Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 654

post #9796 of 10597
You don't need the scale or Mic unless you were trying to replicate a recipe precisely. But even then, it probably wouldnt measure identically. You are tuning the headphones to your taste since everyone hears differently. I don't necessarily want a headphone that measures perfectly, I want a headphone that sounds great. Do one mod at a time and learn what it does to the sound. This way you know what to change if you don't like it.
post #9797 of 10597
That's the answer I wanted, great advice about doing one mod at a time, I would of probably just gone the whole hog.
post #9798 of 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangster View Post

I got most of my bits from the Uni engineering department or ebay. The T50RP cost me ~£90100, SHure SRH840 pads I already had, but new ones will cost ~£15, the velour SRH940 pads are slightly more at around £20(I got mine from juno.co.uk). Overall cost was around £160. Pads and the pleather suspension band were the most expensive parts for me.

 

I've been trying to source a cheap seller of T20RPmk2s for a while now, I found one on eBay but he has since gone AWOL over the New Year. The Shure840 pads, the cheapest I've found 'in-stock' (juno constantly being out of stock for me) is thomann.de.

post #9799 of 10597

I agree.  Do one mod at a time with the intention of eventually getting to DBV #3.  You definitely don't need a scale.  I did my mod entirely without a scale or a microphone and I can tell absolutely no difference between my pair and BMF's "real" DBV #3.  I used a different brand of acoustic foam, different cotton, and different modeling clay than he did, too.

post #9800 of 10597

I have an inkling that the clay doesn't matter at all.. and that the acoustic foam and the specifics of it probably doesn't matter much. I think you could probably get away with just dampening and felt over the driver. Those would be the first mods I would do, if I was doing it again.

post #9801 of 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

 

I've been trying to source a cheap seller of T20RPmk2s for a while now, I found one on eBay but he has since gone AWOL over the New Year. The Shure840 pads, the cheapest I've found 'in-stock' (juno constantly being out of stock for me) is thomann.de.

I think Juno order the 840 pads on request. They did with my 940 pads anyhow.

post #9802 of 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 View Post

I have an inkling that the clay doesn't matter at all.. and that the acoustic foam and the specifics of it probably doesn't matter much. I think you could probably get away with just dampening and felt over the driver. Those would be the first mods I would do, if I was doing it again.

Re: the acoustic foam, I noticed a rather large difference between using closed cell foam(makeup applicators) vs silverstone acoustic foam, FWIW.  I don't think the type of clay matters too much, and, for that matter, you could probably get away with using anything to fill in that space(and change the volume of air in the housing) and dampen the housing.  Dynamat on the outside + silicone in place of clay would probably work just as well.

post #9803 of 10597
Just found the t20,40,50rp at £65,71,94 respectively at outpostdistribution (don't know about tax and postage)


Cheers

Ignore these prices, need to add vat and £13 postage
Edited by jiminy - 1/2/13 at 4:53pm
post #9804 of 10597

Could someone please direct me to the correct place to learn about custom cup creation? E.G What type of material to use for the cup, thickness of cup, space inside cup behind driver. I have searched around this thread a bit but have failed to find anything relevant to me.

post #9805 of 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zowlyfon View Post

Could someone please direct me to the correct place to learn about custom cup creation? E.G What type of material to use for the cup, thickness of cup, space inside cup behind driver. I have searched around this thread a bit but have failed to find anything relevant to me.

 

Check this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/501773/thunderpants/975

post #9806 of 10597

Does anyone know if the T20RP/T40RP/T50RP are discontinued? I've been told by 3 sellers now that they are and I'm near sweating here, this cannot be the case right? Hopefully I'm not fear mongering.


Edited by eltocliousus - 1/3/13 at 3:29pm
post #9807 of 10597
I wanted to add some more bass to the fostex t50rp. I have already done the simple mods such as using clay to fill baffles and cotton damping. What other mod could add bass?
post #9808 of 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

Does anyone know if the T20RP/T40RP/T50RP are discontinued? I've been told by 3 sellers now that they are and I'm near sweating here, this cannot be the case right? Hopefully I'm not fear mongering.

please god no

post #9809 of 10597
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltocliousus View Post

Does anyone know if the T20RP/T40RP/T50RP are discontinued? I've been told by 3 sellers now that they are and I'm near sweating here, this cannot be the case right? Hopefully I'm not fear mongering.

 

Still show as "available" at Amazon, fullcompass, and bhphotovideo.

post #9810 of 10597

shows discontinued at several other online retailers eek.gif

 

I might have to buy a backup pair...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!