The T50RP's (DBV#3) have pretty much replaced all of my other headphones. I still use other headphones for when I don't have an amp, but for the most part, I think these things are the end game for me. They blow away everything else I've heard.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
I'm giving these a 4 based on sound quality alone. I'm a cheap headphone user; I've gone from cheap headphone to cheap headphone over the past decade or so. I started with the Skullcandy Ink'd...
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My first attempt at painting headphones. Love the color combo, but am not very satisfied with the paint job overall. I followed directions on the cans, but maybe my technique is off. I could try sanding it all away and trying again, but I'm not sure it is worth it. It definitely doesn't look bad, just doesn't look professional. At any rate, these sound as good as I have heard them. Pads are the J$ Beyer pads, that actually sounds better than I remembered (also look nicer since my Audeze pads are used and the pleather ring is peeling).
I think it was 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 2 clear coats. I wasn't going to do the clear coats, but even after 48 hours, the paint seemed very soft. The clear coats helped immensely with the feel and hardness, but I still feel like this is a fragile paint job. Maybe I should have stayed with an enamel. I think the paint that I used was acrylic.
Oh, I tried acrylic once... it was a terrible mess. I did some clear coats which helped, but it still flaked off after some wear.
Dang. I knew I should have stayed with enamel. The paint was just so shiny, though. Oh well. Lessons learned.
I'm thinking I might try some of this copper hammertone paint I have sitting around on the spare T50rp shell. We'll see...
Hmm... it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but it's pretty ain't it?
This is the ugly and messy step. Rubber sealant sprayed on the inside. I did the baffles too, though forgot to take a picture.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/6/13 at 8:42am
I like it! Hides flaws nicely. Did you prime it at all? I see some black poking through here and there. I think something texturized would have hidden flaws I have on mine better (or rather an uneven coat or dust won't show up). Maybe I will try sanding mine down and re painting when I have time again.
I *should* have used primer, but didn't. For that matter, I should have disassembled the wires and sanded the whole thing first... or just go #%&! it and spray the thing.
I have no idea if this paint will stick or not, or if it'll even harden properly on plastic. It works very nicely on metal without priming at least.
Yeah, so funny thing there... I took the drivers out for my latest transplant project, so I have nothing to put back together.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/7/13 at 5:46pm
I have a pair of T50rps that my brother modded for me and which I like very much. He has another pair that I gave him to also mod.
On my first pair, I had built a cable using Mogami mini with a Neutrik RA mini connector and Neutrik 1/4". I enlarged the shell around the jack in the phone, and this had been working quite well. Lately though, I have to plug it in just right or lose sound in one or both channels. The VModa cable always works fine however.
I decided to put in a 4-pin XLR jack in the phones, and reterminate my Mogami cable in preparation for going balanced. I'm not a big fan of most of the Y-splits I've seen, which is why I didn't go for a pair of 3-pin XLRs and split the cable.
Good or bad idea? Hadn't seen anyone in this thread do anything similar, so thought I'd ask.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 9 seconds ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 51 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 52 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Emmeline P51 by Ray Samuels Audio 5 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 6 minutes ago
- › I have a question about Fiio E07K Andes 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 7 minutes ago
- › [AUS] Lachlan's 'Some Headphones Are More Equal Than Others' Sale!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by az060693
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude