I did a search and didn't find anyone else had mentioned this, but perhaps it is old and has already been done. I got a pair of 840 pads a few weeks ago. I didn't like the way they looked with the white string around the edge, or the way that they fitted when stretched around the outside of the 'phones. I also slightly tore the edge of one of the pads from taking it off and putting it on. So, I decided to try to wrap them around the baffle side of the cup, then screw the baffle back on, wedging the edge of the pad between the baffle and the cup. I had to cut out the felt from the middle of the 840 pad, and it was tricky to get the screws to line up, but I'm pretty good at it now after taking them apart a few times.
Now I have the 840 pad secured on the baffle by screwing the baffle on with the edge of the pad between the baffle and the cup, so the pad is secured onto the phone. I decided to try angled pads by wedging cotton balls underneath the backside of the 840 pad, which will work now, since the edge is pinched between the cup and the baffle. I think this is a great improvement. I would be curious to read what others might think of this simple mod. The cotton is only seen slightly when the headphones are off, and it seems to be a good material for this mod. I haven't tried anything else, but I'm sure that something more permanent and stable would not be difficult to implement.
Is there a downside to having the plether material wedged between the cup and the baffle? It seems to make a good seal, and there are serious logistical and aesthetic benefits to this configuration. There is also potentially a great sonic benefit, to be able to easily angle the pads to change the way the driver faces the ear.
I apologize for not having pictures. I can submit some later today if there is any interest.
Thank you to everyone for sharing your experience modding. I look forward to continue work on my T50s.
fyi-My T50's have blu tack in the baffle, and lining the cup, with thick felt covering the blu tack in the cup, stock felt + felt over driver, stock felt over holes in cups, small felt dot on cup reflex extrusion, and baffle side hole uncovered. With this mod and the angled pads playing test tones, I have more even frequency response than with the holes covered and the unangled pads, especially in the 2K-5K range. (tested by ear for difference in loudness, crude but it works for a basic answer).