Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Head-Direct / HifiMAN RE-252 - 'balance' redefined
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[REVIEW] Head-Direct / HifiMAN RE-252 - 'balance' redefined - Page 2

post #16 of 35
hi, ClieOS

how is the soundstage width/depth, instrument seperation/placement comparing to OK1? Is it good for classical?
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonathena View Post
how is the soundstage width/depth, instrument seperation/placement comparing to OK1? Is it good for classical?
Can't really compare to OK1 since I never hear it before. But if it is classical only, I'll probably pick RE0 or TF10.
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
There is a small hole on top of the hard plastic housing but it does have any audible effect when sealed so I assume it is not for venting.
I assume that should say "...but it doesn't have any audidle effect..."

Interesting review, thanks. As a happy REO owner I think I'll pass on this.
post #19 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClieOS View Post
Can't really compare to OK1 since I never hear it before. But if it is classical only, I'll probably pick RE0 or TF10.
then how is the soundstage width/depth, instrument seperation/placement comparing to RE0? why do you think RE0 is better for classical?
post #20 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel View Post
I assume that should say "...but it doesn't have any audidle effect..."
Yes, making the correction right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonathena View Post
then how is the soundstage width/depth, instrument seperation/placement comparing to RE0? why do you think RE0 is better for classical?
RE0 has better depth, RE252 has better width. Instrument separation/placement is better on the RE0 because of the better depth and resolution, but overall RE252 still pretty good. I assume most classical listener love detail and demand high resolution, thus RE0 is the better choice. In comparison, RE252 strength is more on its mid.
post #21 of 35
ClieOS, thanks for the review. Which eartips did you use on the RE0 during the comparison ?
post #22 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by patate View Post
ClieOS, thanks for the review. Which eartips did you use on the RE0 during the comparison ?
It is on big bi-flange.
post #23 of 35
Great review ClieOS, except that from reading it, I got the impression that RE252 is not really better than RE0 - just different. Yet you say that RE252 deserves to be crowned as Hifiman's new top of the line IEM. Can you explain a bit more why you prefer RE252 over RE0 overall and what makes RE252 a better all arounder?

BTW, RE0 with bi-flanges has a somewhat V-shaped response. If you try it with stock single flanges or UE single flanges, it becomes a lot more neutral. I found say that with single flanges, RE0 doesn't have much character of its own, except that it's just slightly on the warm/dark side.
post #24 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post
Great review ClieOS, except that from reading it, I got the impression that RE252 is not really better than RE0 - just different. Yet you say that RE252 deserves to be crowned as Hifiman's new top of the line IEM. Can you explain a bit more why you prefer RE252 over RE0 overall and what makes RE252 a better all arounder?

BTW, RE0 with bi-flanges has a somewhat V-shaped response. If you try it with stock single flanges or UE single flanges, it becomes a lot more neutral. I found say that with single flanges, RE0 doesn't have much character of its own, except that it's just slightly on the warm/dark side.
When I rated RE0 a year ago, I give it a really high prise for its neutrality, transparency and extension. It was marked down on its requirement of an amp to reach the best performance. When I am rated RE252, I find it to be great at mid while retaining most of the neutrality, transparency and extension of RE0 (but not 100% of). The good news is of course RE252 doesn't need an amp to shine. So in a way RE252 traded off some of RE0's edges to address some of its weaknesses. I see this as a positive move overall, but it is not an large step forward IMO. However, from my own brief audition of a few 'new' top-end IEM (UM3X, W3 and IE8) a few months ago, I come to a personal conclusion (as unreliable as a brief audition can be) that, despites all the 'technical' achievement in universal IEM's world over the last year (true three ways and such), I didn't hear any major improvement in the sound. Sure there are small improvement here and there, but I didn't not sense that we have reached the next level yet. You can say I am finding the same conclusion on RE252 - not that it doesn't have improvement of its own, but as many other IEM of this caliber, it has done its best trying to push through that invisible wall (of sonic performance), but the closer it gets, the more difficult and smaller each step becomes.

I pick the big-bi-flange mainly because of better soundstage (which correspond to the more V-shaped like freq. resp.), but it does loss some of its warmness. However, since I am using my RE0 with T4 (a warm amp on its own) most of the time, I felt they compliment (or compensate, depend on how you like to read it) each other well.

On a side note, some of you might find it strange that I rated Fisher Audio Eterna highly while the feedback of others seems to be very much mixed. The reason is Eterna isn't the kind of IEM aims to maximize sonic performance, but aims to please. To me, it is like blending all the wrong ingredients to create the best gourmet dish. The end result is pure joy in my ears, and that's the only thing that counts.
post #25 of 35
^^ And with the seeing that wonderful review and explanation, I'm putting in my order for the RE252. My ears and Clip+ will be quite grateful for the improvement in SQ and battery performance.
post #26 of 35
And you just put the Eternas back on my plate! I'll never make up my mind...
post #27 of 35
clieOS do the re252 have foam inside nozzles just like the rest of the Head direct line? also if they do, how do they sound without the foam?
post #28 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laokid18 View Post
clieOS do the re252 have foam inside nozzles just like the rest of the Head direct line? also if they do, how do they sound without the foam?
Yes, RE252 does have foam on the inside as well, somehow it never occurs to me to try the foam mod.

I just removed the foam. A very tiny bit of sibilance, not actually enough to be any annoyance. Mid is a bit more upfront, more energetic. Treble improvement is much more evidenced: proper air, and better transparency. It does get a bit overwhelming because of the increase of detail in complex passage. Bass has a bit better impact as well. Soundstage is a tiny bit closer in comparison, but the overall presentation has been improved because now it has a real sense of depth.

Wow, I actually like the foam-less RE252's sound - enough to give me a goose-bump . I am LOVE'IN it!
post #29 of 35
Awesome! can't wait to try the mod on mine.
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laokid18 View Post
Awesome! can't wait to try the mod on mine.
x2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › [REVIEW] Head-Direct / HifiMAN RE-252 - 'balance' redefined