Good to see this little marvel back on current pages. Rays smaller amps (Shadow; P51) have always been in my rotation and I think they are still incredibly good sounding and powerful little amps. Nico_g, I think you made the right choice (although I also have the Pico Slim that I use for my JH13s, a small amp that is really good with IEMs) given you had a chance to listen to some really good amps in Hong Kong. Lucky you!
Related Forum Threads
- 1st Greek Headphone Festival Last post on 9/14/14 at 4:48pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Please help: quiet headphones for travel by bike and train Last post on 4/18/13 at 2:04pm in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Caution for new head-fi peeps.... Last post on 12/7/12 at 7:55am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Advice needed on a 'final' TOTL Electrostatic amp within $2k price range. Last post on 10/24/12 at 6:48pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Best Portable Headphones for under 300? Last post on 11/26/13 at 6:16am in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
At the time this review was written, the TFZ Series 3 was listed for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
PETEREK cables Balanced cable for Sony EX series. Standard custom for Sony EX series Standard 2 pin cable for LEAR,ASG,SHURE ETC. Standard MMCX...
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
Shadow Impressions - Page 15post #211 of 2232/11/13 at 3:48pm
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #212 of 2232/13/13 at 4:26am
it was really a big chance to find this shop in HK !
I'm from France, and here, there is no shop like this. I was only able to compare the Fostex HP-P1 DAC-Amp, against my Tomahawk in a store in Paris.
When I bought the Tomahawk, it was a blind decision because I was unable to test it.
I confirm that only real testing can help making the best choice. But my conclusions are in good agreement with a lot of review posted in this forum.post #213 of 2232/13/13 at 4:28pm
You're not kidding you were lucky, nico. I lived in Paris quite awhile ago and there was nothing like what you found. Unlike you - other than the Tomahawk - most of my amp purchases were "blind" having to makes decisions based on what people said on head-fi fora. Mostly, I have been pleased with what I bought. But in Hong Kong you were able to try out some good amps and use your listening to decide. We don't always get that chance unless you go to meets.
I'd be interested in hearing about your new amp.post #214 of 2232/14/13 at 10:01am
My new amp is a little gem : I'm very pleased with the sound, even if it probably need some burn-in. The battery lasts forever !
I only have a concern with my old LOD (from ALO) : there is some loose contact with my Ipod and i tried to fix it but the problem comes back after a few weeks.
So, I need to buy a new LOD.
I don't want to spend more than 150-200$ and I've found some interestinf models from Whiplash, ALO or RSA.
I prefer if the LOD has the highest Ipod connector quality because those contacts are so tiny that I think that's one of the weakest point in LOD design.
For example, I listed :
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-occ-cryo-22awg-iphone-ipod-cable (same Ipod connector as my LOD)
http://www.aloaudio.com/alo-audio-18awg-occ-triple-pipe-cryo-ipod (best ipod connector)
Whiplash seems to be good but very expensive if you want to have the best Ipod connector.
All advices are welcome !post #215 of 2232/14/13 at 4:36pm
I have a Whiplash LOD from my Nano 6 > Shadow, but the one that is much smaller than the one you show. I'll see if I can find it on Craig's website and send you the link.post #216 of 2232/14/13 at 4:41pm
There's a left and right exit. The one Craig made for me is a middle exit with a really short - I mean miniscule! - cable and a small angled jack. Craig will custom build one for you. Juts be prepared to wait a bit!post #217 of 2232/18/13 at 10:47pm
Thanks for the link. I think I prefer straight LOD, against angled ones, because the Shadow is too small and has to be located far from the bottom of my Ipod Classic.
Edited by nico_g - 2/19/13 at 2:21pmpost #218 of 2232/19/13 at 4:51pmQuote:
Makes sense. Still, I would suggest working with a cable builder to see how small a footprint LOD they can build. Let us know what you end up with. Pictures, of course!! All the best in your search.post #219 of 2233/7/13 at 3:21pm
Love this amp. Very black background and great volume control with my IEMs.
I just picked it up used on eBay ($239 shipped). Here's a pic, is this serial# 10, or #5010?
Also, does the charging LED go out? Is it OK to leave it plugged in to the supplied charger for and extended period of time?
Cheers!post #220 of 2233/7/13 at 5:31pmQuote:
Yes, the LED charging light does go out when it's fully charged. I have had amp plugged in overnight (8-9 hours) to charge without any problems. However, I have never used it on a charger for any extended time.
As you say, a great little sounding amp. I use it with my Nano 6 and Klipsch X10 for ultraportable listening.post #221 of 2233/11/13 at 11:57pmpost #222 of 22310/7/13 at 12:04ampost #223 of 22311/10/13 at 5:04am
- Shadow Impressions
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Audeze SINE Series 2 seconds ago
- › Gleam Audio / NiceHCK DZ9 (1 + 8) Discussion Thread 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser debuts a bunch of new headphones at IFA 2 minutes ago
- › AudioQuest NightHawk Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Hidizs AP60 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 2 minutes ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 2 minutes ago
- › Q: High gain? Low gain? Quality difference? 4 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 6 minutes ago
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...