Looking for some help with my recent Rastapants 2 mod.
I listened to the stock T50RP's for a bit -- just to gauge how things change -- and then I ran through the directions here to perform the Rastapants 2 mod, which went well. I used Dynamat on about half of the inside portion of outer ear cup, taped over the vent, then covered everything with acoustic foam. I used modeling clay to fill the holes, the outer gasket, and then removed the white gauze over the driver and covered with felt. Finally, I exposed the ear-side of the driver (leaving the dust filter) and covered the remainder with acoustic foam. Reassembled, etc., with the Shure 840 pads. Nice!
Anyhow, there is no doubt that the bass response is very much improved, but I feel like the mids are overpowering, while the highs are recessed. It's to the point where on albums with strong mids, well.... it's almost unbearable for me.
On a related note, I'm also considering switching over to wood ear cups + baffles. How does that change the sound sig? Anyone else here tried the Plastic Pantz mod....and with good results? I *love* the look.
I subsequently made a few easy enhancements once I got my measurement gear setup that addressed these issues (forget where I posted those):
1) Use about 6 "regular" cotton balls teased apart per cup to fill the whole space in the cup. This gets rid of a resonance at 1K that overdoes the mids.
2) Adjust the tape so the vent is about 80% closed. This maximizes bass extension with these pads (don't forget two pieces of stacked paxmate on the rear edge of the pads to get some tilt).
3) Remove the craft felt and leave the driver bare, except for a piece of electrical tape on the center square on the inside of the driver. This fixes the treble balance.
That should do it. Let me know how it works for you.