I modded my set to your specs last night minus the reflex dot (so far). From what I am hearing thus far, it is good. I am hearing more detail in the mids that I have ever heard on these phones with the stock white felt in place over the drivers. So, I am not so sure the 2 layers of Transpore actually do match the original fabric - so far to me they sound better, as the bass response improves while still allowing for more high frequency energy. The sound to me is more forward and warmer. I am using the stock pads with an extra layer of Paxmate to angle them, so that is a variable as well. Here is a pic of the back of one driver as well as the ear side showing the second layer of Paxmate. I may need to cut this back a bit.
I am A/B'ing this compared to my K501's. The areas in question are the mids and highs so far, which may be just a bit too forward for mids a a tad too recessed (highs). Hard to tell right now, as I have a headache, and will listen a bunch more later...
What works best for me is to have a reference set like a stock set of T50RP's, a favorite modded set, or LCD2's for comparison with my current modding analysis. I choose 3 or 4 songs of different genres that I know very well. I sound level match my reference and test cans with my SPL adapter for each song so I know where to set the volume knob on my Dacmini during comparisons. I listen to certain sections that I am trying to tweak like a bass line, vocals, snares, or high hats and play the same segment for 30 to 90 seconds - and alternate from one set of cans to the other until I can discern the similarity or difference I am trying to tweak. I repeat the process for each song and make notes when needed. Then, I make one mod change and repeat the process...over and over and over until satisfied or frustrated. I can open, mod, and close in 5 minutes, or less, depending on the difficulty level of the mod. Since I leave the plasticine and Paxmate mods constant, each mod is usually completed quickly.
For example, today I compared 3M Nexcare flexible clear tape X layers X grid placement X reflex dot against my LCD2's. Three hours later I have achieved the best I think I can accomplish with standard materials. The LCD2's remain superior in every way from width of soundstage to airyness to clarity to bass quantity an quality. I think I am at 85% of the LCD2's with my current mods to the T50RP's. Considering they are semi-closed and the drivers are 1/3 the size of the LCD2's, I think that's a pretty good outcome. In fact, if I compare stock T50RP's, the modded set sounds better and I can tell them apart when my wife does the old switcheroo test with me as the test subject.
Here's what I've got:
Plasticine and Paxmate in the usual places
Stock black bass port felt in place
Stock ear pads with 1 donut of Paxmate underneath
White driver felt removed
2 layers of 3M Nexcare flexible clear tape on entire back side of drivers
Individual squares of this tape at 2, 4, 6, and 8 grid spaces
Large reflex dot on center grid space
I tried every combination of tape layering and placement from 1 to 4; and 2 layers with individual grid spaces added in a cross, 2-4-6-8, 4 corners with and without the center space covered. I think there is a curvilinear relationship with my setup and my ears: 2 layers is not enough; 3 to 4 layers is too much; and 2 layers with the 2,4,6,8 + center reflex dot = "The Goldilocks Zone."
I think I have exhausted the multiple permutations of these mods and extracted all the goodness I can; unless some of you good guys toss a banana or two! I'm open and considering some different directions...
Edited by CYoung234 - 10/5/11 at 4:18am