or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Grados? - Page 3

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
Undoubtedly the RS1s SHOULD be better. But my only concern is harshness/brightness. The 325 is supposed to be a step up form the 225, yet everyone says it's brighter and hotter/harsher in the trebles, and a step down. My ears are very sensitive to that, so that's why I ask. You say the RS1s dominate, but how?
The 325 is the odd one out in the range; it's a beast. THe RS series is bright and refined, bright, but not harsh. IMO.
post #32 of 52

Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
The 325 is the odd one out in the range; it's a beast. THe RS series is bright and refined, bright, but not harsh. IMO.
Having owned all three (SR225i, SR325is and RS1) I can easily say that the RS1s are not too bright, but much smoother in the high end.

I also concur that the SR325is are the black sheep of the Prestige Series. They literally made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up from their shrilly highs. Really fatiguing over time.

Not to mention, they were damn heavy and as a result not very comfortable to use for more than 30 minutes.
post #33 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
The 325 is the odd one out in the range; it's a beast. THe RS series is bright and refined, bright, but not harsh. IMO.
Personally, when I owned the 325is, the only way I could listen to them for more than 20 minutes was using Radioshack foamy pads.

RadioShack® Replacement Headphone Pads (2 Pair) - RadioShack.com

Otherwise, they were completely unlistenable to me.

That said, the RS1 is beautifully balanced and comfortable.
post #34 of 52
Currently, I own the SR325i and a MS-Pro with distancers - the so called Ulti mod.
Concerning the comfort of the SR325i, this is extremly dependent on your head. I have no issues wearing them for long time - whereas with my ATH M50 I can't listen for too long because they get uncomfortable. And about those you find not much discussion about the comfort.
I think the SR325i are a great headphone. They benefit from amplification. The MS-Pro sounds fine out of my discman whereas the SR325i sound thin compared to their sound when amplified. For sure the MS-Pro is the better alrounder for me. they sound relaxed, warmer compared to the SR325i and with the mod they have a nice soundstage for a Grado headphone. but still for some recordings the SR325i is great. Accoustic stuff and some rock...
All to say when you read the other postings in this threads from people, who experienced the SR325i different, the best option before buying a headphone is to try it yourself and see how you like it...
post #35 of 52
Just to throw my vote, they definitely have a noticeable difference in terms of overall SQ.
post #36 of 52
to urbo 73, hi there, sounds like the HF-1 to me. I have SR125, HF-1 and HF-2. Finally, something I can talk about. Less bright, limited edition (480 something made), displaced by HF-2 (flavor of the month+), temporary dip in value. I love mine. Good upside potential.
post #37 of 52
Sorry to bring back an old thread. I am considering some grados in the $200 or less range. Seems like people generally love the sr225i, and that the sr80i is worth the $20 over the sr60i. What about the sr125i? What does it lack compared to the sr225i?
post #38 of 52

I have just received a pair of SR60i Grados as a free sale ‘bonus‘ with a Meridian Explorer portable DAC. I already own the Q701, the HD650 and the HD 800, but I am listening to these with real pleasure - they are so good. Am now suffering from upgradoitis.

post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 

I have just received a pair of SR60i Grados as a free sale ‘bonus‘ with a Meridian Explorer portable DAC. I already own the Q701, the HD650 and the HD 800, but I am listening to these with real pleasure - they are so good. Am now suffering from upgradoitis.


Maybe can find you a used SR225i in the B/S/T forums for around $150

 

That would be a nice upgrade, and would not break the bank

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 


Maybe can find you a used SR225i in the B/S/T forums for around $150

 

That would be a nice upgrade, and would not break the bank


Thanks, Whirlwind. I see that you have the RS1i cans as well. How do they compare?

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 


Thanks, Whirlwind. I see that you have the RS1i cans as well. How do they compare?


RS1 are smoother, more refined in just about every way, the SR225i is ,imo, the most you can get for the least amount....out of the Grado line.

 

The RS1 is better, but cost much more.

post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlwind View Post
 


RS1 are smoother, more refined in just about every way, the SR225i is ,imo, the most you can get for the least amount....out of the Grado line.

 

The RS1 is better, but cost much more.


Thanks for that. I've been playing the Grado Sr-60i out of a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 through the Meridian Explorer and it's very good. I don't suppose that the RS-1s are practical for that sort of thing... the temptation is to get the SR-225i NOW and then wait to weaken... are the SR-225i much better than the SR-60i cans? Sorry to ask so many questions. I could pull the trigger on the SR-225i immediately, but the RS-1s will require bank robbery, or a little embezzlement or something. Still, do-able...

post #43 of 52
The SR225i have better matched drivers, better cable, and different pads then the SR60i. The cable is least likely to make any difference in SQ (if any). The different pads, well, you can buy the L-cush pads for yourself for $20. My experience is with the SR80i and the SR225i, and I feel like the L-cush pads will take the SR80i 80% of the way or so to the SR225i sound because the L-cush help to make the Grados more revealing.
post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 


Thanks for that. I've been playing the Grado Sr-60i out of a Microsoft Surface Pro 2 through the Meridian Explorer and it's very good. I don't suppose that the RS-1s are practical for that sort of thing... the temptation is to get the SR-225i NOW and then wait to weaken... are the SR-225i much better than the SR-60i cans? Sorry to ask so many questions. I could pull the trigger on the SR-225i immediately, but the RS-1s will require bank robbery, or a little embezzlement or something. Still, do-able...


Personally, I would say your upgrade path would be the SR225i and then the RS1i.

 

The RS1i can be had for between $475-$500 if you get a used pair from the buy/sell/trade forum here.

 

You can find them in fantastic shape for that price.

post #45 of 52

I own the SR225i's and I think they are amazing for music only.

 

For gaming look elsewhere.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home