Hi, I tried it last night and it went very well.
The LOD opens (as you probably already know) on the connector side.
You have to lift the connector side cover, and everything comes trough the casing, including the wire. The cover has plastic tabs and mild glue on each end.
I tried opening it with a sharp but strong knife by inserting it near the middle and lifting the cover, but it was stressing the plastic cover too much and it even cracked a bit, so I gave up on that option.
Doing the same near the ends damages the casing a bit more but at least nothing cracked, and seeing as the plastic tabs and the glue are on each end, I'd say it's the best place to apply pressure.
One side after the other and it came loose.
Removing the cables was easy, though they're pretty close together. Just a little touch on the solder with the soldering iron and a small pull with a tweezer, and they come off.
I cut the cable to length and tried to solder each wire to each connector (that still had the previous solder), but that didn't work.
I didn't want to apply new solder because all I had was a large soldering iron and a large solder wire, so I was sure I would have trouble with too much solder joining 2 (or even 3!!) adjacent connectors.
The solution I used was applying a bit of solder to the tips of the wires (just a thin coating).
Then, one at a time, I placed (with a tweezer) each wire to the corresponding "old-solder-covered connector", and the touching the tip of the soldering iron to the wire to melt the 2 bits of solder together (the one on the tip of the wire and the one on the connector).
After checking it was working properly, it was just a matter of applying a bit of glue to the plastic strain relief, and just click the cover into place.
The damage done to casing is minimal, nothing that bothers me.
Edited by striker - 5/17/10 at 8:06am