Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 624

post #9346 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2908 View Post

I've had my modded t50rp with custom cut the aluminium cup for more than a year now, but just had it covered in leather, dampened with dynamat extreme and added lcd-2 pads recently. It's quite pleasing to look at

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8094021374_346be775f6_m.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8093999526_14b640dcc2_m.jpg

with the original fostex

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8094001446_43dd7d081c_m.jpg

You can see on the side there are vents for bass. There are 4 vents per cup because I want to test with different pads also

All I can say is ... sexy. How much for everything did it take to make those beasts.

post #9347 of 10601
Nice looking mods there frank! But frankly the pictures aren't doing them justice since they're kind of small.
post #9348 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2908 View Post

I've had my modded t50rp with custom cut the aluminium cup for more than a year now, but just had it covered in leather, dampened with dynamat extreme and added lcd-2 pads recently. It's quite pleasing to look at

 

Wonderful! But the pictures are so small, hard to see any details. And aren't them too heavy now, with the alu cups? How much did all the mods cost?

post #9349 of 10601

My self modded T50RP is a real head scratcher. I've been listening to Steely Dan - Gaucho 24/96 DVD-A this morning through an Asgard. They run right along side the pack just fine (my HE-400 and D5K). Quite amazing and unbelievable to say the least for $100 total. I can literally wear these for hours with no fatigue.


Edited by Grado77 - 10/16/12 at 12:32pm
post #9350 of 10601

Btw, are there any mods to specifically increase the soundstage? 

post #9351 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

Is this really the first time someone saw this?  It was the first place I checked (well second, I check Amazon first for everything).  I just didn't get it because BMF has said the new stuff wasn't as good as the old stuff, plus the shipping is as much as the cotton.  Anyways, thanks for posting it like I should have when I found it.  Now people can get it and see if it works better than something like unrolled cotton balls for them.

 

O.K., here's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  wink_face.gif  I also looked on Amazon months ago when the local Rite Aid stores stopped selling Natural Absorbent Cotton rolls.  Amazon didn't have it so I Googled Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton. I saw several links to Rite Aid, went there, used the search window and they didn't have it, either. I looked several times over the next few months and never saw a link to riteaidonlinestore.com. I concluded they discontinued the product. I tried to find substitutes until ktan pointed out he found it. Now, when I do a Google search guess what pops up First?

 

I bought several boxes of the good stuff  - Thanks ktan! - Now I've got different brands of rolled cotton for.... absorbing stuff.

post #9352 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

 

O.K., here's my story, and I'm sticking to it.  wink_face.gif  I also looked on Amazon months ago when the local Rite Aid stores stopped selling Natural Absorbent Cotton rolls.  Amazon didn't have it so I Googled Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton. I saw several links to Rite Aid, went there, used the search window and they didn't have it, either. I looked several times over the next few months and never saw a link to riteaidonlinestore.com. I concluded they discontinued the product. I tried to find substitutes until ktan pointed out he found it. Now, when I do a Google search guess what pops up First?

 

I bought several boxes of the good stuff  - Thanks ktan! - Now I've got different brands of rolled cotton for.... absorbing stuff.

 

Yeah, there corporate website doesn't show anything, only the online shopping portal.  I hope I didn't offend anyone with the comment earlier.  I just figured it wasn't the right stuff since no one was talking about it.  So would you say the stuff they are selling is still the best cotton in your mind?  I have no real issue with my unrolled cotton balls, but they are a hassle to work with and get even.

post #9353 of 10601

just a note.........I was having a slight issue with the right ear losing signal.

 

I dipped the mini jack tip in Deoxit Gold and did not wipe off the excess (there was a tiny drop left on the end), re-inserted the plug. No more problem.

post #9354 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

Yeah, there corporate website doesn't show anything, only the online shopping portal.  I hope I didn't offend anyone with the comment earlier.  I just figured it wasn't the right stuff since no one was talking about it.  So would you say the stuff they are selling is still the best cotton in your mind?  I have no real issue with my unrolled cotton balls, but they are a hassle to work with and get even.

IME/IMO Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton is superior to every other source of cotton whether balls, rolls, etc. and works best for me. 

 

International modders who want it but can't get it can PM me.  Actual cost plus USPS International First Class Mail shipping. 

 

P.S.: No offense, here.  

post #9355 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by FraGGleR View Post

 

Is this really the first time someone saw this?  It was the first place I checked (well second, I check Amazon first for everything).  I just didn't get it because BMF has said the new stuff wasn't as good as the old stuff, plus the shipping is as much as the cotton.  Anyways, thanks for posting it like I should have when I found it.  Now people can get it and see if it works better than something like unrolled cotton balls for them.

 

Perhaps if the site was posted earlier I wouldn't have to scour my local Rite Aids for the cotton last night in the middle of a rainstorm.

 

Anyway, just trying to help, take it as you will.

 

Thanks BMF for backing me up.

 

EDIT: No hostility here either.


Edited by ktan3142 - 10/16/12 at 3:11pm
post #9356 of 10601

Definitely appreciate the efforts!  In fact, I just ordered two packs :)  

post #9357 of 10601

Thanks, ktan3142. Finally, a ready supply of the stuff! 

post #9358 of 10601

ok guys, i'll repost the picture when I get back from work.

One question: according to Smeggy, the Beyer velour pads produce the best sound , then the lcd-2 pads. My personal experience is different though, the beyer (dt880/990) pads produce too much trebble and lack too much bass, even all 4 vents are opened. So does it mean i should use dt770 pads instead?

The lcd-2 pads on the other hand are nice though.

post #9359 of 10601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican2 View Post

Just would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum and various sub-forums thereof.  I completed my Fostex T50RP mods at the weekend and am stunned by the clarity of these modified cans.  I have previously owned LCD-2 R2's and I enjoy these fostex cans more than I every did the LCD's.  Playing many familiar tracks is revealing layers I did not hear with the LCD's.  The bass is not as textured, but still tight and fast and HIGHLY enjoyable. Once I tweaked the setup of these I ended up listening to them for over 4 hours.....Thank you!!!!
 

 

Congrats! Mind sharing your mod config?

post #9360 of 10601

I'm sorry for asking again, but maybe my question was missed among other posts. Are there any mods that are tailored for increasing the soundstage and 3d imaging?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!