Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion from post #120)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion... - Page 56

post #826 of 881
More thoughts on "top-tier." Seems everything discussed on here has strengths and weaknesses, but many still consider them top-tier. So here are my thoughts and what I have gathered from the IEMs I have not heard. Please add to this...

What I own:

CK10:
- Strength: detail, space, instrument separation, micro-detail, and accuracy
- Weakness: included tips, can be difficult to fit (or uncomfortable jammed deep in your ears), treble can be too much, bass can be too lite for some
Copper:
- Strengths: bass and balance, instrument separation for a dynamic
- Weaknesses: Overall space, bass can be too much, not the best transparency
IE8:
- Strengths: Soundstage and mid/treble smoothness, micro-detail for a dynamic
- Weaknesses: Too much mid bass, can sound veiled compared to others in this category
CK90Pro:
- Strengths: Detail, space, instrument separation, more accepted frequency response balance
- Weaknesses: Out of the box they are horrible with the foam, which needs to be reduced/removed, treble can be harsh from time to time
RE252:
- Strengths: detail and space (but in a different way than the CKs)
- Weaknesses: fit, some may perceive it to be bass lite, can sound boring at times

What I have heard:
W3:
- Strengths: Good instrument separation and mids
- Weaknesses: Warmth can reduce the perceived detail, soundstage is just average
UM3X:
- Strengths: Accurate reproduction of music, instrument separation
- Weaknesses: Can sound boring and has a small soundstage
SE530:
- Strengths: Great mids
- Weaknesses: Treble extension (I didn't give this much time because I dislike the sound signature).

What I have read about:
e-Q7:
- Strengths:Bass and mids are top notch, detail and accuracy
- Weaknesses:Treble sometimes not smooth (or matching others in the price point), fit issues

Again, please copy and past and add your thoughts to specific IEMs/all IEMs on here. Maybe when this is done it can be added to the first post.
post #827 of 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
UM3X:
- Strengths: Accurate reproduction of music, instrument separation
- Weaknesses: Can sound boring and has a small soundstage
What I have read about:
e-Q7:
- Strengths:Bass and mids are top notch, detail and accuracy
- Weaknesses:Treble sometimes not smooth (or matching others in the price point), fit issues
I think UM3X actually has a realistic soundstage - it doesn't add any extra space that isn't there on the recording, nor does it take any away. I think it presents space, especially depth and images much better than most other IEMs I've heard.


Regarding the e-Q7, I can't really agree that it is all that detailed and accurate. Yes, the detail is very good, but UM3X has better detail IMO. Also, e-Q7 is not flat- it has some spikes and dips in the mids and treble, so it's not technically accurate. However, it is very natural sounding and especially excels at reproducing real instruments. UM3X on the other hand, is much flatter and technically more accurate, but does not sound particularly natural - it has a somewhat plasticy tone to my ears. Music just sounds a bit fake through UM3X.

You nailed the treble and fit part though.
post #828 of 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianist View Post
I think UM3X actually has a realistic soundstage - it doesn't add any extra space that isn't there on the recording, nor does it take any away. I think it presents space, especially depth and images much better than most other IEMs I've heard.
OK, let me try to understand this...the IE8, for example, that portrays a wider space is creating it on it's own? In my listening to the IE8 there are some songs where the soundstage is very close across my IEMs and other songs where the IE8 takes the soundstage to a whole other level. I think it is the opposite as most IEMs (or all) compress the soundstage, just some compress it more than others.

And while I have not A/Bed the UM3X and CK10, I think the CK10 excels at space, depth, and especially the weakest part I have heard in all IEMs, height. It's imaging is what makes it a keeper for me! While I did think the UM3X imaged well, I would dare say the CK10 is better due to it's wider overall presentation.


Quote:
Regarding the e-Q7, I can't really agree that it is all that detailed and accurate. Yes, the detail is very good, but UM3X has better detail IMO. Also, e-Q7 is not flat- it has some spikes and dips in the mids and treble, so it's not technically accurate. However, it is very natural sounding and especially excels at reproducing real instruments. UM3X on the other hand, is much flatter and technically more accurate, but does not sound particularly natural - it has a somewhat plasticy tone to my ears. Music just sounds a bit fake through UM3X.

You nailed the treble and fit part though.
I was going off what I have read, so your points are valid, mine are regurgitated! But I will find out soon myself about the e-Q7.
post #829 of 881
I think that this topic warrants a separate thread. However, I will add that it's remiss to leave the TF10 off any "top-tier" IEM list. Unfortunately, the reputation of this IEM has been devalued as a result of the Amazon $99.00 sale.
post #830 of 881
I guess you caved and bought the eQ7 joe? :P

@iponderous: sadly that is true but that's bound to happen as due to the lower price of $99 more people have the ability to purchase them compared to the $250-300ish it was priced at before depending on how good a deal you got. I still think it's a good iem just not my cup of tea.
post #831 of 881
The reason I didn't include the TF10 is because I think it does not really compete with the rest. They all have an area they excel at IMO, and could be considered the best except the TF10. The CK90Pro might be dropped, bit it does have the CK10 detail and imaging that is very close with a sound sig that would be appreciated by more on this thread.

I know you really like it, and I am not saying it is bad, but it is a step down IMO.

If many others disagree, I will throw it in with the rest.
post #832 of 881
average_joe, should the ER-4P/S not be included (particularly with the APS cable that some rave about)?

From reading I have gathered:

Strength : Speed, accuracy, detail
Weakness : comfort, microphonics, spaciousness

I also agree with the omission of the TF10, personally.
post #833 of 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
UM3X:
- Strengths: Accurate reproduction of music, instrument separation
- Weaknesses: Can sound boring and has a small soundstage.
The UM3x is far from boring. How can an accurate reproduction of music sound boring? I can't understand why IEMS with colored sound are consider "fun".
post #834 of 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
The reason I didn't include the TF10 is because I think it does not really compete with the rest. They all have an area they excel at IMO, and could be considered the best except the TF10. The CK90Pro might be dropped, bit it does have the CK10 detail and imaging that is very close with a sound sig that would be appreciated by more on this thread.

I know you really like it, and I am not saying it is bad, but it is a step down IMO.

If many others disagree, I will throw it in with the rest.
I consider the TF10, ER4P and IE8 as the best universals I've heard. Even though I prefer the more organic sounding IE8 to the TF10, I find that there's lot to like about the TF10. It has the slightly better clarity, a more focused and controlled bass as well as a more effortlessly detailed presentation than the IE8. So I still consider them to be top tier like the others.
post #835 of 881
I did think of the ER4P
( that is the 75 ohm version, right?), but only heard it for 10 minutes. My limited experience makes me think the sound sig is close to the CK10, but the CK10 images better.

And I guess the UM3X seemed to lack dynamics and a good sized space that gets me involved with the music. But I did include them

I will start a new thread later tonight got this discussion and put it in what I think will be an easy to read format.
post #836 of 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe View Post
The reason I didn't include the TF10 is because I think it does not really compete with the rest. They all have an area they excel at IMO, and could be considered the best except the TF10. The CK90Pro might be dropped, bit it does have the CK10 detail and imaging that is very close with a sound sig that would be appreciated by more on this thread.

I know you really like it, and I am not saying it is bad, but it is a step down IMO.

If many others disagree, I will throw it in with the rest.
Having owned the UM3X and still owning the SE530, IE8 and the TF10, I disagree with your assessment. Be that as it may, I really do think this thread is being taken off-track with this discussion. Why don't you start a new one?

EDIT: I see that you are going to do that now; good.

I'm perplexed by your list though. You identify weaknesses with the UM3X and the SE530. You even state that you did not like the SE530, yet you omit the TF10. They all perform at a similar level to my ears. Yes, I do prefer the TF10 and I disliked the UM3X, but I couldn't in good conscience omit the UM3X from a list of top tier IEMs because its sound signature didn't appeal.
post #837 of 881
anyway there is a thread for these top iem's now

just to get back on track..i was wondering about the ortofon. are the stock tips decent or do i have to look elsewhere like the CK10? dont wanna wait a week to find out i need to find better tips :P
post #838 of 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post
just to get back on track..i was wondering about the ortofon. are the stock tips decent or do i have to look elsewhere like the CK10? dont wanna wait a week to find out i need to find better tips :P
If you don't mind the lack of isolation they will do just fine.UE single flanges are great alternative but they do sound slightly less airy than the stock tips but they do isolate a lot better.
post #839 of 881
Sorry for taking the thread off track.

@ rawrster: yes, I did.
post #840 of 881
a shame I just got rid of all my UE single flanges :P I guess I'll have to see if hybrids work

@joe : nice! did you get it from alo? if you did you will get it much much faster than mine :P
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Impressions of the Ortofon e-Q7 versus the IE8, CK100, SE530, FX500 and X10 (plus CK10 discussion from post #120)