The T50RP's (DBV#3) have pretty much replaced all of my other headphones. I still use other headphones for when I don't have an amp, but for the most part, I think these things are the end game for me. They blow away everything else I've heard.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
I've spent the past week auditioning these new VSD1S by VSonic. Before this I was listening extensively to my dual dynamics JVC FXT90's and my dual armature UE 700. For a single dynamic driver that...
I started this review with the intention of pointing out the things I don't like about it, but man, there really isn't much I don't love about these. Out of the box they sound very thin and...
It does a good job as a DAC for my starving student amp. Eventually, I will probably upgrade but it works well enough. It is nice that it powers off of USB and doesn't take up tons of space.
The review is based on the stock pads, not based on the upgraded velour pads. The only problem with the sound quality is a weird color in the upper mids, around vocal range. This is due to the...
The 880s don't have a lot of color to themselves. They're light comfortable cans that get the job done. They are a well rounded headphone good for someone who can't quite figure out what kind of...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 662
Gear mentioned in this thread:
My first attempt at painting headphones. Love the color combo, but am not very satisfied with the paint job overall. I followed directions on the cans, but maybe my technique is off. I could try sanding it all away and trying again, but I'm not sure it is worth it. It definitely doesn't look bad, just doesn't look professional. At any rate, these sound as good as I have heard them. Pads are the J$ Beyer pads, that actually sounds better than I remembered (also look nicer since my Audeze pads are used and the pleather ring is peeling).
I think it was 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 2 clear coats. I wasn't going to do the clear coats, but even after 48 hours, the paint seemed very soft. The clear coats helped immensely with the feel and hardness, but I still feel like this is a fragile paint job. Maybe I should have stayed with an enamel. I think the paint that I used was acrylic.
Oh, I tried acrylic once... it was a terrible mess. I did some clear coats which helped, but it still flaked off after some wear.
Dang. I knew I should have stayed with enamel. The paint was just so shiny, though. Oh well. Lessons learned.
I'm thinking I might try some of this copper hammertone paint I have sitting around on the spare T50rp shell. We'll see...
Hmm... it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but it's pretty ain't it?
This is the ugly and messy step. Rubber sealant sprayed on the inside. I did the baffles too, though forgot to take a picture.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/6/13 at 8:42am
I like it! Hides flaws nicely. Did you prime it at all? I see some black poking through here and there. I think something texturized would have hidden flaws I have on mine better (or rather an uneven coat or dust won't show up). Maybe I will try sanding mine down and re painting when I have time again.
I *should* have used primer, but didn't. For that matter, I should have disassembled the wires and sanded the whole thing first... or just go #%&! it and spray the thing.
I have no idea if this paint will stick or not, or if it'll even harden properly on plastic. It works very nicely on metal without priming at least.
Yeah, so funny thing there... I took the drivers out for my latest transplant project, so I have nothing to put back together.
Edited by Armaegis - 2/7/13 at 5:46pm
I have a pair of T50rps that my brother modded for me and which I like very much. He has another pair that I gave him to also mod.
On my first pair, I had built a cable using Mogami mini with a Neutrik RA mini connector and Neutrik 1/4". I enlarged the shell around the jack in the phone, and this had been working quite well. Lately though, I have to plug it in just right or lose sound in one or both channels. The VModa cable always works fine however.
I decided to put in a 4-pin XLR jack in the phones, and reterminate my Mogami cable in preparation for going balanced. I'm not a big fan of most of the Y-splits I've seen, which is why I didn't go for a pair of 3-pin XLRs and split the cable.
Good or bad idea? Hadn't seen anyone in this thread do anything similar, so thought I'd ask.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado PS500s (new Grado's) 2 minutes ago
- › E17 vs Aune T1 vs E12+Macbook air internal DAC for 250 ohm DT880 2 minutes ago
- › IC: Whiplash Audio Audeze LCD-2 8' balanced headphone cable 3 minutes ago
- › Realtek HD integrated audio 4 minutes ago
- › Question: LCD 2.2<<HE 500<< LCD 3? 6 minutes ago
- › Q701 appreciation thread 7 minutes ago
- › Open Headphones for ~200-250 euros 8 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Updated 9/2/2013: Sony... 10 minutes ago
- › VSONIC VSD1S by IEMagnet01
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 by eightbitpotion
- › NuForce Icon uDAC-2 (Black) USB DAC (24bit/96kHz) and Headphone... by jshaffe
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by jshaffe
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphone by jshaffe
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones, Black by pataburd
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude