Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 391

post #5851 of 10878

For your BMF mod, would adhesive felt work on the back cup instead of paxmate, or does the difference with paxmate make much more of a change?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

steelle

 

search the forum for my post with pictures on how to remove the stock white driver dampener in one piece. You can save it and glue it back on later, if you want to go back to stock.  Basically, use many small dabs of acetone to loosen the adhesive and use a sharp x-acto chisel blade to separate the dampener from the grid. 

 

good luck
 



 



 

post #5852 of 10878

Quote:

Originally Posted by soze View Post

For your BMF mod, would adhesive felt work on the back cup instead of paxmate, or does the difference with paxmate make much more of a change?

 

Paxmate is more specifically designed for sound absorption and a small amount of dampening than adhesive felt. While felt is probably better than the bare plastic in the cups, I'd go for the Paxmate or Silverstone acoustic foam.

 

post #5853 of 10878

or try the Acoustipak foams. Silverstone just OEM's from others anyhow so unless you know where they get it from you have no idea if it's any good comparatively to other products that do their own .

The 3 layer Acousti will absorb quite a lot as it's denser layer is in the center and decoupled from the surface.  I found it to work pretty good, almost too good, and had to remove some because the sensitivity of the SFI's went way down. They make their own and have lab tests results you can check out.( it doesn't stink either )

 

I'm going to order another sheet ( 17 x 18 in ) I figure if you're going to all the trouble to get these things tuned do it with the best quality stuff you can at the time so it won't bother you later down the road.

enjoy.

 

 


Edited by nick n - 1/17/12 at 4:28pm
post #5854 of 10878
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

Quote:

 

Paxmate is more specifically designed for sound absorption and a small amount of dampening than adhesive felt. While felt is probably better than the bare plastic in the cups, I'd go for the Paxmate or Silverstone acoustic foam.

 



 



Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

or try the Acoustipak foams. Silverstone just OEM's from others anyhow so unless you know where they get it from you have no idea if it's any good comparatively to other products that do their own .

The 3 layer Acousti will absorb quite a lot as it's denser layer is in the center and decoupled from the surface.  I found it to work pretty good, almost too good, and had to remove some because the sensitivity of the SFI's went way down. They make their own and have lab tests results you can check out.( it doesn't stink either )

 

I'm going to order another sheet ( 17 x 18 in ) I figure if you're going to all the trouble to get these things tuned do it with the best quality stuff you can at the time so it won't bother you later down the road.

enjoy.

 

 


Thanks guys!  I'll be ordering one of those dampening foams and maybe the shure 840 pads.  For the time being... I raised my current stock pads by getting some black felt.. cutting it into 8 1/2" strip length wise and rolling them up... then curved the felt tube roll underneath the pads.  Seems to work pretty well and looks better than tissue paper.

 

post #5855 of 10878

I really need to write my English essay, but I'll write this quickly...

 

I ordered the modding pack from ebay a couple weeks ago and it just came today, I did a combo mod of the BMFv? and the Rastapants 2i without any tweaking and these now sound so amazing.

 

Once I equ'ed it, I was like basshead.gifL3000.gifdt880smile.png

 

YES, ALL OF THOSE AT ONCE

 

I'll elaborate once this essay is done...

 

SO AMAZING

post #5856 of 10878

Who's selling those mod packs on ebay?  Must be someone around these parts.

post #5857 of 10878
Apparently cedarpants custom headphones are now for sale on eBay for $200.00. If I was smeggy I'd feel insulted.
post #5858 of 10878
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter450 View Post

Apparently cedarpants custom headphones are now for sale on eBay for $200.00. If I was smeggy I'd feel insulted.


He'd probably be even more insulted if they weren't sad, fugly imitations.

 

post #5859 of 10878
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter450 View Post

Apparently cedarpants custom headphones are now for sale on eBay for $200.00. If I was smeggy I'd feel insulted.


apparently he's also substituted a real baffle for a piece of foam board too.  I bet they just sound wonderful...

 

post #5860 of 10878

I'm surprised this is the first time they have been mentioned.  They've been on ebay for $250 for awhile now.  Heres some pics of them http://www.head-fi.org/gallery/album/view/id/48201/user_id/159248#page=0&sort=display_order

 

*I do not know the guy selling these. I was just interested in them so I did a little digging.*

post #5861 of 10878

I've had this guy do some recabling for me. He's given me solid service at a very fair price. I think what you're getting for $200, though maybe not quite as nice as Thunderpants, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You could even further mod them if you wanted to, I suppose. 

 

Has anyone heard these?

post #5862 of 10878

But damn if those wooden posts don't look strange haha!

 

I like the price a lot though.

 

Also, I've started to use lead tape for the mass loading. I had a lot sitting around from tennis, and some others might have it from golf... But it's super dense and doesn't add as many little quirks to the sound as fatmat or plasticine IME.


Edited by pyrokid - 1/18/12 at 8:33pm
post #5863 of 10878
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

I've had this guy do some recabling for me. He's given me solid service at a very fair price. I think what you're getting for $200, though maybe not quite as nice as Thunderpants, sounds like a pretty good deal to me. You could even further mod them if you wanted to, I suppose. 

 

Has anyone heard these?



This thread owes a lot to Smeggy and the time and effort he invested in this driver.  Smeggy's generously shared his work with the community, and that guy is ripping it off and then undercutting his price. 

 

Not cool at all IMO.  I hope no one buys anything from him. 


Edited by rhythmdevils - 1/18/12 at 9:37pm
post #5864 of 10878

Do wooden cups really make that big a difference? I'm not sure why I'm still so skeptical, but I kind of am...

 

I'll have to try and make a pair of my own if they do. With my wordworking skills though, I might get laughed off the stage. eek.gif

 

I get that Smeggy has a good bit to be mad about, but on the other hand this wasn't completely unforseeable... An open, un-patented design that's had its creation documented is kind of begging for "competition."


Edited by pyrokid - 1/18/12 at 9:19pm
post #5865 of 10878
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post



Does it matter?  This thread owes a lot to Smeggy and the time and effort he invested in this driver.  Smeggy's generously shared his work with the community, and that guy is ripping it off and then undercutting his price. 

 

Not cool at all IMO.  I hope no one buys anything from him. 


I'm curious as to what is 'ripped off'. You also laid into the Koda^2 for "borrowing so many of Smeggy's ideas". I haven't followed the lineage of every T50RP mod, so I'm curious what mods (other than the general idea of custom cups) these cans have borrowed too much from Smeggy's work. 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!