Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 537

post #8041 of 10565

BMF's recent post is just chock-a-block loaded with good information. One thing that might get overlooked in this flood of audio goodness is information on how to setup a basic frequency-response testing kit.

 

If you've ever questioned whether one of your mods actually sounded better than another (or that one of your mods sounded better last night than it does this morning), a test kit can help confirm or reject your listening impressions. And these are the docs you need to read read:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

<...snip>
 

3. Room Equalization Wizard Setup Summary:

 

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ZWXtWdNv9UZHhnTkNVUEtYaW8

 

4. Phantom Power Supply  & Panasonic WM-61A Mic Slide Show:

 

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ZWXtWdNv9UQVl3b1NORTZkY00

 

<...snip>

 

For about $30 Canadian, including shipping, you can get the electronics components you need for the mics and phantom power box. The software, Room Equalization Wizard, is free and written in Java, so it works on a number of OS platforms. You'll need a soldering iron. If you've never soldered before, this isn't a bad first project.

 

This setup won't match the one that pros like Tyll uses, but it has saved me hours of tail-chasing and wheel-reinventing when it comes to T50 mods. 

post #8042 of 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmacmo View Post

BMF's recent post is just chock-a-block loaded with good information. One thing that might get overlooked in this flood of audio goodness is information on how to setup a basic frequency-response testing kit.

 

If you've ever questioned whether one of your mods actually sounded better than another (or that one of your mods sounded better last night than it does this morning), a test kit can help confirm or reject your listening impressions. And these are the docs you need to read read:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

<...snip>
 

3. Room Equalization Wizard Setup Summary:

 

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ZWXtWdNv9UZHhnTkNVUEtYaW8

 

4. Phantom Power Supply  & Panasonic WM-61A Mic Slide Show:

 

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5ZWXtWdNv9UQVl3b1NORTZkY00

 

<...snip>

 

For about $30 Canadian, including shipping, you can get the electronics components you need for the mics and phantom power box. The software, Room Equalization Wizard, is free and written in Java, so it works on a number of OS platforms. You'll need a soldering iron. If you've never soldered before, this isn't a bad first project.

 

This setup won't match the one that pros like Tyll uses, but it has saved me hours of tail-chasing and wheel-reinventing when it comes to T50 mods. 

 

Interesting. Wouldn't it be more prudent to update the wiki article with this kinds of posts? And that video of how basic modding looks like. (So sorry I forgot your forum name :P). Either way, still bookmarking that.

post #8043 of 10565

I just updated the Wiki with BMF 8.1. I couldn't include the general Youtube vid cause I'm at work.

post #8044 of 10565

Hmm I can add it then. Which "section" should it go under?

post #8045 of 10565

I created an illustrated guide to adding a leather suspension headband to the T50RP. The mod is reversible and requires an old leather belt, an iron-on knee patch and the ability to iron.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109082108141353641215/LeatherSuspensionHeadbandModForFostexT50RP

 

Here's what it looks like. It's super comfortable to boot.

Leather suspension headband mod


Edited by micmacmo - 5/3/12 at 12:34pm
post #8046 of 10565

Added eltocliousus' video (under General Article section) and micmacmo's leather suspension (oops?) headband mod to the wiki. 


Edited by jgray91 - 5/3/12 at 3:08pm
post #8047 of 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmacmo View Post

I created an illustrated guide to adding a leather suspension headband to the T50RP. The mod is reversible and requires an old leather belt, an iron-on knee patch and the ability to iron.

https://picasaweb.google.com/109082108141353641215/LeatherSuspensionHeadbandModForFostexT50RP

 

Here's what it looks like. It's super comfortable to boot.

Leather suspension headband mod

Awesome and neat job!!

 

However...that is NOT a suspension band.

post #8048 of 10565

I just got a pair of HM5 pads in the mail from Brainwavz.  Unfortunately, they are significantly different pads from the pair of HM5/003 pads I got used in the forums.  They arne't nearly as firm or thick, so the ear is closer to the driver.  Brainwavz mails them from Singapore in an envelope, so spending a week and a half squished flat is the likely culprit.  i've emailed them about it, but haven't gotten a reply yet. 

 

Just something to be aware of.  Hopefully they'll take my email into consideration and start shipping them in boxes. 

post #8049 of 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

I just got a pair of HM5 pads in the mail from Brainwavz.  Unfortunately, they are significantly different pads from the pair of HM5/003 pads I got used in the forums.  They arne't nearly as firm or thick, so the ear is closer to the driver.  Brainwavz mails them from Singapore in an envelope, so spending a week and a half squished flat is the likely culprit.  i've emailed them about it, but haven't gotten a reply yet. 

 

Just something to be aware of.  Hopefully they'll take my email into consideration and start shipping them in boxes. 

I had the same issue, but in my case it's still an improvement over the last pair which were both different heights

post #8050 of 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post

I just got a pair of HM5 pads in the mail from Brainwavz.  Unfortunately, they are significantly different pads from the pair of HM5/003 pads I got used in the forums.  They arne't nearly as firm or thick, so the ear is closer to the driver.  Brainwavz mails them from Singapore in an envelope, so spending a week and a half squished flat is the likely culprit.  i've emailed them about it, but haven't gotten a reply yet. 

 

Just something to be aware of.  Hopefully they'll take my email into consideration and start shipping them in boxes. 

 

Hmm. You're right. I just checked mine as well. The replacement ones are softer and squishier. They aren't quite as thick either, though very close. I noticed that the pads that came with the HM5 use a different material than the rest of the pads on the inner "donut", where as the replacement pads have the same material all over. 

 

Mine were also flattened from shipping, but I've had mine for over a week now. They still don't match the original pads, so I don't think the cramped shipping is the primary issue. 

 

Maybe they're using these as the regular pads on the HM5 now? They might sound better with the HM5. I always thought the stock pads were bit too thick and hard.

 

Either way, I don't think this will be much of an issue. They're probably still an improvement over the 840 pads, and they're close enough to the non-replacement pads that they should only require minor tweaking to sound the same.

 

I've noticed with my Paradox, the pads become much softer and squishier once they've been worn for a while (I'm guessing from body heat and clamping force). This would help seal better and bring the drivers closer to the ears. For me, this actually sounds better. They're a bit too stiff and thick before they "warm up", and they sound noticeably better after being on my head for 15-30 minutes. I would not be surprised if these replacement pads sound more like the old pads after they've "warmed up" right off the bat. They might actually be an improvement. Not sure...I still have yet to experiment with them (kind of hard to motivate myself to do mods on my other T50RP when I have the Paradox...).

post #8051 of 10565

Has anybody else felt like one of the driver sounds louder than the other? I just finished adding clay around the driver and around the edge of the cups, same amount on both sides and I feel the left side isn't as loud as the right side. Might be placebo, I'll give them a listen again tomorrow and see if it's just my ears.

post #8052 of 10565
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

 

Hmm. You're right. I just checked mine as well. The replacement ones are softer and squishier. They aren't quite as thick either, though very close. I noticed that the pads that came with the HM5 use a different material than the rest of the pads on the inner "donut", where as the replacement pads have the same material all over. 

 

Mine were also flattened from shipping, but I've had mine for over a week now. They still don't match the original pads, so I don't think the cramped shipping is the primary issue. 

 

Well squishing them long enough would permanently flatten them out.  But you're right, they are different pads, the inside has a different material on the old style.  It will depend on your daming scheme whether they are too bassy or not, but the thicker ones will have bigger soundstage regardless...  :(

post #8053 of 10565

Where are you guys ordering the HM5 pads from? I looked on the MP4Nation.net site and could not find them. Could someone post a link please, it would be greatly appreciated.

post #8054 of 10565
post #8055 of 10565

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarCCX View Post

Has anybody else felt like one of the driver sounds louder than the other? I just finished adding clay around the driver and around the edge of the cups, same amount on both sides and I feel the left side isn't as loud as the right side. Might be placebo, I'll give them a listen again tomorrow and see if it's just my ears.

Turns out one of the bass vents had 1mm-2mm more on one side. Fixed it before my OCD made me tear them appart lol.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!