Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 184

post #2746 of 10713

I'm going to try to throw up some comparative FR measurements of your 'phones. I hesitate to do this because FR graphs tend to be abused. But it seems like more than a few inquiring minds want to know.

post #2747 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin View Post

I'm going to try to throw up some comparative FR measurements of your 'phones. I hesitate to do this because FR graphs tend to be abused. But it seems like more than a few inquiring minds want to know.


eek.gif

 

Ok.....

 

post #2748 of 10713

That'll be great ... looking forward to listening to them.

do u foresee a time (not too distant, i hope) when you'll reveal all?  or are you planning to commercialize a la smeggy?

 

i'll be bringing mine along with a sunrise amp courtesy of garage1217 and a buddy will be bringing an experimental hybrid amp.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post



RMAF...probably not....

 

If I do happen to go (will be a miracle), then I will let people know. I do really want to go though...

 

That said, I do have some friends who will be going. I'll talk to them about taking my Paradox headphones with them so people can listen to them...
 

 



 

post #2749 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarman49 View Post

That'll be great ... looking forward to listening to them.

do u foresee a time (not too distant, i hope) when you'll reveal all?  or are you planning to commercialize a la smeggy?

 

i'll be bringing mine along with a sunrise amp courtesy of garage1217 and a buddy will be bringing an experimental hybrid amp.
 



 


Don't really know for sure....

 

With the sound I am getting...probably commercialize but not by much. I want these things to remain affordable.

 

post #2750 of 10713

Just having a little fun with you guys.  I have been successful modifying my T50RP's only because of all the ideas, work, and contributions freely shared by so many people in this forum.  So, no; I won't hold out on you.

 

I'm glad I found something new for everyone to play with; the "Secret Sauce" is ... Organdi.  It's a lightly woven fabric with heavy starch.  I found it an art supply store.  It is probably available at fabric stores, too.

My BMF Pants are real BMF's!  L3000.gif

 

They have deep, fast, textured bass.  The mids are clear and "creamy."  The highs are very extended and crystal clear with a lot of air. The sound stage is wider than any of my previous T50RP mods.  It's an over-used cliche, but I hear stuff with these that I have never heard before except when I use my LCD2's.

 

But, you know what?  I've got another idea or two I'm gonna try out.  This is so much fun!

 

Party on,

 

BMF

post #2751 of 10713
Quote:

Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

 

...Organdi.  It's a lightly woven fabric with heavy starch.


I thought about using heavy starched material as a replacement for the white lining on the driver....however, since it would be irreversible, I decided not to. I'm happy I didn't.

 

That being said, I am itching to get another pair to see how I can voice them differently.

post #2752 of 10713

BMF.. what are you doing as far as sealing the vents?  How heavily did you dampen the interior?

post #2753 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

BMF.. what are you doing as far as sealing the vents?  How heavily did you dampen the interior?



"BMF's" posted yesterday - a complete description of methods and materials used with pix; all except for the Secret Sauce aka Organdi, that's no longer a secret.  gs1000.gif

 

I used 1 layer of Paxmate in the cups (ain't purdy like yours, but works great), removed the white felt from the rear of the drivers in solid pieces for later use/reversal, glued 1 layer of Organdi over the rear of the drivers, added a reflex dot, mass loaded the baffles with Claytoons plasticine (or plastiline as it is sometimes called), and left the stock bass port felt in place.  The results are very good.  Impressive to my ears and better than anything else I've done.  ~85% of LCD2's SQ and SS.

 

I've got some more ideas to play with...

 

It is interesting that changes in mods can voice these things in so many different ways.
 

post #2754 of 10713

Doi.. I was too lazy to go back one page.. lol..

 

So it seems like my setup and your are practically identical.. I've got to try to fine the material you're using to see how it will tune the phones.. especially the mids..

post #2755 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post


I doubt the thickness makes any difference as long as your reflex dot material is impermeable to air movement from the diaphragm.  I have plastic, rubber, felt, and foam materials that range from 1 mm to 3 mm thick.  The one I installed on my mod 2 days ago is 1 mm.

 

Did you notice any significant difference between different materials? I'm thinking of using some small silicone dots used on furniture and the back of picture frames but am thinking the silicone will absorb or shift the sound, rather than reflecting it. 

 

These dots have an incredible adhesive, so using them could turn out to be a potentially (unwanted) permanent mod. 
 

 

post #2756 of 10713

Has anyone here tried both the SA5000 and the O2 pads with these? I'm wondering what the difference is if any between those pads.

post #2757 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

Has anyone here tried both the SA5000 and the O2 pads with these? I'm wondering what the difference is if any between those pads.


The O2 pads are way more comfortable.  I also like the bass and tonal balance better.  The 5K pads don't sound as nice to me as my 840 pads, which I think are still the "best-value" upgrade option I have heard (haven't heard the Fisher pads).

post #2758 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by micmacmo View Post



Did you notice any significant difference between different materials? I'm thinking of using some small silicone dots used on furniture and the back of picture frames but am thinking the silicone will absorb or shift the sound, rather than reflecting it. 

 

These dots have an incredible adhesive, so using them could turn out to be a potentially (unwanted) permanent mod. 
 

 


I have not tried silicone, as far as I know.  The "softtouch" brand bumpers in the photo I uploaded a day or so ago are what I installed (1 mm X 1 cm clear furniture bumpers).  They are semi-hard plastic. There is no information on the package or that I could find on-line about their composition.  Amazon has some very similar to what I got at Lowes and Home Depot.  They do seem to sound brighter than the foam, felt, and rubber bumpers I have tried in previous mods but I have not yet switched them out with the current setup. Consequently, previous modifications with different reflex dot components may have been responsible for less treble.  So, I am going to try the others while keeping everything else constant to see which, if any, sounds better in the current BMF Pants set-up.

 

post #2759 of 10713
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post




The O2 pads are way more comfortable.  I also like the bass and tonal balance better.  The 5K pads don't sound as nice to me as my 840 pads, which I think are still the "best-value" upgrade option I have heard (haven't heard the Fisher pads).


O2 pads really are amazing, though I can confirm that the 840 pads do work quite well.

 

post #2760 of 10713

You guys just keep tempting me with those O2 pads.....must...resist...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!