Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 241

post #3601 of 10613

I have dynamat here, but currently mine doesn't have dynamat under the cup. Something else I may not have made clear is.: Make sure you tape over the vent after sealing the entire cup (including the 'dot' in the centre) with foam. (Tape from the inside). Then place foam on top. ; )

 

IMG_0389.JPG

 

 

; ) LFF and I have talked about this and he doubts the dynamat makes much difference... I'm in the middle ground. ; ) Mrspeakers does this it will make a difference. Glad he just elaborated with his thoughts above. ^^

 

 

 

 


Edited by Hennyo - 10/8/11 at 11:43pm
post #3602 of 10613


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbie View Post

The RastaPants 2 look incredible.  Bass quantity wise, how do they compare with headphones such as the Denon D5000?  I assume quality is superior, but they'd still need similar quantity for me to enjoy them.  If they do...../drooooool


I don't know the Dennon, but it's a safe bet these have deeper bass with less distortion than the dynamics would, though it would be less bass "heavy" than a real bass heads' phone would be.  If you're a huge bass head, you can always add EQ or open part of the vent, but this will cause lower mid emphasis too (most bass heavy phones I've heard end up doing that anyhow so if it is the sound you want you can get a huge increase in bass).  

post #3603 of 10613

Thanks for the response
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

 

I don't know the Dennon, but it's a safe bet these have deeper bass with less distortion than the dynamics would, though it would be less bass "heavy" than a real bass heads' phone would be.  If you're a huge bass head, you can always add EQ or open part of the vent, but this will cause lower mid emphasis too (most bass heavy phones I've heard end up doing that anyhow so if it is the sound you want you can get a huge increase in bass).  



 

post #3604 of 10613

agh killed the hookup wires in left earcup resulting in massive channel imbalance.  These will have to be shelved until I do a recable.

post #3605 of 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by drez View Post

agh killed the hookup wires in left earcup resulting in massive channel imbalance.  These will have to be shelved until I do a recable.


Really? how are they killed? Play with the jack connectors for the detatchable cable. That might fix it. Yes, that's the next thing on my docket. ; ) For my next set, a direct solder recable. I'll Xacto cut tiny 2 mm diameter holes in the bottom.


Edited by Hennyo - 10/9/11 at 1:28am
post #3606 of 10613

I squished the hookup cables between the cup and the baffle when closing it up - has a pretty decent dent in the wires - that or the jack connector is still giving me grief triportsad.gif

post #3607 of 10613

Pawstex' bass has already gone deeper but still not so 20Hz deep :P

 

@mrspeakers, can I use this in lieu of Fatmat?

FlashBand (also used as sound deadener in the auto world): http://tinyurl.com/3od2zxr

post #3608 of 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post

Pawstex' bass has already gone deeper but still not so 20Hz deep :P

 

@mrspeakers, can I use this in lieu of Fatmat?

FlashBand (also used as sound deadener in the auto world): http://tinyurl.com/3od2zxr



Keep tweaking them, killing the resonances and the stationary waves. When that job is done, they will go down to 15Hz, with a perfect defined and tight bass that doesn't bleed into the lower mids, like having a perfectly build 2.1 system straight to your head. We should treat these headphones as if they were speakers to get the best out of them.

post #3609 of 10613

Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Eh.

 

Oh, I thought the question was simple enough("do you get out of the head sound cues à la cd3k?") but if you don't feel comfy w/ the answer, then nevermind. Some ppl are SS whores, and this term would very much apply to me....you gotta help destiny from time to time ^^

 

post #3610 of 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

 

Oh, I thought the question was simple enough("do you get out of the head sound cues à la cd3k?") but if you don't feel comfy w/ the answer, then nevermind. Some ppl are SS whores, and this term would very much apply to me....you gotta help destiny from time to time ^^

 


If it helps you, I used to have them semiopen, with only 1 hole of the 4 open, but now I have them fully dampened and closed and I can't discern any differences in the soundstage, it keeps the same amazing envolving soundstage without affecting the bass quantity and quality. In fact, the bass now is even better than before, as well as the highs.

 

post #3611 of 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

Eh.  Shouldn't dog pile so EDIT.

 

Anyhow, just loving these things.  I hope someone will do the full mod soon.  I really want to hear the feedback, feedback on partial mods is nice but not the full monty.  Anyone local, I have extra Fatmat...


mrspeakers,

 

I will be doing the full mod to 2 sets of T50RPs, one at a time (I want to mod one pair and compare it to my current mod setup). I have to get the second pair and the dynamat from my twin brother first, though! That should happen in the next day or so though.

 

post #3612 of 10613

Originally Posted by SLaRe View Post

If it helps you, I used to have them semiopen, with only 1 hole of the 4 open, but now I have them fully dampened and closed and I can't discern any differences in the soundstage, it keeps the same amazing envolving soundstage without affecting the bass quantity and quality. In fact, the bass now is even better than before, as well as the highs.

 

 

Yeah, one slit isn't enough IME....and you really need to have only one layer of Paxmate and the back membrane intact otherwise it sounds muffled and overdamped to my ears. Either way, let's all mod this phone the way we want and you guys go fully closed if you like, I sure as hell ain't gonna mess w/ my semi-open current pair any further...OTOH my two spare T50RP's will get new treatments as per the doctor's recommandations soon enough very_evil_smiley.gif

 

post #3613 of 10613

A pic of you and your twin wearing the T50RPs would be a sight here cool.gif cool.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYoung234 View Post

mrspeakers,

 

I will be doing the full mod to 2 sets of T50RPs, one at a time (I want to mod one pair and compare it to my current mod setup). I have to get the second pair and the dynamat from my twin brother first, though! That should happen in the next day or so though.

 



 

post #3614 of 10613
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

 

Yeah, one slit isn't enough IME....and you really need to have only one layer of Paxmate and the back membrane intact otherwise it sounds muffled and overdamped to my ears. Either way, let's all mod this phone the way we want and you guys go fully closed if you like, I sure as hell ain't gonna mess w/ my semi-open current pair any further...OTOH my two spare T50RP's will get new treatments as per the doctor's recommandations soon enough very_evil_smiley.gif

 


I discovered that one slit might be enough depending on which one you open. There are subtle differences if you open the 1st or the 4th.

 

The fun of these headphones is the personal tweaking to your own taste.

 

post #3615 of 10613

Originally Posted by drez View Post

what acoustic material is out there in 4mm> acoustipack, silverstone, lian-li.  This lian-li is rubbish though - its not even open cell.


Apparently silverstone is just OEM paxmate. I think this is where we need to find improvements over Paxmate, which is lousy for its original purpose from what pretty much every review says. I'm expecting two 4mm thick samples, one being open cell the other closed...but its manufacturer told me that it still provided excellent absorption, so we'll see. I've got a datasheet for the open one, but all it says is that it abides by many ASTM/BS/UL classes.

 

This link says that AcoustiPack only comes in 12.5 and 2.5mm thickness, and that Paxmate's density isn't high enough("is unlikely that applying this product could have any significant impact on the noise of any PC in any case"): http://www.silentpcreview.com/AcoustiPack_delux

 

Certainly, there's gotta be some professional 4mm thick acoustic foam around...just need to find it evil_smiley.gif


Edited by leeperry - 10/9/11 at 7:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!