Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Y'all are crazy...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Y'all are crazy... - Page 3

post #31 of 75
Who said anything about spending $3K on an amp? And what does that have to do with the limitations all portables have, no matter how good?
post #32 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 View Post
"Portables" are not what they used to be.You can get tube like sound from "portables" now.And Opamp rolling proves that even more.
Which tube amps have you listened to? Which portables sound like them? Is this something you have experienced, or are you repeating marketing rhetoric you've read somewhere?

As for the $3,000 amp comment, you don't need to spend anywhere near that for good sound. A quality solid state amp runs $300-$500 or so.

Or you can just use a vintage receiver. I'd rather use a receiver left out for trash collection than some whiz-bang-hype-shilltastic $500 portable. It's a matter of power. An old Kenwood receiver that's $20 at the Salvation Army has it. A mid three figures portable doesn't.

You can use whatever you want with your headphones. If you're happy, great. But some of us like to get the most out of our listening experience instead of going halfway. Seeing that quality amplification can cost less than a portable, there's no reason to compromise your listening.
post #33 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
I like portable amps, and there are some very good ones available. That doesn't change the fact that portables have limitations due to size.

I have no idea what you mean by "tube like sound." I've heard many tube amps, owned a couple, and I don't understand what that phrase means at all. Maybe you could help by stating which tube amp with which tubes sounds like a portable amp or visa versa. Maybe also which tube amp sounds like a tube amp. Though it may seem obvious, I really don't know what it means.
How it be more clear?"Tube Like Sound" means a particular portable amp has similar sound to a tube amp.The Pico has been described of having a tube amp sound.Some of the RSA portables also.The TTVJ Portable,the iQube,Triad Audio Lisa III,Xenos amps,Graham Slee Voyager,some of iBasso's finest and a few more have been described as having SIMILAR warm tube amp dynamics.
post #34 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 View Post
How it be more clear?"Tube Like Sound" means a particular portable amp has similar sound to a tube amp.The Pico has been described of having a tube amp sound.Some of the RSA portables also.The TTVJ Portable,the iQube,Triad Audio Lisa III,Xenos amps,Graham Slee Voyager,some of iBasso's finest and a few more have been described as having SIMILAR warm tube amp dynamics.
Until a couple days ago, I owned a pico, owned one and heard most RSA portables, and have heard the TTVJ portable a few times, the iQube and the Voyager. They all sound like good portable amps with slightly different flavors.

What does a tube amp sound like? I've owned three, heard dozens more, and they all sound different, depending on the tubes, the source, and the headphones. I don't know a single one I'd describe as having a tube sound because that really makes no sense, and to say any portable sounds like a tube amp (though there have been a couple portable/transportable tube amps) is just plain strange. I'm sorry, but you're talking nonsense.
post #35 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
Until a couple days ago, I owned a pico, owned one and heard most RSA portables, and have heard the TTVJ portable a few times, the iQube and the Voyager. They all sound like good portable amps with slightly different flavors.

What does a tube amp sound like? I've owned three, heard dozens more, and they all sound different, depending on the tubes, the source, and the headphones. I don't know a single one I'd describe as having a tube sound because that really makes no sense, and to say any portable sounds like a tube amp (though there have been a couple portable/transportable tube amps) is just plain strange. I'm sorry, but you're talking nonsense.
Then the reviewers that have said it are all talking nonsense too?I'm saying some reviews including some here on head-fi have said that the amps have the warmth of a tube amp.No particular tube amp nor tubes.Just a descriptive analogy to get a sense of the unique warmth of a fantastic "portable amp".And if you can't understand that,then i don't know what else to say.And i'm not against spending alot of money on an amplifier if you can afford it.I just like to applaud the fact that you don't have to spend a lot of money and still get a marvelous amp from companies that keep costs down and still deliver tremendous products for those of us on budgets.You know exactly what i mean and i know you just want to be belligerent.And thats fine with me.
post #36 of 75
No, I don't know what you mean, and especially because it's also nonsense that tube amps have a warm sound, though some certainly do, as do some solid state amps.

I'm not being belligerent, but I'm being a bit pissy because you're posting information as if it were true, and as if you've heard these amps, when it's clear from what you're posting that you have no idea what you're saying.

And yes. If I'd read any reviews of those portables saying they sounded like tube amps, I'd want to know what specific tube amp and what tubes, because that reads like complete bullhooey to me.
post #37 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Erik View Post
As for the $3,000 amp comment, you don't need to spend anywhere near that for good sound. A quality solid state amp runs $300-$500 or so.
I got my AV123 X-Head (version 2) for $100 B-Stock myself. There's definitely good deals in fullsize headphone amps out there.

Amps don't have to be expensive. Sometimes a portable though will be sufficient for a full sized phone, and sometimes it won't. This is one of those cases where most manufactures will say you're driving the amp out of spec I imagine (which will probably lead to increased distortion).
post #38 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
No, I don't know what you mean, and especially because it's also nonsense that tube amps have a warm sound, though some certainly do, as do some solid state amps.

I'm not being belligerent, but I'm being a bit pissy because you're posting information as if it were true, and as if you've heard these amps, when it's clear from what you're posting that you have no idea what you're saying.

And yes. If I'd read any reviews of those portables saying they sounded like tube amps, I'd want to know what specific tube amp and what tubes, because that reads like complete bullhooey to me.
Looks like your the one talking nonsense.If you want to know exactly what they mean then ask them yourself.I don't need to explain anything else to you,except you are being belligerent and a nuisance.If you know so much then why all the questions.It's seems you have nothing better to do then to try to debunk what i posted.
post #39 of 75
Isn't this topic great...I mean, amps are overrated( my opinion )...of course you can't believe that. If we all thought this way, Head-Fi would be less exciting. Go buy new headphones instead! I can't wait to get my hands on the Pico Slim...go figure.



...and OH! my SR-71A is still kickin' ass.
post #40 of 75
UGH.

Well I have a Keces 171 which is a 'slightly' better amp than the amp in the 152. Anyways, the Canamp is better than it. How much better? Well it has better instrument weight, better decay, more laid back sound stage, improved height [we are splitting hairs] and of course, has a slightly warmer sound. Now Boomana, you may remember your unmodded Canamp, I dunno but there's the link between your bedroom amp and the OP's amp. So no, it's not going to drive the HD600s with authority but neither does the Canamp etc.

Hoped that helped though I'm completely over these threads xD.
post #41 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 View Post
Looks like your the one talking nonsense.If you want to know exactly what they mean then ask them yourself.I don't need to explain anything else to you,except you are being belligerent and a nuisance.If you know so much then why all the questions.It's seems you have nothing better to do then to try to debunk what i posted.
I'm debunking what you posted because it's misleading and false information, and I think it's bad for this forum. As for being a nuisance, if you continue to post false and misleading information, I'll continue to be a nuisance.
post #42 of 75
It does seem were all crazy! LOL
post #43 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana1000 View Post
Then the reviewers that have said it are all talking nonsense too?I'm saying some reviews including some here on head-fi have said that the amps have the warmth of a tube amp.No particular tube amp nor tubes.Just a descriptive analogy to get a sense of the unique warmth of a fantastic "portable amp".And if you can't understand that,then i don't know what else to say.And i'm not against spending alot of money on an amplifier if you can afford it.I just like to applaud the fact that you don't have to spend a lot of money and still get a marvelous amp from companies that keep costs down and still deliver tremendous products for those of us on budgets.You know exactly what i mean and i know you just want to be belligerent.And thats fine with me.
You are not speaking from experience.

Tubes are something entirely different from solid state - the tubes themselves and the different topologies lend themselves to a wide range of sound. There is no one particular "tube" sound that is common to all tube amps. If you spend any time comparing tube amps then you will probably reach the same conclusion.

Having listened to and built and number of tube amps, as well as having listened to a number of portables, I don't find many similarities.

The flavor of an amp usually lies in its output impedance curve. Depending on the tubes used and whether it uses output transformers, the sound varies quite a bit. Solid state is different, especially when running off a 9 volt or two.

If you want to compare portables to desktop tube amps, spend some time with each. You will notice a sizable difference. You might also see why those who go full-sized rarely go back to portables.

Again, enjoy your portable all you want. But don't for a second think they're the last word in fidelity because they are not.
post #44 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomana View Post
I'm debunking what you posted because it's misleading and false information, and I think it's bad for this forum. As for being a nuisance, if you continue to post false and misleading information, I'll continue to be a nuisance.
You really are ignorant.How could me reiterating information stated from other people in their reviews and my partial opinion on amps be false,or wrong.It's called OPINION.You don't have to agree.But you shouldn't say we are wrong.Are you that close minded and dense that someone's opinion and/or statement threatens you.And you feel the need to correct them.Get a life!And get it right.I said SIMILAR.
post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomijiTMO View Post
UGH.

Well I have a Keces 171 which is a 'slightly' better amp than the amp in the 152. Anyways, the Canamp is better than it. How much better? Well it has better instrument weight, better decay, more laid back sound stage, improved height [we are splitting hairs] and of course, has a slightly warmer sound. Now Boomana, you may remember your unmodded Canamp, I dunno but there's the link between your bedroom amp and the OP's amp. So no, it's not going to drive the HD600s with authority but neither does the Canamp etc.

Hoped that helped though I'm completely over these threads xD.
I'm not sure what you mean about the link between my Heed and the op's Hornet, especially since I had them both at the same time, and they're not really similar at all.

I agree that the Canamp doesn't drive the 600s with authority, and I never said it did, though it made for a nice bedroom rig at the time due to size, and it definitely did a better job with the 600s than the Hornet. I also used to listen to the HD600s with a LaRocco PRII, which was enjoyable, but certainly not optimal. As I mentioned in this thread earlier, we all make compromises for a variety of reasons at different times, and there's nothing wrong with that. I just think it's important to remember that we're posting for others to read, and to say things like a portable drives the 600s with authority is misleading, especially if you've heard the 600s actually be driven with authority.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › Y'all are crazy...