Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 597

post #8941 of 10599

If you are referring to the imbalance issue the dual out from each cable does seem to eliminate the issue. My modded t50 are very similar to wje's...biggrin.gif

 

 

 

700

 

700

post #8942 of 10599

I've been long absent from this thread, but I agree with what has been said. Recabling is something that might not change the sound of this headphone, but its more of a convienence issue. At least it was for me. I was never a fan of the stock cable due to some dropouts and scratchiness. Plus even though it sounds contrary to logic, I just never liked the single entry cable (maybe because I am so used to having dual entry on every other headphone I have ever owned).

 

I did spend 10 hours and $30 on my cable, but now it is by far my favorite cable out of any of the recables I did. The thin, nylon jacketed silicon wire I used is light, flexible, and has no microphonics. Plus I love the way it came out looking. Recabling is entirely the preference of the person doing the listening and in my opinion, if you are capable of doing it, it is worth it.

post #8943 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

I've been long absent from this thread, but I agree with what has been said. Recabling is something that might not change the sound of this headphone, but its more of a convienence issue. At least it was for me. I was never a fan of the stock cable due to some dropouts and scratchiness. Plus even though it sounds contrary to logic, I just never liked the single entry cable (maybe because I am so used to having dual entry on every other headphone I have ever owned).

 

I did spend 10 hours and $30 on my cable, but now it is by far my favorite cable out of any of the recables I did. The thin, nylon jacketed silicon wire I used is light, flexible, and has no microphonics. Plus I love the way it came out looking. Recabling is entirely the preference of the person doing the listening and in my opinion, if you are capable of doing it, it is worth it.

Unless you post a pic...it never happened. wink.gif

post #8944 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTCG View Post

If you are referring to the imbalance issue the dual out from each cable does seem to eliminate the issue. My modded t50 are very similar to wje's...biggrin.gif

 

 

They probably sound similar, too. biggrin.gif  The Mogami Neglex Quad looks so beautiful with the Neutrik connectors on it.  beerchug.gif

post #8945 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkz View Post

...

I did spend 10 hours and $30 on my cable, but now it is by far my favorite cable out of any of the recables I did. The thin, nylon jacketed silicon wire I used is light, flexible, and has no microphonics. Plus I love the way it came out looking. Recabling is entirely the preference of the person doing the listening and in my opinion, if you are capable of doing it, it is worth it.


would you mind sharing specifics about your recabling? (cable type/gauge, connectors used, etc.)

post #8946 of 10599

I'll have to dig through some stuff to remember. I did it November of last year I think. There are actually pictures buried somewhere in the 600 or so pages of this thread. 

 

I used the wire below, covered in Paracord jacket. I would need to look into the specific size of cord. My first try was too small and even the second one took a lot of doing to get it threaded through (the silicon is nice and sticky).

 

http://www.cajunlasers.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=36

 

The wires were connected to a standard Neutrik 1/4" stereo plug. After that it was just a matter of getting my girlfriend to do a nice four wire braid for me. I tried and tried but could never get the braid right. She did it in about 5 minutes.

 

Like I said, it cost about $30 and bunch of time, but I am very happy with how my cable came out.

post #8947 of 10599

Thnx.
 

post #8948 of 10599

For those of you who think recabling a pair of Fostex T50RPs is overkill, I wonder what your feelings are for one who will be doing a Mogami recable job on a pair of Sennheiser HD-428s?  Heck, the cable and connector cost nearly as much as the refurbished headphones themselves.  confused.gif

 

 

However, it will be well worth the investment of time and cable supplies.  I have my Sennheisers modifed at the moment to a point where they're giving me more bass than the Fostex T50RPs and a better "over all" sound signature than the HD-580, 600, range of Sennheisers.  In the end, it's all well worth it. 

post #8949 of 10599

My point isn't that it's overkill.  It's a great final touch if that's something you want aesthetically or ergonomically and that last bit of SQ, I'm all for maximizing these puppies.  I'd love to see a paladium Edition.  My point is for newcomers who come here to the thread and think that the cable is part of the modifications being discussed here, and wind up jumping at that one first because it's so much more tangible.  Recabling a stock T50rp is ridiculous. 

 

The Storm Trooper T50rp's look awesome, but you have to admit you are skilled at doing this kind of work, and you already said it was for the aesthetics.  And I'm not saying they do, but they could easily sound horrible despite all the time spent and awesome aesthetics. 

 

Just trying to remind newcomers about what is really important with these phones for SQ. A well damped T50rp out of an ipod will sound vastly superior to a poorly damped T50rp wtih uber cable, uber dac and uber amp. 


Edited by rhythmdevils - 7/25/12 at 2:15pm
post #8950 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluker View Post

Wouldn't be hard.

The cable is only $10 or so.


yup and prolly the shipping + taxes would total to approximately 50usd here!


Edited by Dyaems - 7/25/12 at 5:24pm
post #8951 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post


yup and prolly the shipping + taxes would total to approximately 50usd here!


Wow. If you do not mind me asking, where do you live?

I've yet to order my V-moda's yet but if it's that expensive, maybe I can include yours in my order and then ship it to you (but takes more time)...

 

 

P.S. not the right forum to do ask this but, is there any reason to braiding cables? Aren't you just increasing the length of the cables, resulting in (very minor) increased resistance?

post #8952 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbee View Post


Wow. If you do not mind me asking, where do you live?

I've yet to order my V-moda's yet but if it's that expensive, maybe I can include yours in my order and then ship it to you (but takes more time)...

 

 

P.S. not the right forum to do ask this but, is there any reason to braiding cables? Aren't you just increasing the length of the cables, resulting in (very minor) increased resistance?

 

 

i live in the philippines. the reason getting about that high with taxes is that the people at our customs here are like..

 

700

 

...they just put random codes with prices in the "receipt" without explaining it to the customers clearly even i you ask them nicely. plus you need to wait at least 4 hours to get any package and people are rude! however, i got away with my fa003 pads with only 1usd tax for some reason last time, although i have to wait for 6 hours to get those pads. last time i ordered some ibasso cables, like 1 short cable and 1 long cable, for a friend and i need to pay 40usd for it!

 

sure you can do that, I appreciate it. ill just pay whatever the cost needed for shipping to pay through paypal :) I just hope it drops off my place, not that customs place which usually is possible when the package is placed something in an envelope-type of material.

post #8953 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyaems View Post

 

 

i live in the philippines. the reason getting about that high with taxes is that the people at our customs here are like..

 

700

 

...they just put random codes with prices in the "receipt" without explaining it to the customers clearly even i you ask them nicely. plus you need to wait at least 4 hours to get any package and people are rude! however, i got away with my fa003 pads with only 1usd tax for some reason last time, although i have to wait for 6 hours to get those pads. last time i ordered some ibasso cables, like 1 short cable and 1 long cable, for a friend and i need to pay 40usd for it!

 

sure you can do that, I appreciate it. ill just pay whatever the cost needed for shipping to pay through paypal :) I just hope it drops off my place, not that customs place which usually is possible when the package is placed something in an envelope-type of material.

Haha, aah customs... hate it.

Well, I don't mind trying. PM me the color you want, I'll place my order tonight. Not sure how long it will take, nor if the package will go through customs without problems (I gotta see how the cables are packed). If all means to sending it to you falls through I'll just keep the cables, I can find use for them, so no worries there.

 

There are lots of philipino (filipino?) customers where I work that buy stuff and send it to relatives in the Philipines... If I get to meet another, I'll ask them if there's ways to go around the customs lol

 

 

On a side note, I've made a few "universal headband pads" lately... it's not potentially as comfortable as a suspension headband but it works on just about any headphone. Sure makes my brother's Q701 more comfortable. And my DIY headphone. I'll post minor details later.


Edited by kalbee - 7/25/12 at 6:20pm
post #8954 of 10599

will pm you abit later, still working lol

just try packing it in a paper-ish material so that they can just "feel" whats inside unlike a box where they actually need it for inspection. i think thats one way to avoid those customs people here :P

 

back to topic, I tried listening toa  deadmau5 marathon last night with my t50rp and i feel dizzy... i wonder whats the cause of it... too much bass? too heavy (this is my guess)? anything else?

post #8955 of 10599

So here the rather ugly almost universal headband pad I made...

It's definitely more work than LFF's suspension headband or any glue-on padding previously discussed, not as nice looking (could be if you put more work into it than me!), but fits on many headphones. Works on all headphones I own in any case.

 

It all starts with this:

700

Note that the red and black measurement is from end to end (of the red and black line respectively), not from center.

You will need one sheet of this, plus one sheet of each half separated by the red line. I used thick pleather as it was what I had extra, and I also find it very comfortable.

Next, cut a full sheet of the previous shape of foam. I used a sheet of 6~7mm open cell foam.

 

Step 1: Sow the top and bottom together on the outer edge; the flat sides should not be stitched together. It should look like this (minus the foam).

700

 

Step 2: Stitch the foam onto the bottom piece, on the inside. Leaving an edge of ~1cm around the edges is fine, all that is required is the contour.

700

If desired, a band on the inside can also be stitched to give more of a two-point support feel.

 

At this point it's already essentially done. It may not hold very well to every headphone though, so additional steps may be taken to secure it.

Whatever you call these clips, but I used two of these, and two strips of pleather. Forgive my awful sowing skills here. The results are as shown.

700

700

Different clip on designs can be used to make things look nicer. In the pictures are prototype 1 and 2.

 

 

Just to give an idea of how it fits on other headphones... the Q701, which was what drove me to make one. The grooves under the headband just kills me, I don't know how people feel comfortable under those.

700

The clips are spaced so that you can still see UINCY JONES. Sorry, Q.

The sides are also cut out to not obstruct the L/R buttons.

 

Here's a vintage headphone, The Headphone People Headgear 2001. Little to no padding under the original  pad...

700

 

Fits on the PortaPro too! As you can expect, the DIY band is much wider than the stainless steel band, but it still holds quite well. Solid when worn as well.

700

 

And finally, Fostex T50RP. The edges are a on the small side. Adds padding to the rubber basically.

700

 

 

So it doesn't look all that nice. Prototype 1 (the one that is completed) pleats on the interior, but you don't feel it on the head.

The idea is something that will fit just about any headphone, easily removable, and not too terribly hard to make.

Probably goes better in the DIY section but eh... hope some of ya will find use for it lol. I certainly did :P

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!