or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New K601 impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New K601 impressions - Page 3

post #31 of 48
I personally find that your-can-doesn't-sound-right-because-your-amp sucks approach a bit questionable
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen View Post
I personally find that your-can-doesn't-sound-right-because-your-amp sucks approach a bit questionable
If we were talking the SR325, I would agree - great cans regardless of source/amp. If I asked you to run your HD600s straight from an iPod, you might be less enthusiastic. I dont know why AKG, Senn and Beyer insist on making hard -to-drive cans for the home user, but I'm sure they have their reasons - the 601 is one of those cans. Trust me, I dont like it any more than you do - the 501s are considerably easier to drive and smoother all round : not Grados, but a lot closer to the headphone that the average person at home can listen to and enjoy straight from a CDP or soundcard (my X drives them without problems, but the iPod just doesnt have the juice).
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen View Post
I personally find that your-can-doesn't-sound-right-because-your-amp sucks approach a bit questionable
It depends. If you're clipping the amplifier you're going to have distortion.

Honestly, do I believe a K701 needs to be amped? Maybe for volume, or if you want to add a tube sound to it . . . but on its own it's a relative simple load across all frequencies with no huge jumps to strain an amp.

On the other hand, the K601 is less efficient, and has a large peak in impedance needing at least an amp capable of powering a 250ohm load to not clip.

Then you get to Senns. They often pop into 600-650ohm territory. Once again . . . a very infamous load to drive.

Then Grado, Audio Technica, and some others offer comparatively easy loads to all of the above. They are efficient and tend not to cause amplifier clipping from any decent device.

The question is . . . how much amplifier do you need? Well consider that you can get 101dB at 1mw out of the K601 and 105dB out of the K701. These level are enough to kill your hearing as is, but some scream for dynamic range.

Look at these impedance plots:



As we can see . . . these may be harder loads for a simple MP3 player, etc. However I often hear "portable/cheap amps can't work", and to those I say: bollocks.

The Mini^3 HP edition can put out 300mW into a 33ohm load, and 30 into a 330ohm load. This means more than sufficient volume to kill your hearing and absolutely no clipping or distortion. Combine this with the solid RMAA results and there's no reason it's not capable of driving either phone.

Just to show that it doesn't take an expensive amp to make these headphone work properly. If we were talking Sennheiser on the other hand . . .

So for those considering these phones . . . make sure you can drive them properly. If you can and you still don't like them then sell them off unless you want to try using tubes to fix them . . . which if you must "fix" a headphone than there's already an issue.
post #34 of 48
Thread Starter 
Something I did notice was that the K601 is quieter than the HD600 when switching between the two. I would think it would be the opposite due to the HD600 being 300 ohm as opposed to the 120 ohm K601.
post #35 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post
Something I did notice was that the K601 is quieter than the HD600 when switching between the two. I would think it would be the opposite due to the HD600 being 300 ohm as opposed to the 120 ohm K601.
That actually is quite odd. The K601 is more efficient and generally headphone amps put out more power into lower loads.

It could be how you perceive the sound signature, or something could be funny with that amp on the NAD . . .

EDIT:

PS:

The HD600 isn't a straight 300ohm load. Like speakers and many dynamic drivers they are reactive loads. See this:

post #36 of 48
Thread Starter 
It is definitely not my imagination, as I have to turn down the volume because the HD600 are noticeably louder when switching between the two.
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn View Post
It is definitely not my imagination, as I have to turn down the volume because the HD600 are noticeably louder when switching between the two.
Then I'd probably be looking at the NAD . . . it seems odd that it would have an issue driving them. Not sure what their exact implementation is though.
post #38 of 48
Ok, those of us who have the habit to listen a bit louder maybe need stronger amps for certain cans that are harder to drive. I personally get enough volume out of DT880/K701/HD6*0 out of any flash player thingy and use my amps mostly for their better soundscape and for sheer "gearitis reasons".

But in my modest volumes, I never ever experienced any HP sounding bad because of bad source, except those high ohm integrated amp plugs - and those sound only bad with low ohm cans such as Gradessandros or ATs.
post #39 of 48
Thread Starter 
I also wanted to make some notes on the build quality and aesthetics of the K601. In most pictures the K601 look to be black but in person I would say they are a very dark shade of brown and not pure black. The build quality is good but feels a bit cheap in my hands. This is likely the result of trying to keep weight and costs down but it makes them seem less of a luxury item. As for comfort they are very pleasant to wear providing enough force to stay in place without excessive pressure. It would be good if AKG stepped up their build quality and material choice to reflect the precision sound these cans produce.
post #40 of 48
That is interesting, as according to statistics on both manufacturer websites, the HD600 has the lower sensitivity too; 97 dB/mW compared to 101 dB/mW of the K601.
post #41 of 48
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb09 View Post
That is interesting, as according to statistics on both manufacturer websites, the HD600 has the lower sensitivity too; 97 dB/mW compared to 101 dB/mW of the K601.
I'm a bit confused, are you saying the HD600 should be the harder to drive of the two?
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb09 View Post
That is interesting, as according to statistics on both manufacturer websites, the HD600 has the lower sensitivity too; 97 dB/mW compared to 101 dB/mW of the K601.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. More efficient and an easier load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogzthmn
I'm a bit confused, are you say the HD600 should be the harder to drive of the two?
That's exactly what we're saying.
post #43 of 48
Thread Starter 
I think my NAD might be adjusting its headphone output according to the headphones I plug in. I connected some denon earbuds which are 32 ohm and noticed that I had to turn the volume knob to the same position as the HD600 to achieve the same level of volume.
post #44 of 48
I have an AKG 702 and Senn HD650. On a Sony integrated, the AKG requires 19 on the dial, the Senn 14. Similar results with a couple of deluxe Cmoys. The AKG is MUCH less efficient in practise, whatever the theory says.

Incidentally, I've burned my 702 in for 300 hours with pink noise. The sound has improved enormously, but I still find it somewhat thin and unforgiving, especially on older material. I'll be sticking with the Senns, both 650 and 595, as I find them much more balanced and practical with real-world (as opposed to demonstration) material.
post #45 of 48
i had to return the borrowed K601 back to my friend yesterday. i still want to try a pair of K501 before i buy a pair though. a great pair of HPs and complement my DT990 nicely.

they do sound a bit anemic out of my BM DAC1, but fleshed out nicely with the M3 and B22.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › New K601 impressions