Finally got my hands on a new pair of stock T50RP's courtesy of a fellow Headfier. Maybe I am crazy, but I really like the sound stock. Well, not quite stock. I swapped the pads out for some LCD-2, Rev 1 earpads. I might keep these as is for a while.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
The purple edition of this headphone is a hidden gem. Most people see me wearing these and assume I am some unacknowledged sheeple. While this is possible, I would attest to the argument that these...
UE6000 Review I like these headphones. I don’t love them, I just like them. They have a ton of good things going for them like the isolation (freakin’ fantastic passive isolation, maybe...
I had this earphones for 2 years and I must say, that I was really satisfied with it. With the possibility to change bass you can choose what really fits you and I must say, that the bass was...
A Little Background I currently own Beats Pro and I listen to them on a daily basis. I have previously owned Beats Studios and Beats Solos. I bought all of them from The Source in Ontario and...
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 641
Gear mentioned in this thread:
FraGGieR, how many pairs of LCD-2 pads do you have? I've been looking for someone to trade with me, Stax pads for LCD-2 pads, to hear the differnece.
Just this pair. Just got them from a fellow Headfier in Sweden. They are the Rev. 1 pads, so apparently slightly less soft (less full) than the current ones. For the T50RP's they work well. Might have better bass than my Jmoney pads due to the different shape of the ear cavity. Still think the J$ are the most comfortable, though. Hopefully this weekend I will do a full review of everything I have. Once I have a good listen, we might be able to work out a trade.
You won't be disappointed .
If you need any help building DBV#3, you can shoot me a PM!
Edited by eltocliousus - 11/28/12 at 3:49pm
Thank you, I will keep that in mind!
My t50rp's ended up taking a tumble and the hangar holder broke. I found some replacement parts, but my god are they expensive! $8 for a piece of plastic a bit larger than my thumb nail, plus $10 shipping!
Oh well, it's better than a broken headphone. :/
Oh, and by the way BMF, I was able to do your DBV#3 mod with some tweaks, and I'm really quite fond of it. I'd like to get the new part and use them for a bit longer before really analyzing them, however.
I've meant to respond to your PM regarding the cotton information. I was going to take a picture of my box and send it to BlueMonkeyFlyer to confirm if I had the good stuff, or just the "OK" stuff before responding back to you.
No worries, fraggler is hooking me up :)
The "OK" stuff can be used to good effect if you separate it into 20 or so layers.
I have completed my build of DBV #3 and compared to BMF's pair. I found that using my Organic Essentials Triple Size Cotton Balls, unrolled and made into a mat provided a chunk of cotton that is almost exactly the same as the stuff that BMF has inside his pair. The feel and look of my unrolled cotton balls is only distinguishable from BMF's cotton in that the individual strands of cotton don't run in the same direction like they do with BMF's cotton. The pilling that occurs in the cheap rite-aid cotton isn't there. Furthermore, after comparing the two pairs, the only difference that I can hear between my pair and his is that mine sound more closed--most likely due to the fact that my cup vents are sealed with silicone and his aren't. His pair feels a bit more airy, but the audio sounds exactly the same. Just figured I'd let everyone know.
As an aside, my wife helped me complete my suspension strap last night! Pardon the picture quality, I used my cell phone to take this and it's dark in my office right now. I'll take a better shot when I get home tonight.
The improvement in comfort with this thing is insane. It feels like the headphones are floating instead of digging into your skull. I adjusted the elasticity of the strap too, since the previous version was way too tight. Now I'm in heaven.
I use Beyer gel pads, they seal very well, but I feel like there's not enough isolation.. I have them attached with tape and cotton under the pads for spacing. The distance from the baffle is just a few mm, and cotton is too dense.
Looks like I'd have to use wider tape for more spacing and looser fit - currently, pads are quite tightly attached to baffle. Plus use sound foam instead of cotton, as it seems to be too densely packed to absorb sound. Plus probably a plastic spacer like HDMan once improvised would be beneficial.
We made two out of blue velour, too. It's not quite as comfortable against your hair as the pleather one, but the velour kinda sticks against your head so it doesn't slide around at all. The velour is also a bitch to work with since it sticks to itself so it's hard to get the edges lined up and keep them that way when running them through the sewing machine. In the end, we used up all the elastic we had and made 8 of them. The stitching on some is nicer than on others, but it's been a learning process. Here is the velour one:
Talking of secret sauces any takers for this recipe
Recipe: Simple - pick up Spray 77 at Home Depot, tape edges, spray and add sand. Let each application dry.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Making my wired IEM's wireless 5 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 Special Edition - mint condition and little use 1 minute ago
- › Do you take good headphones with you when you go out? 1 minute ago
- › Question on driving HD650 2 minutes ago
- › Themed Monthly Avatar Committee (TMAC) discussion thread 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › New member... 4 minutes ago
- › "I cannot tell my wife how much I spend last night... in audio" Thread 4 minutes ago
- › FS: Lots of cables! DHC Nucleotide wire (price is per cable) and 1... 5 minutes ago
- › The diary entries of a little girl in her 30s! ~ Part 2 5 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo HD On-Ear Headphone by boobs
- › Logitech UE 6000 by Trunks159
- › MEElectronics SP51-BK Sound Preference In-Ear Headphone with Sound... by Benik3
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi