Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 623

post #9331 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Ghost View Post

Anyone can tell me if these modded HPs can sound good without an amp? Or are they power hungry? 

 

And second question, how's the soundstage and 3D imaging on these, with the best mods out there? Can these also be used for games and movies, with Dolby Headphone (virtual surround)? How do they compare to AKG K(Q)701 or Denon 5k\7k? Those cans are considered to be very good for this, that's why i'm asking.

You could use them with movies and games, but if you want very precise positioning, then it is better to get a dedicated gaming or movie headphone. The soundstage is ok for a closed can, but does not match the k/Q701 or even the Denons

post #9332 of 10678

Everyone knows pad stacking from some genius that was once in this thread, but I stack my pads in this order opposite of his, the shure srh 840's go  on the hp's themselves and the t50rp stock pads go above the shures, cotton under the shure srh840 pads and magic, just try it.

post #9333 of 10678

Someone in another thread asked about T50RP replacement parts - specifically the plastic headband hanger holders:

 

fullcompass.com sells replacement parts for T50RP. Although not currently showing any in stock, they sell the plastic hanger holder for $5.00 for the front piece and $5.00 for the rear piece. You don't have to buy both; just the piece you need. Call them to check on availability. I've bought several sets of T50RPs and replacement parts from them. They are honest and fast.

post #9334 of 10678
I just got and used my shure pads for a few hours now. I think I'm crazy, insane, drunk and stupid right now, but dear god I think I'm hearing a lot of things I missed before while I was using the stock pads, Sony SA5000 pads, beyer gel pads and angled gel pads (one by one, in order of listing, of course), all with different state of mods internally in between changing them. As written, I've tried a lot of pad changes, and I recognise how much a pad can change the sound, but this seems too drastic. Too drastic to be true.

Oh well, the main thing is that I really love this.
post #9335 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

What are the differences between the mad dogs and the paradoxes?
post #9336 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
 
What are the differences between the mad dogs and the paradoxes?

 

Actually, the Paradox (singular) is a hermetically sealed Fostex headphone that is devised of various modifications by LFF (A Member of the Trade on This forum).  However, if you are interested in buying some Paradoxes, as you like to call them, I'm sure LFF would be more than happy to sell you two pair or more.  biggrin.gif

 

The Mad Dogs are another variation of the Fostex modified headphone as offered by Dan, who is also present on this forum and a Member of the Trade.  The Mad Dogs offer you the Dog Padz ear pads for the Mad Dogs headphones.  These are custom made for the Mad Dogs and are constructed of real leather.  The previous ear pad offerings on the Mad Dogs were the Shure 840 pads.

 

Additionally, I believe that LFF will work with quite an assortment of ear pads with the buyer who may consider something a bit further up the food chain.  However,  you should consult with LFF a bit more on what he can specifically offer. 

 

I have heard both, and I like both offerings.  Each has a nice amount of bass, well rounded mids and pleasant highs.  Sure, there are other variations, but the individual buyer would have to see how each headphone sounds to them and how pleased they might be with the headphone from either of these sellers.

post #9337 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wje View Post

 

Actually, the Paradox (singular) is a hermetically sealed Fostex headphone that is devised of various modifications by LFF (A Member of the Trade on This forum).  However, if you are interested in buying some Paradoxes, as you like to call them, I'm sure LFF would be more than happy to sell you two pair or more.  biggrin.gif

 

The Mad Dogs are another variation of the Fostex modified headphone as offered by Dan, who is also present on this forum and a Member of the Trade.  The Mad Dogs offer you the Dog Padz ear pads for the Mad Dogs headphones.  These are custom made for the Mad Dogs and are constructed of real leather.  The previous ear pad offerings on the Mad Dogs were the Shure 840 pads.

 

Additionally, I believe that LFF will work with quite an assortment of ear pads with the buyer who may consider something a bit further up the food chain.  However,  you should consult with LFF a bit more on what he can specifically offer. 

 

I have heard both, and I like both offerings.  Each has a nice amount of bass, well rounded mids and pleasant highs.  Sure, there are other variations, but the individual buyer would have to see how each headphone sounds to them and how pleased they might be with the headphone from either of these sellers.

What are the differences in sound?

post #9338 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

What are the differences in sound?


Here are some impressions of the Paradox.

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614134/is-it-true-that-modded-t50rps-specifically-lffs-paradox-mod-is-comparable-to-high-end-headphones-such-as-the-lcd2

 

and here is the ones for the Mad Dogs

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review


Edited by LFF - 10/12/12 at 3:39pm
post #9339 of 10678
post #9340 of 10678

Hey guys, I hope this will help the community a little:

 

The "Unobtainium" Rite Aid Natural Absorbent Cotton that BlueMonkeyFlyer swears by is found!!! Below is the link:

 

http://www.riteaidonlinestore.com/Rite-Aid-Absorbent-Cotton-Sterile/dp/B00467XRYO?field_availability=-1&field_browse=3003305011&field_keywords=cotton&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&id=Rite+Aid+Absorbent+Cotton+Sterile&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolor_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchKeywords=cotton&searchNodeID=3003305011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

post #9341 of 10678

Just would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this forum and various sub-forums thereof.  I completed my Fostex T50RP mods at the weekend and am stunned by the clarity of these modified cans.  I have previously owned LCD-2 R2's and I enjoy these fostex cans more than I every did the LCD's.  Playing many familiar tracks is revealing layers I did not hear with the LCD's.  The bass is not as textured, but still tight and fast and HIGHLY enjoyable. Once I tweaked the setup of these I ended up listening to them for over 4 hours.....Thank you!!!!
 

post #9342 of 10678

 

Is this really the first time someone saw this?  It was the first place I checked (well second, I check Amazon first for everything).  I just didn't get it because BMF has said the new stuff wasn't as good as the old stuff, plus the shipping is as much as the cotton.  Anyways, thanks for posting it like I should have when I found it.  Now people can get it and see if it works better than something like unrolled cotton balls for them.

post #9343 of 10678

I've had my modded t50rp with custom cut the aluminium cup for more than a year now, but just had it covered in leather, dampened with dynamat extreme and added lcd-2 pads recently. It's quite pleasing to look at

 

 

 

with the original fostex

 

 

You can see on the side there are vents for bass. There are 4 vents per cup because I want to test with different pads also


Edited by frank2908 - 10/16/12 at 8:44am
post #9344 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank2908 View Post

I've had my modded t50rp with custom cut the aluminium cup for more than a year now, but just had it covered in leather, dampened with dynamat extreme and added lcd-2 pads recently. It's quite pleasing to look at

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8473/8094021374_346be775f6_m.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8093999526_14b640dcc2_m.jpg

with the original fostex

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8094001446_43dd7d081c_m.jpg

You can see on the side there are vents for bass. There are 4 vents per cup because I want to test with different pads also

All I can say is ... sexy. How much for everything did it take to make those beasts.

post #9345 of 10678
Nice looking mods there frank! But frankly the pictures aren't doing them justice since they're kind of small.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!