New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Throat mics?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Want to get a new mic for gaming and general Skype usage. Been looking at something like this: Triumph Throat Mic Headset for cell phones
Anyone have any experiences that they can share with these types of throat mics? They look pretty interesting, as they will only transmit your own voice, and nothing in the background.
post #2 of 12
Thar look interesting, too bad it's not Nokia compatible.
post #3 of 12
I don't know about that specific mic or other throat mics on the market, but the ones we use in the army make it much harder for the person on the other end to understand you. The only situation where we'd be required to use them is during a chemical/biological attack while wearing a gasmask, or when under direct artillery fire.
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey616 View Post
I don't know about that specific mic or other throat mics on the market, but the ones we use in the army make it much harder for the person on the other end to understand you. The only situation where we'd be required to use them is during a chemical/biological attack while wearing a gasmask, or when under direct artillery fire.
this is the most negative assessment of audio gear I can possibly imagine.

Does it make you sound like this guy?

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey616 View Post
I don't know about that specific mic or other throat mics on the market, but the ones we use in the army make it much harder for the person on the other end to understand you. The only situation where we'd be required to use them is during a chemical/biological attack while wearing a gasmask, or when under direct artillery fire.
Interesting, from what I can dig up about throat mics, paintballers and motorcycle riders love them.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey616 View Post
I don't know about that specific mic or other throat mics on the market, but the ones we use in the army make it much harder for the person on the other end to understand you. The only situation where we'd be required to use them is during a chemical/biological attack while wearing a gasmask, or when under direct artillery fire.
HEYY!! that's what i'm trained in as well.. we have special mics as well, but instead of pressing them against the throat, we press it against the top of the skull
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyGorilla View Post
this is the most negative assessment of audio gear I can possibly imagine.

Does it make you sound like this guy?

I have no idea what that guy sounds like, but I'm thinking even less intelligible since that guy seemingly works for a radio station.

As I said, it's possible that other throat mics work fine - just the one I've used didn't.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey616 View Post
I have no idea what that guy sounds like, but I'm thinking even less intelligible since that guy seemingly works for a radio station.

As I said, it's possible that other throat mics work fine - just the one I've used didn't.
That would be Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog.

Dailymotion - Triumph The Insult Comic Dog - Star Wars - a Funny video

And I've heard some people recommend a Zalman throat mic for gaming? I'll try to dig up the thread I saw that in, but I'm pretty sure it was in the headphone forum.
post #9 of 12
I bought a cheap one off of eBay intended for use with XBox Live chat. Long story short, it did not work at all. Either a wiring issue, or more likely an impedence issue. They are usually meant for use with PTT or VOX systems with radios, not cell phones.

I'd be interested in one that was specifically meant for cell phone use, and not just an adapted radio one.

-Ed
post #10 of 12
I'm thinking of hooking my grado sr60's up to my 360 for call of duty and am thinking of getting a throat mic, if anyone comes across a good one for gaming please let me know.
post #11 of 12
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Issue with that mic is that it picks up EVERYTHING, a no-no, especially in an apartment with 5 people. Having people only hearing me is a huge requirement at this point.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home