- 1,137 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- High End CIEM/IEM Thread! Last post on Yesterday at 4:38 am in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations on Custom in-ear Monitors to pair Ipod Classic ( Westone ES5, ES3X, JH13, EM?) Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM Last post on 1/20/14 at 11:36pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs vs Portables Last post on 7/24/12 at 9:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JHAudio IEM's - Jerry's Brief Descriptions Last post on 1/10/12 at 2:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/7/14
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 2/4/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (In-Ear)Last edited: 12/10/13
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol) - Page 28post #406 of 4284/12/10 at 8:04amI think they overshot the pricetag of the single armature by a whole digit.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #407 of 4284/12/10 at 10:23ampost #408 of 4284/12/10 at 10:43ampost #409 of 4284/12/10 at 10:47amwhoops...see you guys are a step ahead of me on their new IEM as I started a thread on it earlier today. Anyways, I`ll try to find a place where I can audition these in the next few days and if so will post my impressions just for the heck of it.post #410 of 4284/12/10 at 11:54amThey should be out soon, but I've not seen them in stock anywhere.
Also, Final Audio, unlike headfi regulars, are not a typical audiophile company. They are obviously marketed towards the person with more disposable dosh who is interested in natural construction and physical beauty.
Our Headfi usuals: the VW, Volvo, and Saab of earphones, do not compare to a Porsche simply because of economy. One might actually outpace a Porsche in certain tests, but it isn't the same car at all and I think that is what Final are aiming at.
There are certain things the 1601 does which gives me the shivers, but generally, it isn't priced to compete in the same market of cost/performance audio stuff like we see here.
We tend to think at Headfi that we are crazy audiophiles, but the amount we spend is often much much closer to the sane side of audiophiledom.
So judging a product like the FAD earphones purely on price is silly unless all you care about is cost/performance and happen to shop solely on Thursday. They may sound good, they may sound bad, but the point with FAD doesn't seem to be parity with anything in the market; FAD rather, want to slaughter hitherto perceptions of the word 'earphone'.post #411 of 4284/12/10 at 7:22pmThat's a fine post shigzeo, as much as i love full-size cans I must acknowledge that FAD's direction is the future of personal audio which is based on in-ear products. Unless someone makes a breaktrough with personal speakers or somthing like that.post #412 of 4284/13/10 at 12:15am^ Don't fall for it, he's just buttering them up to get a review sample.
Speaking of which, on a closer look I must say Porsche don't do them justice, it's at least Ferrari or Lamborghini for me...post #413 of 4284/13/10 at 12:40ampost #414 of 4284/13/10 at 12:44amFAD simply don't cater to the headfi market. We generally go for price/performance. James and I both know that they are not the easiest to use and don't sound the best in all situations. I think there isn't competition to FAD simply because FAD don't cater to midrange audiophiles.
Their speaker systems cost 600 000$! Good or not, only people with a lot of money can buy them. If FAD were competing with Westone etc., their products would probably look and sound the same.
They have a specialised sound which many don't like, but some really do. I wasn't praising them, just saying that they are about as comparable to what headfiers consider normal as a Lambourghini is to a VW. If you have the dosh and want a very tailored sound, go for it, but otherwise, FAD really are geared to a different market.post #415 of 4284/13/10 at 5:49pmpost #416 of 4284/13/10 at 9:09pmI've heard all of them, but none recently and none back to back with the 1601. Again, the 1601 is an earphone. It WON'T exercise the outer ear at all though it casts a huge soundstage.post #417 of 4284/17/10 at 1:32pmpost #418 of 4285/20/10 at 5:33pmThread Starter
I disagree a bit. I had Westone customs (the ES2) and they just fell apart with a lot of use, and of course, right after the warranty ran out. The ES2 did not sound better than the 1601-SB to my ears, and I've used Sony players for awhile. Fit wise, you're spot on. You won't get better than customs.
Sadly, the FI-BA-SS ones tempt me. I'll probably wait until I go to Japan next year to audition them.
Edited by FenderP - 5/20/10 at 10:34pmpost #419 of 4285/20/10 at 10:31pmReturn HomeBack to Forum: Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Bunch more to go! 27 seconds ago
- › Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz) 32 seconds ago
- › Official/ New York Spring Meet Sat April 5 2014 32 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 39 seconds ago
- › The New iRiver AK100: A High-End DAP 57 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic T90 :D 1 minute ago
- › Audeze LCD-X 1 minute ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 2 minutes ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude