- 1,137 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- High End CIEM/IEM Thread! Last post on 8/25/14 at 11:09am in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations on Custom in-ear Monitors to pair Ipod Classic ( Westone ES5, ES3X, JH13, EM?) Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM Last post on Yesterday at 6:08 am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- IEMs vs Portables Last post on 7/24/12 at 9:37pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- JHAudio IEM's - Jerry's Brief Descriptions Last post on 1/10/12 at 2:09pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Brainwavz S5 Review: There are questions, and then there are questions that you get asked constantly. One of the most common requests of knowledge from me are on if unit X is better than unit...
I've received Concero HP from Ressonsense Labs for writing review in russian, but I want to share my thoughts with Head-Fi. As usual, I'll be somewhat brief, as I'm not so good in English, but I...
I’d like to thank John Seaber and the folks at JDS Labs for the C5D loaner unit. Accessories The C5D ships with a 1.5 foot USB mini-B cable, a set of four rubber stick-on feet and an...
This is a review of the upcoming FiiO X1 digital audio player (DAP). Until my first experience with X5, a little over half a year ago, I used to refer to all dedicated audio players as "mp3"...
It's annoying because I didn't read the manual so I naturally fitted the SE215's wrong, and then looked at videos and found the right fit. The SE215 lack bass with the foam tips, so I put on the...
Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol) - Page 28
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Also, Final Audio, unlike headfi regulars, are not a typical audiophile company. They are obviously marketed towards the person with more disposable dosh who is interested in natural construction and physical beauty.
Our Headfi usuals: the VW, Volvo, and Saab of earphones, do not compare to a Porsche simply because of economy. One might actually outpace a Porsche in certain tests, but it isn't the same car at all and I think that is what Final are aiming at.
There are certain things the 1601 does which gives me the shivers, but generally, it isn't priced to compete in the same market of cost/performance audio stuff like we see here.
We tend to think at Headfi that we are crazy audiophiles, but the amount we spend is often much much closer to the sane side of audiophiledom.
So judging a product like the FAD earphones purely on price is silly unless all you care about is cost/performance and happen to shop solely on Thursday. They may sound good, they may sound bad, but the point with FAD doesn't seem to be parity with anything in the market; FAD rather, want to slaughter hitherto perceptions of the word 'earphone'.
Speaking of which, on a closer look I must say Porsche don't do them justice, it's at least Ferrari or Lamborghini for me...
Their speaker systems cost 600 000$! Good or not, only people with a lot of money can buy them. If FAD were competing with Westone etc., their products would probably look and sound the same.
They have a specialised sound which many don't like, but some really do. I wasn't praising them, just saying that they are about as comparable to what headfiers consider normal as a Lambourghini is to a VW. If you have the dosh and want a very tailored sound, go for it, but otherwise, FAD really are geared to a different market.
I disagree a bit. I had Westone customs (the ES2) and they just fell apart with a lot of use, and of course, right after the warranty ran out. The ES2 did not sound better than the 1601-SB to my ears, and I've used Sony players for awhile. Fit wise, you're spot on. You won't get better than customs.
Sadly, the FI-BA-SS ones tempt me. I'll probably wait until I go to Japan next year to audition them.
Edited by FenderP - 5/20/10 at 10:34pm
- Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › A long time(2010) Denon D5000 owner needs advice/direction on new... 20 seconds ago
- › Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified... 48 seconds ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 4 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 4 minutes ago
- › Schiit Modi & Wyrd 5 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser IE800 IEM's 8 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by bowei006
- › Resonessence Labs Concero HP by cleg
- › JDS Labs C5D by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by twister6
- › Shure SE215 by Existence
- › Audiofly AF140 In-Ear Headphones (Gray) by Loquah
- › Brainwavz R3 Dual Dynamic Driver Earphones by hans030390
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)