Good to see this little marvel back on current pages. Rays smaller amps (Shadow; P51) have always been in my rotation and I think they are still incredibly good sounding and powerful little amps. Nico_g, I think you made the right choice (although I also have the Pico Slim that I use for my JH13s, a small amp that is really good with IEMs) given you had a chance to listen to some really good amps in Hong Kong. Lucky you!
Related Forum Threads
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Caution for new head-fi peeps.... Last post on 12/7/12 at 7:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
These are great headphones I was turned onto from the forum. On this forum you have to assess who is enthusiastic about what. Generally, there is a difference between enthusiasm from novices...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Shadow Impressions - Page 15post #211 of 2232/11/13 at 3:48pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #212 of 2232/13/13 at 4:26am
it was really a big chance to find this shop in HK !
I'm from France, and here, there is no shop like this. I was only able to compare the Fostex HP-P1 DAC-Amp, against my Tomahawk in a store in Paris.
When I bought the Tomahawk, it was a blind decision because I was unable to test it.
I confirm that only real testing can help making the best choice. But my conclusions are in good agreement with a lot of review posted in this forum.post #213 of 2232/13/13 at 4:28pm
You're not kidding you were lucky, nico. I lived in Paris quite awhile ago and there was nothing like what you found. Unlike you - other than the Tomahawk - most of my amp purchases were "blind" having to makes decisions based on what people said on head-fi fora. Mostly, I have been pleased with what I bought. But in Hong Kong you were able to try out some good amps and use your listening to decide. We don't always get that chance unless you go to meets.
I'd be interested in hearing about your new amp.post #214 of 2232/14/13 at 10:01am
My new amp is a little gem : I'm very pleased with the sound, even if it probably need some burn-in. The battery lasts forever !
I only have a concern with my old LOD (from ALO) : there is some loose contact with my Ipod and i tried to fix it but the problem comes back after a few weeks.
So, I need to buy a new LOD.
I don't want to spend more than 150-200$ and I've found some interestinf models from Whiplash, ALO or RSA.
I prefer if the LOD has the highest Ipod connector quality because those contacts are so tiny that I think that's one of the weakest point in LOD design.
For example, I listed :
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-occ-cryo-22awg-iphone-ipod-cable (same Ipod connector as my LOD)
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-18awg-occ-triple-pipe-cryo-ipod (best ipod connector)
Whiplash seems to be good but very expensive if you want to have the best Ipod connector.
All advices are welcome !post #215 of 2232/14/13 at 4:36pm
I have a Whiplash LOD from my Nano 6 > Shadow, but the one that is much smaller than the one you show. I'll see if I can find it on Craig's website and send you the link.post #216 of 2232/14/13 at 4:41pm
There's a left and right exit. The one Craig made for me is a middle exit with a really short - I mean miniscule! - cable and a small angled jack. Craig will custom build one for you. Juts be prepared to wait a bit!post #217 of 2232/18/13 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the link. I think I prefer straight LOD, against angled ones, because the Shadow is too small and has to be located far from the bottom of my Ipod Classic.
Edited by nico_g - 2/19/13 at 2:21pmpost #218 of 2232/19/13 at 4:51pmQuote:
Makes sense. Still, I would suggest working with a cable builder to see how small a footprint LOD they can build. Let us know what you end up with. Pictures, of course!! All the best in your search.post #219 of 2233/7/13 at 3:21pm
Love this amp. Very black background and great volume control with my IEMs.
I just picked it up used on eBay ($239 shipped). Here's a pic, is this serial# 10, or #5010?
Also, does the charging LED go out? Is it OK to leave it plugged in to the supplied charger for and extended period of time?
Cheers!post #220 of 2233/7/13 at 5:31pmQuote:
Yes, the LED charging light does go out when it's fully charged. I have had amp plugged in overnight (8-9 hours) to charge without any problems. However, I have never used it on a charger for any extended time.
As you say, a great little sounding amp. I use it with my Nano 6 and Klipsch X10 for ultraportable listening.post #221 of 2233/11/13 at 11:57pmpost #222 of 22310/7/13 at 12:04ampost #223 of 22311/10/13 at 5:04am
- Shadow Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 7 seconds ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › AMP/DAC combo for 100$ Powering 600 Ω 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 4 minutes ago
- › Quote Function Not Working ? 5 minutes ago
- › Inverting the phase on headphones dramitically changes soundstage 5 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 6 minutes ago
- › *Comparison and Review* Magni/Modi vs O2/ODAC 6 minutes ago
- › Velodyne vPulse Review - Bass lovers rejoice!!! 7 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 7 minutes ago
- › beyerynamic DT 150 Compact Closed Headphone (250 Ohms) by jdpark
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Constantly being rejected, here are the...
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3