- 1,137 Posts. Joined 12/2009
- Location: MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- Preparing for the the jump: Universal to Custom help Last post on 3/14/14 at 1:06pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Which universal model is the most similar to Westone ES50? Last post on 2/10/15 at 5:56pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- High End CIEM/IEM Thread! Last post on 3/14/15 at 12:51am in High-end Audio Forum
- Recommendations on Custom in-ear Monitors to pair Ipod Classic ( Westone ES5, ES3X, JH13, EM?) Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:58am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- REVIEW: Unique Melody Merlin - hybrid dynamic/balanced armature custom IEM Last post on Today at 6:35 pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
Intro/Setup The full-size closed under $200 category is a very popular one among pro’s and casual listeners alike. The most similar competitor to this I own is the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro...
Fantastic sound quality! Very clean, detailed and balanced sound. Really strong power for high impedance headphones. Best buy until US 250,00.. It can drive easily my AKG K702 (famous for being...
Great sound, strong bass, great construct quality, very confortable, warm sound. This is a real overall headphone. Everything will sound good on it (not a real reference headphone). Fantastic for...
Great sound, great tone, very well balanced, very clean, great bass (not lacking), detailed sound. Everything sounds great on the SENNHEISER HD 598.
Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest...
Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol) - Page 28
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Also, Final Audio, unlike headfi regulars, are not a typical audiophile company. They are obviously marketed towards the person with more disposable dosh who is interested in natural construction and physical beauty.
Our Headfi usuals: the VW, Volvo, and Saab of earphones, do not compare to a Porsche simply because of economy. One might actually outpace a Porsche in certain tests, but it isn't the same car at all and I think that is what Final are aiming at.
There are certain things the 1601 does which gives me the shivers, but generally, it isn't priced to compete in the same market of cost/performance audio stuff like we see here.
We tend to think at Headfi that we are crazy audiophiles, but the amount we spend is often much much closer to the sane side of audiophiledom.
So judging a product like the FAD earphones purely on price is silly unless all you care about is cost/performance and happen to shop solely on Thursday. They may sound good, they may sound bad, but the point with FAD doesn't seem to be parity with anything in the market; FAD rather, want to slaughter hitherto perceptions of the word 'earphone'.
Speaking of which, on a closer look I must say Porsche don't do them justice, it's at least Ferrari or Lamborghini for me...
Their speaker systems cost 600 000$! Good or not, only people with a lot of money can buy them. If FAD were competing with Westone etc., their products would probably look and sound the same.
They have a specialised sound which many don't like, but some really do. I wasn't praising them, just saying that they are about as comparable to what headfiers consider normal as a Lambourghini is to a VW. If you have the dosh and want a very tailored sound, go for it, but otherwise, FAD really are geared to a different market.
I disagree a bit. I had Westone customs (the ES2) and they just fell apart with a lot of use, and of course, right after the warranty ran out. The ES2 did not sound better than the 1601-SB to my ears, and I've used Sony players for awhile. Fit wise, you're spot on. You won't get better than customs.
Sadly, the FI-BA-SS ones tempt me. I'll probably wait until I go to Japan next year to audition them.
Edited by FenderP - 5/20/10 at 10:34pm
- Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (4/8/2015: Full X2 Review... 5 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.2 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 2 minutes ago
- › New Schiit! Ragnarok and Yggdrasil 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC announced 2 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Spring 2015 -- Pics & Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Ether Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Optimal In-Ear Monitors for Mostly Electronic Music 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by rigodeni
- › Matrix M-Stage by Johannus
- › Pioneer HDJ-2000 Reference Professional Dj Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Black by Johannus
- › AKG K 702 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Johannus
- › Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio L2 by DJScope
- › HUM Pervasion - Android DAP by DJScope
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2