Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 631

post #9451 of 10571

I'm in the same boat as you. But with continued listening, I usually get disenchanted with a particular mod because something doesn't quite sound right. It might take a few days for it to hit me. But in the meantime, I'm enjoying what i hear. :)

post #9452 of 10571

What's the state of the art when it comes to t50rp modding? BMF 8.1? I want to mod them to closed/sealed.

how would you rate a pair of self-modded t50rp like BMF 8.1 or #3 compared to the mad dog t50rp?

 

I am located in europa and it is pretty tough to find all the stuff required to mod my t50rp - does someone sell a kit including all the stuff?

post #9453 of 10571

well then, Mo ... count me amongst the gallery beerchug.gif   . right now i'm using the latest dbv#3 with all cotton stuffing and circular reflector ... best yet!
 

post #9454 of 10571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanSaurusRex View Post

What's the state of the art when it comes to t50rp modding? BMF 8.1? I want to mod them to closed/sealed.

how would you rate a pair of self-modded t50rp like BMF 8.1 or #3 compared to the mad dog t50rp?

 

I am located in europa and it is pretty tough to find all the stuff required to mod my t50rp - does someone sell a kit including all the stuff?

 

I have enough materials for several kits.  PM me for details.

post #9455 of 10571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanSaurusRex View Post

What's the state of the art when it comes to t50rp modding? BMF 8.1? I want to mod them to closed/sealed.

how would you rate a pair of self-modded t50rp like BMF 8.1 or #3 compared to the mad dog t50rp?

 

I am located in europa and it is pretty tough to find all the stuff required to mod my t50rp - does someone sell a kit including all the stuff?


latest 'released' bmf mod is dbv3 with all cotton stuffing & circular reflector. 

for this mod, you need the following materials (or equivalent):

 

acoustipack-lite, paxmate plus, silicon II sealant, rite-aid natural cotton roll, 1.5mm stiff felt, glossy magazine paper, double-sided tape, newplast, shure srh-840 earpads.   (have i forgotton anything?)

post #9456 of 10571
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarman49 View Post


latest 'released' bmf mod is dbv3 with all cotton stuffing & circular reflector. 

for this mod, you need the following materials (or equivalent):

 

acoustipack-lite, paxmate plus, silicon II sealant, rite-aid natural cotton roll, 1.5mm stiff felt, glossy magazine paper, double-sided tape, newplast, shure srh-840 earpads.   (have i forgotton anything?)

geetarman49,

 

I'm happy to hear you got good results and think DBV #3 is the "best yet." Personally, I agree and like them tuned for a bit more treble detail/extension without giving up their excellent sub-bass to midrange. 

 

You correctly listed all components needed for DBV #3. For clarification, "1.5 mm stiff felt" refers to its thickness and should be cut to 40x40 mm square. 

 

The configuration is described HERE, after Graph #55, with photos and tuning suggestions ---> "Simplified and Consolidated Pictorial for DBV #3."  

 

IMO, DBV #2 and DBV #3 (and their variations described in the same section) are superior to BMF V8.1 and all earlier mod configurations I've posted.


Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 10/28/12 at 9:56am
post #9457 of 10571

Does anyone know any common stores in the US or Florida that'd let me test out some HQ headphones? I want to see how my headphones compare since they're HQ but not extremely.

post #9458 of 10571

Thank you all for your answers!

 

Can someone compare a DBV#3 to a MadDog T50rp? 

Does someone use his T50rp as portable? Is sound leakage a problem with a modded t50rp?

 

I'm looking for a new portable headphone right now and can't decide whether to choose a UE6000, HD25, TMA-1, something similar or a modded T50rp.

Please help me decide. I listen to rock and metal and want to drive my new headphone with my ipod 5g or my galaxy s3.

post #9459 of 10571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanSaurusRex View Post

Thank you all for your answers!

 

Can someone compare a DBV#3 to a MadDog T50rp? 

Does someone use his T50rp as portable? Is sound leakage a problem with a modded t50rp?

 

I'm looking for a new portable headphone right now and can't decide whether to choose a UE6000, HD25, TMA-1, something similar or a modded T50rp.

Please help me decide. I listen to rock and metal and want to drive my new headphone with my ipod 5g or my galaxy s3.

I'd go with smaller portables if you are looking for portable.  The T50rp's are pretty big and a little heavy.  Sound leakage isn't bad, but if someone is sitting right next to you, they might still hear something.  For rock and metal, the HD25-II are very good, plus they are built super tough.  I sold mine awhile ago, but am tempted to get them back every single time I see a pair for sale.  Haven't tried the others, although I have read that the TMA-1's are a little more laid back.

post #9460 of 10571
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanSaurusRex View Post

Does someone use his T50rp as portable? Is sound leakage a problem with a modded t50rp?

I'm looking for a new portable headphone right now and can't decide whether to choose a UE6000, HD25, TMA-1, something similar or a modded T50rp.
Please help me decide. I listen to rock and metal and want to drive my new headphone with my ipod 5g or my galaxy s3.
Yes, and no, leakage is not a problem on a modded set.
But the modded set does not fold or swivel or whatever. It's also half a kilogram.
For outright sound quality they'd be great, otherwise any of the other choices are better on portability.
post #9461 of 10571

Well, time for an irreversible mod!  I am going to put a 4-pin mini XLR jack into each cup for detachable cables (which will in turn be swappable with my LCD-2's).  Hopefully I don't futz it up!  Then I am thinking a paint job.  

post #9462 of 10571

^ be sure to post pics as you go bigsmile_face.gif

post #9463 of 10571
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

^ be sure to post pics as you go bigsmile_face.gif

X2!

post #9464 of 10571

Doh!  

 

 

700

 

Spent like 5 minutes lining it up perfectly so that it matched the left cup which went well...  Only to realize after drilling that they shouldn't be the same, they should be mirror imaged...  

 

We will call it a bass port for now until I use some epoxy putty to fill it in.

post #9465 of 10571

Oh, man. I feel your pain! 

 

Earlier in this thread, someone used bondo to seal up the hole left by the original cable jack. Feel like learning some autobody repair? :)

 

(Looks like nice work otherwise!)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!