Good to see this little marvel back on current pages. Rays smaller amps (Shadow; P51) have always been in my rotation and I think they are still incredibly good sounding and powerful little amps. Nico_g, I think you made the right choice (although I also have the Pico Slim that I use for my JH13s, a small amp that is really good with IEMs) given you had a chance to listen to some really good amps in Hong Kong. Lucky you!
Related Forum Threads
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Caution for new head-fi peeps.... Last post on 12/7/12 at 7:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
- Audio technica ATH M50 (Integrated soundcard or Dedicated sound card) Last post on 2/9/13 at 7:50pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
I just received this device, along with a FiIO X5 to replace my now discontinued iPod classic. At first I liked this device - smaller, lighter than the FiIO, although only 1 slot. Shipped...
i just bought an Asus Vulcan pro gaming headset on a whim and I've gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised so I thought id share my experience. Now let me qualify this, I'm not saying they have the same...
Warm sound, good mid, great price Easy to drive compare with other studio headphone, there is shouldn't be too much complaint consider this headphone now only retail about $70 and sound really...
So the Pan Am from ALO Audio. This little guy is pretty dang impressive. An excellently-built, functioning desktop solution that is pretty easy on the eyes too! For the record, I've got the whole...
REVIEW: Brainwavz S5 Specifications: (from Brainwavz site) Driver: 10mm Dynamic Rated Impedance: 16 Ω Frequency Range: 18Hz - 24kHz Sensitivity: 110 dB @ 1 mW Cable: 1.3m,...
Shadow Impressions - Page 15post #211 of 2232/11/13 at 3:48pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #212 of 2232/13/13 at 4:26am
it was really a big chance to find this shop in HK !
I'm from France, and here, there is no shop like this. I was only able to compare the Fostex HP-P1 DAC-Amp, against my Tomahawk in a store in Paris.
When I bought the Tomahawk, it was a blind decision because I was unable to test it.
I confirm that only real testing can help making the best choice. But my conclusions are in good agreement with a lot of review posted in this forum.post #213 of 2232/13/13 at 4:28pm
You're not kidding you were lucky, nico. I lived in Paris quite awhile ago and there was nothing like what you found. Unlike you - other than the Tomahawk - most of my amp purchases were "blind" having to makes decisions based on what people said on head-fi fora. Mostly, I have been pleased with what I bought. But in Hong Kong you were able to try out some good amps and use your listening to decide. We don't always get that chance unless you go to meets.
I'd be interested in hearing about your new amp.post #214 of 2232/14/13 at 10:01am
My new amp is a little gem : I'm very pleased with the sound, even if it probably need some burn-in. The battery lasts forever !
I only have a concern with my old LOD (from ALO) : there is some loose contact with my Ipod and i tried to fix it but the problem comes back after a few weeks.
So, I need to buy a new LOD.
I don't want to spend more than 150-200$ and I've found some interestinf models from Whiplash, ALO or RSA.
I prefer if the LOD has the highest Ipod connector quality because those contacts are so tiny that I think that's one of the weakest point in LOD design.
For example, I listed :
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-occ-cryo-22awg-iphone-ipod-cable (same Ipod connector as my LOD)
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-18awg-occ-triple-pipe-cryo-ipod (best ipod connector)
Whiplash seems to be good but very expensive if you want to have the best Ipod connector.
All advices are welcome !post #215 of 2232/14/13 at 4:36pm
I have a Whiplash LOD from my Nano 6 > Shadow, but the one that is much smaller than the one you show. I'll see if I can find it on Craig's website and send you the link.post #216 of 2232/14/13 at 4:41pm
There's a left and right exit. The one Craig made for me is a middle exit with a really short - I mean miniscule! - cable and a small angled jack. Craig will custom build one for you. Juts be prepared to wait a bit!post #217 of 2232/18/13 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the link. I think I prefer straight LOD, against angled ones, because the Shadow is too small and has to be located far from the bottom of my Ipod Classic.
Edited by nico_g - 2/19/13 at 2:21pmpost #218 of 2232/19/13 at 4:51pmQuote:
Makes sense. Still, I would suggest working with a cable builder to see how small a footprint LOD they can build. Let us know what you end up with. Pictures, of course!! All the best in your search.post #219 of 2233/7/13 at 3:21pm
Love this amp. Very black background and great volume control with my IEMs.
I just picked it up used on eBay ($239 shipped). Here's a pic, is this serial# 10, or #5010?
Also, does the charging LED go out? Is it OK to leave it plugged in to the supplied charger for and extended period of time?
Cheers!post #220 of 2233/7/13 at 5:31pmQuote:
Yes, the LED charging light does go out when it's fully charged. I have had amp plugged in overnight (8-9 hours) to charge without any problems. However, I have never used it on a charger for any extended time.
As you say, a great little sounding amp. I use it with my Nano 6 and Klipsch X10 for ultraportable listening.post #221 of 2233/11/13 at 11:57pmpost #222 of 22310/7/13 at 12:04ampost #223 of 22311/10/13 at 5:04am
- Shadow Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › WyWires Red Headphone Cable 16 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 18 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA 2 Headphone Amplifier USB DAC (iPhone IPod iPad) 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Music City Meet -- Nashville, TN -- Fall 2014 (Sept 20, 2014) 5 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 6 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 7 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 9 minutes ago
- › Interest Check: Upcoming Meet at CANPAX @ TAVES? 10 minutes ago
- › Schiit Owners Unite 10 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90 Portable Digital Audio Player by marhol
- › ASUS Vulcan ANC Circumaural Pro Gaming Headset by robthebiggerman
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)