Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 626

post #9376 of 10873

I am thinking that I might be wanting more bass than these can provide.  My test track is the Ultimate Woofer Test by Techmaster PEB.  Not audiophile listening for sure, but I like to test bass extension and articulation with it.  My HD650's have a lovely rumble on that song and can hit all the frequencies, but I find the T50rp's to not have enough oomph, especially in the deepest bass regions.  For 95% of music, not noticeable and these are fantastic sounding.  But it would be awesome if they could hit just a little harder.

 

My current setup is with Jmoney Beyerpad, plasticine on baffles, stiff felt with holes punched into it on the back of the driver, acoustic foam and felt in cup, unrolled cotton balls in cup.  Visible baffle port is taped over, nothing done to the cup bass vent.  Moving towards the DBV 3 from BMF, although I don't think I will be doing anything more to enhance the treble as it is already a tiny bit much for my preferences.  I am going to keep experimenting to get more bass.  Never thought I was a basshead, but I guess I am.  I will be getting some LCD-2's in a week so will finally be able to really A/B the T50rp's against them.

post #9377 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

I checked out the Objective2 amplifier and it seems pretty sweet and I might go with that one, but I do most of my listening from a laptop on the go, is there anything semiportable that could power them and be powered from my laptop through over USB and I wouldn't want to spend more than $150 on it. 
Do you own the said E7 already?
If yes, that should suffice even if it may not bring out the full potential--something we don't really need on the go.
Otherwise the O2 is transportable.
post #9378 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

I checked out the Objective2 amplifier and it seems pretty sweet and I might go with that one, but I do most of my listening from a laptop on the go, is there anything semiportable that could power them and be powered from my laptop through over USB and I wouldn't want to spend more than $150 on it. 

The O2 is typically configured with rechargeable 9v batteries. I think they last between 6-8 hours on a charge. They can't be powered by USB though. And if you're already lugging a laptop, the 02 doesn't add much weight. What will you be using as your DAC?
post #9379 of 10873

I don't have a DAC or AMP as I am just getting into the headphones and never really needed one to drive my IEMs so I am open to pretty much anything.  Didn't know the O2 could run off of batteries, so that makes it more of a possibility, but would I be better off getting the Fiio E17?  I do most of my listening in the library or at my desk so while weight and size isn't a huge issue I obviously don't want to be sitting in a little study carrel with a massive amp.


Edited by micrors4 - 10/17/12 at 5:40pm
post #9380 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

I don't have a DAC or AMP as I am just getting into the headphones and never really needed one to drive my IEMs so I am open to pretty much anything.  Didn't know the O2 could run off of batteries, so that makes it more of a possibility, but would I be better off getting the Fiio E17?  I do most of my listening in the library or at my desk so while weight and size isn't a huge issue I obviously don't want to be sitting in a little study carrel with a massive amp.
Sure, the E17 will work...
I don't have enough experience with the O2/ODAC to tell you which is better but the E17 has a easier form factor for portability and even with USB charging off it can operate as a DAC without using much power at all from the battery.

Does it 'bring out the T50RP's full potential'? I'd say nay but eh... what's 'best'/'full potential' anyway.
Many of the users in this thread use O2 though for semi-portable/transportable amp.
post #9381 of 10873

Would the DAC have a noticeable impact on the sound quality as I don't have much experience with them because I usually just drive my IEMs straight out of my Ipod Classic.

post #9382 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

I don't have a DAC or AMP as I am just getting into the headphones and never really needed one to drive my IEMs so I am open to pretty much anything.  Didn't know the O2 could run off of batteries, so that makes it more of a possibility, but would I be better off getting the Fiio E17?  I do most of my listening in the library or at my desk so while weight and size isn't a huge issue I obviously don't want to be sitting in a little study carrel with a massive amp.

The O2 only has a line-in so, you would have the send the signal through a dac then into the line-in, otherwise you have to send it from your already amplified headphone jack.

post #9383 of 10873

Would the DAC have a noticeable impact versus just sending the line out of my ipod to a AMP?

post #9384 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

Would the DAC have a noticeable impact versus just sending the line out of my ipod to a AMP?

I was assuming it was being used for a laptop for some reason. Out of an ipod, the line-out will work fine as the internal dac on the ipod would be fine.

post #9385 of 10873
I use both a laptop and an ipod depending on where I am which was why I was looking at potentially getting a fiio e7.
post #9386 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

Would the DAC have a noticeable impact on the sound quality as I don't have much experience with them because I usually just drive my IEMs straight out of my Ipod Classic.
Not sure how much the DAC itself does but at least in my case the amp extends the highs and lows among other benefits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

Would the DAC have a noticeable impact versus just sending the line out of my ipod to a AMP?
The DAC will only be used when plugged to your PC. What you could try for your iPod is to get a LOD interface, which bypasses the iPod's amp but not its own DAC.
If anyone sees misinformation in my post, do correct.


On another note regarding leakage, electrical tape alone will not fully block sound from coming out via the vents, but helps. If you stack layers of something over it, that may help.
post #9387 of 10873

I don't mind if they leak a little, but I usually do most of my listening in a quiet library so I just don't want them to be as bad as fully open-back headphone, many others have there ibuds blaring so if it doesn't leak more then those I will be fine.

post #9388 of 10873
They won't; at least in my case they do not. And I did not layer my electrical tape.
post #9389 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

I don't mind if they leak a little, but I usually do most of my listening in a quiet library so I just don't want them to be as bad as fully open-back headphone, many others have there ibuds blaring so if it doesn't leak more then those I will be fine.

Mine don't leak much at all. I have acoustic foam blocking the vents from the inside and no electrical tape on the outside. If I play music at my normal listening volume and place the ear pads on my leg to create a seal, I can't hear my music.

post #9390 of 10873
Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4 View Post

I use both a laptop and an ipod depending on where I am which was why I was looking at potentially getting a fiio e7.

 

The Fiio E17 seems like an ideal device for you.  It is compact, can amp your iPod through a LOD, can get you better sound out of your laptop via the DAC, is in your price range, and is well regarded in that range.  Again, I have not used one, but after a lot of researching, if I went to a portable rig, it is at the top of my short list.  Will it be powerful like an O2 (amp only, quite powerful, and is still quite compact)?  No.  Will you get the max out of your T50rp's?  Maybe?  I don't know if we know what the max is out of these headphones.  This is a hobby of diminishing returns.  I think it should sound quite good, and this would be a great place to start your journey into Headfi.


Edited by FraGGleR - 10/18/12 at 12:22pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!