Good to see this little marvel back on current pages. Rays smaller amps (Shadow; P51) have always been in my rotation and I think they are still incredibly good sounding and powerful little amps. Nico_g, I think you made the right choice (although I also have the Pico Slim that I use for my JH13s, a small amp that is really good with IEMs) given you had a chance to listen to some really good amps in Hong Kong. Lucky you!
Related Forum Threads
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Caution for new head-fi peeps.... Last post on 12/7/12 at 7:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Advanced AcousticWerkes Q Earphone Review - Expatinjapan Head Pie Advanced AcousticWerkes Q earphone with the Hifiman MegaMini Dap Advanced AcousticWerkes Q...
First of all, fantastic sound. Not necessarily *non-biased*, but possesses smooth highs, fantastically defined mids, and rich, powerful, yet completely not overwhelming bass. I accidentally broke...
Thinksound On2 Review: A Wonderful Wooden On-Ear With A Small Ecological Footprint I like Thinksound products. I always have, with the exception of the On1. It was a product that had so much...
Hidizs AP60 Review: A Tiny Little Fighter Hidizs is a Chinese company that’s been building DAPs for number of years now, starting with their current flagship, the AP100, a device I’ve really...
REVIEW: Remax RM-800MD Specifications: Driver: Knowles Balanced armature + 9.2mm dynamic driver Impedance: 16ohm Sensitivity: 98dB Frequency Response: 20Hz-20 kHz Price: U$D...
Shadow Impressions - Page 15post #211 of 2232/11/13 at 3:48pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #212 of 2232/13/13 at 4:26am
it was really a big chance to find this shop in HK !
I'm from France, and here, there is no shop like this. I was only able to compare the Fostex HP-P1 DAC-Amp, against my Tomahawk in a store in Paris.
When I bought the Tomahawk, it was a blind decision because I was unable to test it.
I confirm that only real testing can help making the best choice. But my conclusions are in good agreement with a lot of review posted in this forum.post #213 of 2232/13/13 at 4:28pm
You're not kidding you were lucky, nico. I lived in Paris quite awhile ago and there was nothing like what you found. Unlike you - other than the Tomahawk - most of my amp purchases were "blind" having to makes decisions based on what people said on head-fi fora. Mostly, I have been pleased with what I bought. But in Hong Kong you were able to try out some good amps and use your listening to decide. We don't always get that chance unless you go to meets.
I'd be interested in hearing about your new amp.post #214 of 2232/14/13 at 10:01am
My new amp is a little gem : I'm very pleased with the sound, even if it probably need some burn-in. The battery lasts forever !
I only have a concern with my old LOD (from ALO) : there is some loose contact with my Ipod and i tried to fix it but the problem comes back after a few weeks.
So, I need to buy a new LOD.
I don't want to spend more than 150-200$ and I've found some interestinf models from Whiplash, ALO or RSA.
I prefer if the LOD has the highest Ipod connector quality because those contacts are so tiny that I think that's one of the weakest point in LOD design.
For example, I listed :
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-occ-cryo-22awg-iphone-ipod-cable (same Ipod connector as my LOD)
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-18awg-occ-triple-pipe-cryo-ipod (best ipod connector)
Whiplash seems to be good but very expensive if you want to have the best Ipod connector.
All advices are welcome !post #215 of 2232/14/13 at 4:36pm
I have a Whiplash LOD from my Nano 6 > Shadow, but the one that is much smaller than the one you show. I'll see if I can find it on Craig's website and send you the link.post #216 of 2232/14/13 at 4:41pm
There's a left and right exit. The one Craig made for me is a middle exit with a really short - I mean miniscule! - cable and a small angled jack. Craig will custom build one for you. Juts be prepared to wait a bit!post #217 of 2232/18/13 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the link. I think I prefer straight LOD, against angled ones, because the Shadow is too small and has to be located far from the bottom of my Ipod Classic.
Edited by nico_g - 2/19/13 at 2:21pmpost #218 of 2232/19/13 at 4:51pmQuote:
Makes sense. Still, I would suggest working with a cable builder to see how small a footprint LOD they can build. Let us know what you end up with. Pictures, of course!! All the best in your search.post #219 of 2233/7/13 at 3:21pm
Love this amp. Very black background and great volume control with my IEMs.
I just picked it up used on eBay ($239 shipped). Here's a pic, is this serial# 10, or #5010?
Also, does the charging LED go out? Is it OK to leave it plugged in to the supplied charger for and extended period of time?
Cheers!post #220 of 2233/7/13 at 5:31pmQuote:
Yes, the LED charging light does go out when it's fully charged. I have had amp plugged in overnight (8-9 hours) to charge without any problems. However, I have never used it on a charger for any extended time.
As you say, a great little sounding amp. I use it with my Nano 6 and Klipsch X10 for ultraportable listening.post #221 of 2233/11/13 at 11:57pmpost #222 of 22310/7/13 at 12:04ampost #223 of 22311/10/13 at 5:04am
- Shadow Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Earbuds Round-Up 12 seconds ago
- › New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation 1 minute ago
- › New tube amp: the Cayin HA-1A MK2 1 minute ago
- › WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor (DAP | USB DAC | USB Transport... 2 minutes ago
- › Shanling M5 Impressions & Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › XDuoo XD-05 Portable Dac/Amp Introduction - Impressions 2 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-3, practically new 3 minutes ago
- › 2017 UK Head-Fi Meet (April 2nd @ Milton Keynes) 3 minutes ago
- › Liquid Gold - 2014 9 minutes ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ExpatinJapan
- › RHA MA750i by Peter Zhang
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by Cinder
- › Hidizs AP60 HiFi Mini Bluetooth Lossless MP3 Portable Music Player... by Cinder
- › Remax RM-800MD by Zelda
- › Burson Audio Supreme Sound Opamp V5i by killerline
- › Over Ear Headphone Shareme 4.1 Bluetooth Foldable Headsets with... by genclaymore
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by Brooko
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...