The T50RP's (DBV#3) have pretty much replaced all of my other headphones. I still use other headphones for when I don't have an amp, but for the most part, I think these things are the end game for me. They blow away everything else I've heard.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
Best i-Device portable DAC ever listened to, very neutral and smooth like from a desktop DAC. Currently using it with my iPod touch 5 (Yes, it's support lightinig connector). I will prefer filter...
The entire Sony xba line is gorgeous: very sensitive and well executed lines, comfortable despite size, flat cable, nice case, a 90'plug. The first time I tried the Xba3 the sound wasn't...
I purchased this on Amazon from a vendor that had a combined listing for the older model and newer E07 Andes. So I received the new model at the old model price and saved about $20. So that was...
These earphones are slightly overpriced compared to some competitive earphones. I think. I love the over-ear construction and the isolation is superb. The sound quality is impressive and...
Have had these for 3 months after losing a pair of Pioneer HDJ 500s. Preferred the look and build quality of the Pioneers, but the Sonys look ok and fold up nicely. The HDJ 500s didn't fold, but...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My first attempt at painting headphones. Love the color combo, but am not very satisfied with the paint job overall. I followed directions on the cans, but maybe my technique is off. I could try sanding it all away and trying again, but I'm not sure it is worth it. It definitely doesn't look bad, just doesn't look professional. At any rate, these sound as good as I have heard them. Pads are the J$ Beyer pads, that actually sounds better than I remembered (also look nicer since my Audeze pads are used and the pleather ring is peeling).
I think it was 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 2 clear coats. I wasn't going to do the clear coats, but even after 48 hours, the paint seemed very soft. The clear coats helped immensely with the feel and hardness, but I still feel like this is a fragile paint job. Maybe I should have stayed with an enamel. I think the paint that I used was acrylic.
Oh, I tried acrylic once... it was a terrible mess. I did some clear coats which helped, but it still flaked off after some wear.
Dang. I knew I should have stayed with enamel. The paint was just so shiny, though. Oh well. Lessons learned.
I'm thinking I might try some of this copper hammertone paint I have sitting around on the spare T50rp shell. We'll see...
Hmm... it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but it's pretty ain't it?
This is the ugly and messy step. Rubber sealant sprayed on the inside. I did the baffles too, though forgot to take a picture.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/6/13 at 8:42am
I like it! Hides flaws nicely. Did you prime it at all? I see some black poking through here and there. I think something texturized would have hidden flaws I have on mine better (or rather an uneven coat or dust won't show up). Maybe I will try sanding mine down and re painting when I have time again.
I *should* have used primer, but didn't. For that matter, I should have disassembled the wires and sanded the whole thing first... or just go #%&! it and spray the thing.
I have no idea if this paint will stick or not, or if it'll even harden properly on plastic. It works very nicely on metal without priming at least.
Yeah, so funny thing there... I took the drivers out for my latest transplant project, so I have nothing to put back together.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/7/13 at 5:46pm
I have a pair of T50rps that my brother modded for me and which I like very much. He has another pair that I gave him to also mod.
On my first pair, I had built a cable using Mogami mini with a Neutrik RA mini connector and Neutrik 1/4". I enlarged the shell around the jack in the phone, and this had been working quite well. Lately though, I have to plug it in just right or lose sound in one or both channels. The VModa cable always works fine however.
I decided to put in a 4-pin XLR jack in the phones, and reterminate my Mogami cable in preparation for going balanced. I'm not a big fan of most of the Y-splits I've seen, which is why I didn't go for a pair of 3-pin XLRs and split the cable.
Good or bad idea? Hadn't seen anyone in this thread do anything similar, so thought I'd ask.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Official 2014 LA Head-Fi Meet, August 9, 2014, Marriott Warner Center 32 seconds ago
- › Why have more than a few pairs of headphones? 41 seconds ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 1 minute ago
- › Black Aluminum Grado 325 1 minute ago
- › Your favourite "not the best" headphones? 2 minutes ago
- › Worth improving? 3 minutes ago
- › Earphones with best isolation for outsiders? 4 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre *ES9018K2M*, New amp section. Review 1st... 5 minutes ago
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 5 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Fostex HP-P1 by Jensenchua
- › Sony XBA-3SL by squallkiercosa
- › FiiO Andes (E07K) Portable USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier -... by originalsnuffy
- › Shure SE535-V Earphone by david8090
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by Vero Golf Champ
- › Pure i20 iPod Dock by Gruffnutz
- › Astell & Kern AK240 by Currawong
- › Shure SE215 Special Edition by TherryK13
- › V-MODA XS by Tom22
- › Sony MDR-XD100 Stereo Headphones by xflight297
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob