or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › will i still get audiophile sound quality sound if i use linux?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

will i still get audiophile sound quality sound if i use linux?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
if i have a audiophile grade sound card and i use linux (ubuntu) and install generic linux sound card drivers for it will it sound as good as a windows system with the original windows drivers? or is linux (ubuntu) just inferior?
post #2 of 17
I dont see why not...
Windows dicks with the sound, so the linux one might even end up sounding better.
post #3 of 17
linux is inferior by far. Main reason is that mos windows drivers are made by the manufacturer which has more detailed info on how to drive chips on the soundcard.
post #4 of 17
It's the audio file format that count. The minimum for digital audiophiles quality it's the CD format WAV, AIFF, SDll.
post #5 of 17
Quote:
The minimum for digital audiophiles quality it's the CD format WAV, AIFF, SDll.
Or flac, alac or ape.
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
linux is inferior by far. Main reason is that mos windows drivers are made by the manufacturer which has more detailed info on how to drive chips on the soundcard.
if you are serious, you are EXTREMELY uninformed.

best to just stop, ok?
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
if you are serious, you are EXTREMELY uninformed.

best to just stop, ok?

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by expxe View Post
if i have a audiophile grade sound card and i use linux (ubuntu) and install generic linux sound card drivers for it will it sound as good as a windows system with the original windows drivers? or is linux (ubuntu) just inferior?
linux will only resample if the native card does not support your target sample rate. pick a good card that supports 44.1 (example) and you won't get resampling from redbook cd sources.

other than that, linux has no issues with sound drivers on any mainstream card. some fringe cards won't have drivers but many good cards do (and usb audio is mostly standard, at least at 16/44.1).

my system is a mini-itx system (via EPIA fanless) and I'll tell you: usb-audio in linux works. usb-audio in xp does NOT! I get interrupt clicks in windows. not in linux, though! so there's at least one example of where windows simply could NOT drive a very bog-standard sound card (burr brown pcm chip on usb).

there are all kinds of kernel 'games' you have to play in windows to avoid data corruption of audio. in linux, there are no such games and no forced 48k resampling (again, unless you pick a really dumb card that can't even do native 44.1).
post #9 of 17
+1 linuxworks, but do we have to bring another set of religious wars into the Headphones forum ? OP, you do know there is a Computer Audio forum, dont you ?? There is enough brawling in this forum already - we dont need the Linux vs Windows war.
post #10 of 17
Be careful of that digital dust!
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpk View Post
Be careful of that digital dust!
but if you collect enough of it, it becomes analog-ish.

(lol)
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
if you are serious, you are EXTREMELY uninformed.

best to just stop, ok?
I knew that some fanboy would be replying to that post

but seriously, most advanced features just won't be supported. Like hardware decoding and some dsp functions. In fact, most of the soundblaster live functionality was not avaiable in linux because creative did not want to release any of the specifications. Making reengineering the only option.

As for not knowing what i'm talking about, I probably have a better grasp of how interrupts and the whole internals of a system work then you might imagine.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
I knew that some fanboy would be replying to that post
you're batting 1000 on troll comments. keep it up...

Quote:
but seriously, most advanced features just won't be supported. Like hardware decoding and some dsp functions.
(coughing)

do you know which forum you are on? an AUDIO forum.

dsp does not enter into it. not even a tiny bit.

hardware decoding - same thing - irrelevant. a pentium 300mhz box can decode mp3 in 'software'. same with flac. same with, well, ANY audio format (even multichannel, but again, this is headfi and not surround-fi).

Quote:
In fact, most of the soundblaster live functionality was not avaiable in linux because creative did not want to release any of the specifications. Making reengineering the only option.
normal audio playback has always been there. gaming does not matter here, in this context.

Quote:
As for not knowing what i'm talking about, I probably have a better grasp of how interrupts and the whole internals of a system work then you might imagine.
you sure don't act like it with drive-by comments like you've posted.

I'm not a 'fanboy' either, even though my name might suggest as such (I've had this handle since the mid 90's). I use linux, freebsd, windows, solaris and others as needed. but your slam about linux was highly uncalled for and actually factually incorrect. if you can't post non-misleading things, don't post at all.
post #14 of 17
Most Linux drivers (all common cards) are now mature, stable, and bit accurate. And even the former problem with lack of manufacturer support isn't true anymore. Most cards nowadays are either based on a standard interface or have full manufacturer support.

See Home - Open Source for a specific example. Creative now works with the open source community quite well.
post #15 of 17
Creative has ridiculous proprietry software, I'm not sure why Justice Strike would use this as "the standard". Most DACs are multi-OS...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Audio
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Computer Audio › will i still get audiophile sound quality sound if i use linux?