Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier - Page 2

post #16 of 296
PICS? All the website pics are of the EF1 so I'm assuming that the specs are off as well.
post #17 of 296
HPA, is there a thread where you describe your experience with the EF2 ? I am particularly interested in your tube-rolling efforts and what it has cost you to get it to the level of performance you describe. I had previously read that it was a good introduction to tube amps, and had plenty of power, but was too bright for most. If I can locate a pair of HD600s for the right price in Singapore, I suspect that a tube amp will be on my shopping list, my preference for SS amps notwithstanding.
post #18 of 296
post #19 of 296
Zanth,

Did it come with the wall wart or a separate power brick that's close to the same size of the amp?
post #20 of 296
Thanks amangeorge - appreciated.
post #21 of 296
Just wanted to clarify a comment made regarding Little Dot amplifiers. IMHO, their build quality is excellent and customer support is great.
post #22 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
I have the EF1 on hand and the EF5 just arrived so I can evaluate tonight. I agree with you that the EF1 is fantastic and it sounded awesome driving the HE5 (or rather the HE5 sounded awesome driven by the EF1). If the EF5 is even better, then the setup will be seriously top notch. Tonight will be fun!
I received the EF5 here today, and wondered if you could guide me in setting the two switches on the back of the PSU? I should slide the mains voltage switch up to expose the 110v, and slide the amp voltage selector up to 18v for EF5 (16v was EF1), right? This is assuming the PSU I have is not a prototype and you got one like mine that sits under the EF5 too.

So far the HE-5 sounds wonderful on my maxed Woo WA6 tonight. They can still play fairly loud on this output transformer coupled SET amp, so people can't say they only need SS amps. With the volume all the way up there is no distortion or clipping but it is louder than I am comfortable listening to for more than half a minute or so (the WA6SE that I don't have is supposed to have 3x more power, but it isn't needed here). The SAC KH1000 amp for my AKG K1000 phones also works great with the HE-5, and it has more power than I could ever use with the HE-5, K1000 or HD800.

The HE-5 bass is wonderfully deep and full with good impact and speed, vocals are rich and present, and the highs to my ears are not anywhere close to being too much but are crisp and vivid. The bass is a little more awesome with the SAC amp, but the bass with the WA6 is very good. It's too late at night to pull out my Grado RS-1 and HD800 to compare to HE-5 right now, as I already woke up my wife once with the sound out of the open-back and it upset her. (this is why I have IEM and closed phones like LA7000). I will have much more to report over the next few days.
post #23 of 296
Interesting that you're having no problems driving them with the WA6... it makes me wonder if the production version has been tweaked at all to be a little easier to drive than the version we tried at RMAF. When you get a chance, I'd be interested to hear if they sound any better on your ZDT than they did at the show
post #24 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I received the EF5 here today, and wondered if you could guide me in setting the two switches on the back of the PSU? I should slide the mains voltage switch up to expose the 110v, and slide the amp voltage selector up to 18v for EF5 (16v was EF1), right? This is assuming the PSU I have is not a prototype and you got one like mine that sits under the EF5 too.

Larry,

Did you ever find out what the proper configuration is? I emailed Fang, but have yet to get an answer for this very same question.

GLC
post #25 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmanGeorge View Post
Interesting that you're having no problems driving them with the WA6... it makes me wonder if the production version has been tweaked at all to be a little easier to drive than the version we tried at RMAF. When you get a chance, I'd be interested to hear if they sound any better on your ZDT than they did at the show
I will certainly try the ZDT later of course, and maybe some portable amps too. They can definitely play loud enough to be painful with the SAC KH1000 amp, while the loudness is simply uncomfortable with the WA6. I will guess 105 dB or louder with the WA6. I have a dB meter and will make a new baffle to insert the meter and check the volumes.

The point being I was surprised by the sound quality and balance with WA6 and would typically only listen with the volume control at about 1-2 o'clock which I am guessing is 85-90 dB, yet I can take it to max at 5 o'clock on the volume knob without clipping or distortion of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Larry,

Did you ever find out what the proper configuration is? I emailed Fang, but have yet to get an answer for this very same question.

GLC
Not heard back yet, but they typically respond once a day in the evening, and it was past bedtime when I posed my question last night.
post #26 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Larry,

Did you ever find out what the proper configuration is? I emailed Fang, but have yet to get an answer for this very same question.

GLC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
Not heard back yet, but they typically respond once a day in the evening, and it was past bedtime when I posed my question last night.
Actually, they did reply and it was misfiled in my mail application: The email this morning said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head-Direct
Dear Larry,

Great to know you like them. You will have to switch to 110v input. You need to switch to 18v setting as well. In addition, the switch on the top of front panel is high gain and low gain switch. For headphone cans, high gain is better normally.

Best,
Fang
So, you want 18v as we guessed, and the 110v lettering should be exposed. If you plug it in set for 220v it will be underpowered and maybe not turn on, but I don't see how it would hurt it. I did see the gain switch last night. So, I'll be testing the EF5 tonight.
post #27 of 296
Larry,

Thanks for the clarification.

GLC
post #28 of 296
I have a Little Dot MK11 and I disagree with the build quality, Mine is built like a tank and sounds fantastic with all my headphones. The general consensus in the amp forums show Little Dot as being a favorite and go to recommendation.
post #29 of 296
Larry,

Does it still look like the EF1? PICs Please?
post #30 of 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomy3555 View Post
Larry,

Does it still look like the EF1? PICs Please?
Pics moved to the mini-review 11/22/09
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier