Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 273

post #4081 of 10599

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

I completely agree with you about the lack of a "wow" factor with this headphone. I felt the exact same way the first time I heard the LCD-2.

 

When I first heard the K701, my first thought was "Wow! The soundstage is so huge, and the treble is so detailed!"

 

When I first heard the HD650, my first thought was "Wow! the sound is so warm and lush!"

 

When i first heard the Pro 900, my first thought was "Wow! The bass literally shakes my brain loose!" 

 

But with all of those headphones, the more I listen, the more I realized that the strengths were at the expense of some increasingly nagging weaknesses. The K701 was too dry and lacked the body to perform well with most genres. The HD650 seemed lazy and washed over the finer details. The Pro 900's recessed midrange buried any vocals beneath the bass and treble frequencies.

 

I demo'd the LCD's for about an hour at a local hi-fi store. When I first put them on, I was disappointed because for 1K they'd better provide a much bigger "WOW" factor than those mid-tiered phones. Nothing really jumped out. But the more I listened, the more they charmed their way into my soul. They presented the music in such a smooth and natural way, with no glaring weaknesses in its presentation. These were headphones that didn't impose their character into the music, but melted out of the way to let you enjoy your music. 

 

I feel a well-tuned T50RP is the same way. As you've found, the hardest part (in my experience) is reconciling the lower midrange bloom with the bass presentation. It seems the more you improve one area, the more you displace from the performance of the other. I'm not even sure I've extracted the most I can, but I've settled on a happy medium between the two (with a somewhat similar setup as yours).

 

 


Yes, perhaps I just need to give them more time. Of course, I won't stop tweaking them!

 

post #4082 of 10599

A well driven t50 with any mods playing some infected mushroom wows me every time. If you have not tried it out yet i suggest you do, even if you hate electronic. Infected mushroom really showcases the wow factors of the t50 if you have yet to hear it. Try "end of the road" and listen for the breaking glass ;)    The amount of black space between instruments also gets me every time.  If you listen to anything... Try infected mushroom- project 100 from 5:15 in and listen from there. if some of that doesnt make you just mouthbreathe, your crazy. 

 

here you go: make sure you click it to 720p and skip to 5:15 if you like.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuaXAqr_Dw  

 

 

M

post #4083 of 10599

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

Also I don't think I'll ever be just an ortho or just a dynamic. I need both and enjoy both. I have been listening to a lot of orthos lately with the T50RP as well as the HE-4 but I also have my K501 which I got today and my DT880 and also my Magnums so I'm more of a good sound kind of guy with various signatures. I don't care what kind of driver technology it is as long as it sounds good then the rest doesn't matter.


Yeah, I'm the same way. I don't think I'll ever be a one-headphone guy. I like having different flavors to spice things up. 

 

With that said, if I had to pare down my headphones to only one, I'd likely keep this T50RP.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

Quote:

Yes, perhaps I just need to give them more time. Of course, I won't stop tweaking them!

 


Yeah, tweaking them is half the fun. Also, it's quite possible you just prefer dynamics to orthos (and aboslutely nothing wrong with that). I had a friend come over one day, and he said he preferred this pair of modded SR60i I had at the time to the LCD-2. He preferred a Stax Lambda over all of them, while I preferred the exact opposite order. 

 

post #4084 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans030390 View Post

In response to my previous post, I tried fooling around with the EQ while listening to these. Bumped up the frequencies at 2KHz and above just a hair, and they do sound considerably better to my ears. I also closed the vents a bit more. That also helped, though their still seems to be a little bit of bloat. Perhaps the felt I'm using is too breathable? No one answered my previous question about the varying thickness/density in the 2mm stiffened Creatology felt...

 

Either way, I can see now why people are raving about these...but something still sounds off to my ears...I wish I was better at pinpointing problems like these, because I'm not sure WHAT it is that sounds off...

Yes, I think there's always the risk of variability in materials. I'm pretty sure that products we buy in craft stores don't necessarily meet the most rigorous standards for consistency. :)

 

As I recall, you chose to use the thinner section of felt over the drivers. You might want to try a thicker/denser piece, to reduce the bass bloom and enhance the top end. Alternatively, close up the vents on the cups even tighter and/or try the Transpore tape over the drivers, as others have suggested.

 

(I've still got the stock white felt in place and still don't have the top end sparkle of my k701. At first I tried a few things to get it there...but now I'm starting to think that's a good thing.)

 

EDIT: Just saw Questhates post #4079. I think that might be a bigger perspective of the little slice that I'm trying to express above. 


Edited by micmacmo - 10/19/11 at 10:15pm
post #4085 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinster View Post

1.5 Tesla !  That is better then the T1 from Beyerdynamic. Pretty impressive basshead.gif

 

They have the headband of the Denon and the cups shape from JVC.


Did you see the note that it can only be worn by people with iron deficiency due to the incredibly high flux?

 

post #4086 of 10599

I totally agree with you about Infected Mushroom; been listening to the album "Legend of the Black Shawarma", and the track "Poquito Mas" and "Sa'eed" is totally awesome!!

Also, if you haven't tried it mmayer167, Shpongle with the album "Tales of The Inexpressible" is out of this world, especially the first track "Dorset Perception", a must song for me to try new headphone.. :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer167 View Post

A well driven t50 with any mods playing some infected mushroom wows me every time. If you have not tried it out yet i suggest you do, even if you hate electronic. Infected mushroom really showcases the wow factors of the t50 if you have yet to hear it. Try "end of the road" and listen for the breaking glass ;)    The amount of black space between instruments also gets me every time.  If you listen to anything... Try infected mushroom- project 100 from 5:15 in and listen from there. if some of that doesnt make you just mouthbreathe, your crazy. 

 

here you go: make sure you click it to 720p and skip to 5:15 if you like.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuaXAqr_Dw  

 

 

M



 

post #4087 of 10599

Seems I'll need a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter for these, can anyone toss me a link on amazon or such of an adapter, there's a ****ton and a lot of them are fairly bad reviews, I just want something that will work and not worry about being defective.


Edit:

 

Wondering if http://www.amazon.com/Generic-3-5mm-Adapter/dp/B003VGRDUK/ref=pd_rhf_se_p_img_2 would be a good choice, y/n?


Edited by Sub Focus - 10/20/11 at 1:00am
post #4088 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Focus View Post

Seems I'll need a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter for these, can anyone toss me a link on amazon or such of an adapter, there's a ****ton and a lot of them are fairly bad reviews, I just want something that will work and not worry about being defective.



Here you go. This is the one I am using.

post #4089 of 10599
Originally Posted by Sub Focus View Post

Seems I'll need a 1/4 to 3.5mm adapter for these, can anyone toss me a link on amazon or such of an adapter, there's a ****ton and a lot of them are fairly bad reviews, I just want something that will work and not worry about being defective.


I have the right angle Cardas adapter.  It works well if you plan on using the adapter with an iPhone/iTouch/iPod as it contours to the shape of the device and puts less strain on the connection.  There's also the Grado adapter if you want a straight, 3.5mm plug.

post #4090 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

Here you go. This is the one I am using.



Just wondering, any reason I'd want to spend 14 extra bucks, instead of the one I posted, again, I'm just asking, total noob at this!

post #4091 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Focus View Post

Just wondering, any reason I'd want to spend 14 extra bucks, instead of the one I posted, again, I'm just asking, total noob at this!



Those cheap ones tend to go in and out. The right channel will go out or the left will or both. The Grado on the other hand really clicks with the 1/4 plugs and holds them in place. The adapter is made in the USA and the quality is far above those cheap generics.

 

Just my 2 cents but that Grado adapter has worked awesome for me for the past 10 years.

post #4092 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post

Those cheap ones tend to go in and out. The right channel will go out or the left will or both. The Grado on the other hand really clicks with the 1/4 plugs and holds them in place. The adapter is made in the USA and the quality is far above those cheap generics.

 

Just my 2 cents but that Grado adapter has worked awesome for me for the past 10 years.



Fair enough, you get what you pay for after all.

post #4093 of 10599

The thing I'd really worry about with the straight plug adapters is the strain it puts on the 1/8" jack--that's a lot of weight, and you might not only lose the adapter, but the source component as well.

 

If you have any soldering experience at all, it's also possible to source some parts and make your own.

post #4094 of 10599

Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

I completely agree with you about the lack of a "wow" factor with this headphone. I felt the exact same way the first time I heard the LCD-2.


And so did many ppl when the HD800 just got released, a good neutral phone is not meant to blow you away.


Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Did you see the note that it can only be worn by people with iron deficiency due to the incredibly high flux?

 

Where? When I asked a PM at Beyer I know, he told me that the T1 exhibited a very high magnetic field within the cups, but that there were safety rules in Europe for the maximum power allowed on the ear side and that the driver was fully shielded to only allow a minimal "normal" rate to reach the listener's skull. Rules might change in Japan of course, and I personally don't think that having 580VDC constantly flowing around your skull in the Stax's can be good to anyone. So much for whining about cell phones ^^


Edited by leeperry - 10/20/11 at 3:43am
post #4095 of 10599

mmayer167,

 

Thanks for the link to I.M.  I have never heard of them. That Is a fun listen.  I hear what you mean.  That put my modded #6 through quite a work-out and it never broke a sweat!  Amazing.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayer167 View Post

A well driven t50 with any mods playing some infected mushroom wows me every time. If you have not tried it out yet i suggest you do, even if you hate electronic. Infected mushroom really showcases the wow factors of the t50 if you have yet to hear it. Try "end of the road" and listen for the breaking glass ;)    The amount of black space between instruments also gets me every time.  If you listen to anything... Try infected mushroom- project 100 from 5:15 in and listen from there. if some of that doesnt make you just mouthbreathe, your crazy. 

 

here you go: make sure you click it to 720p and skip to 5:15 if you like.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKuaXAqr_Dw  

 

 

M



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!