrade but wasn't willing to invest until now. So after reading all sorts of threads, I decide to buy the D4. And I find out that it's out of stock!! So here is my plan...

PORTABLE
Now: iAudio7 > NuForce NE-7M
1st buy: iAudio7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > NuForce NE-7M
2nd buy: iAudio7 > iBasso CB06 > iBasso T3 > Looking at UE Triple Fi 10 Pro

HOME/OFFICE
Now: Desktop/Laptop > $10 Laptop Speakers
Dreaming: Desktop/Laptop > iBasso D4 > Looking at Grado SR325is/Sennheiser HD25-1 II

So,.... I'm wondering if my T3 purchase makes sense, and would anyone like to recommend a good upgrade from the NuForces to go with T3? And any comments on my future home setup are welcome
The T3 is a good amp for the NE-7M, and it fills in the mids of the Triple.fi as well. It works nicely as a portable amp because it isn't too big, and it's a small but noticeable upgrade in sound and power over an iPod. The D4 is a better amp, although not as portable, and you should still consider it for your laptop rig.

Of the phones you mentioned for the laptop rig, I would suggest finding a used Grado HF-1/HF-2 instead of SR325i, or a Denon D2000 instead of the HD25-1. If you insist on choosing between those two phones, I would pick the Grados. The HD25-1 just don't sound transparent enough for me, and they have a small soundstage. I gave mine to my 12 yr old son.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Mini-Review: iBasso T3 portable amp