Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 180

post #2686 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFF View Post



Very nice.

 

Just to help you along...I have a few pin pricks in mine too.... wink_face.gif
 

 


When are you going to share your mods LFF? I'm ready to take another plunge but I want to see how your mods differ from the Rastapants variation before tearing them apart again (mine are very similar to Leeperry's pioneering efforts). popcorn.gif

 

post #2687 of 10599

FlySweep, Wow, you do beautiful work!  I wish I had your fine touch.  

 

I noticed a day or so ago that your central hanger compartment plate was off. I assumed you removed it so you could take the hangers off to facilitate modding and would put it back on.  I am happy you found the omission and put it back on to find that this solved one of your audio problems.  This is good information for everyone to remember.

 

It is also interesting that a single pin hole in your temporary masking tape makes such a difference in bass port tuning.  Just goes to show that there are still discoveries to be made.  I wonder if masking tape is significantly more permeable, or breathable, than electrical tape and Paxmate; in other words, would you get the same or a different effect if you put a single pin hole in electrical tape placed over the bass port vents?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Shot of the Silverstone padding covering the outer baffle:

 

IMG_0757.JPG

 

Another shot of the inside of the right cup:

 

IMG_0758.JPG

 

I burned these in for a good part of this afternoon/early evening, then opened them up the tonight to see if anything was amiss.  I immediately noticed the plastic-y paper that covers the center screw (which fastens the cup to the cup brackets) was peeling off.. huzzah.. a possible culprit to the honky mids.  After I fixed it, I reassembled the phones, sealed the cup vents completely.. and gave them a listen:

 

Oh. My. God.

 

My jaw was on the floor for a good two or three minutes.  Simply incredible.  Deep, lush, vivid, immersing sound.  The bass (quantity & quality) this phone turns out leaves me speechless.  Unlike anything I've heard in a full sized phone (it gives the 1964-Quad a run for it's money).  For it's prodigious bass, it's impressively fast and tight.  This is the most immersive headphone I've ever heard.. it feels like I'm listening to a live performance in some exquisitely tuned venue with crystal clear acoustics.  I'm beginning to hear why these phones get so much praise.

 

The sharp, lower midrange spike appears greatly diminished, there is much better clarity and separation.  But two issues remain:

 

--There is a definite upper midrange spike.  Sustained piano stabs & vamps, violins/cellos, male vocals, and/or heavy electric guitar plucks sound unnaturally forward and borderline fatiguing more times than not.  Male vocals in particular spike with many inflections & when certain notes are held for a long period of time.  The Weeknd's Thursday (a mindblowingly good album/mixtape, IMO) is an excellent example of where I'm hearing these issues.

 

--Secondly, the mid bass definitely needs tweaking.  When I hear heavy upright bass plucks, it sounds unnaturally forward and warm at times.  Many snare hits have a hint too much warmth and sound a bit muffled/flat.

 

I feel I'm getting closer, though.. I'm positive the midrange on these phones can be balanced out and will sound simply glorious.  Suggestions on mods to get this ironed out are greatly appreciated.  Has anyone dampened the cups to the extent I have?  I'm curious if that's to account for the excessive warmth/forwardness in the midbass.. I'm not sure how to explain the upper midrange spike though.

 

All listening was done with the vents all but closed:

 

IMG_0759.JPG

 

Look closely at the second vent from the bottom.. you can see what equivocates to a "pin prick" for a hole that I made.  The sub/midbass has incredibly presence and impact even when the vents are full sealed.  The "pin prick" above adds some decay and airiness to the bass.. anything more & the visceral bass & warmth completely dominates the sound and the bass is flabby and uncontrolled.



 


Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 9/21/11 at 7:06am
post #2688 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Shot of the Silverstone padding covering the outer baffle:

 

IMG_0757.JPG

 

Another shot of the inside of the right cup:

 

IMG_0758.JPG


Very nice, I'm anxious to get mine back now. Some questions though Fly. First I'm guessing you removed the white felt from the driver thus the silverstone foam on the ear side of the driver, but what did you put on the reflex dot in the cup; and I also saw where you got the o2 pads. How are those relative to the stock pads. Is there more sound stage, do they breathe better. The pleather of the stock pads gets sort of sweaty to my ears. Mine are also kind of peaky in the upper mids too, did the pads help that at all?

 

post #2689 of 10599

I appreciate everyone's positive feedback about my T50RP Mod Summary.  

 

ardilla, it was your post yesterday that prompted me to write a summary of the mods described throughout this thread.  Initially, I planned on writing a quick and dirty summary but, since I had the day off and writing is what I do, I decided to try for a more complete description that will help beginners like me and serve as a quick reference for more experienced T50RP "Mod Squad Engineers."

 

This forum is a "gold mine" of information gained from countless hours of creative thinking and experimentation by its members.  Thank you all for sharing your ingenuity, knowledge, and inventions that helps us all have such fun on our quest to finding our own personal aural nirvana...for less than a hundred bucks!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardilla View Post

bluemonkeyflyer GREAT JOB!!!

 

I included links to your posts in this thread, which also is trying to sum up the mods :)

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571549/fostex-t50rp-modification-summary-links



 


Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 9/21/11 at 7:01am
post #2690 of 10599

Flysweep, those mods look real nice and clean :) good job there

post #2691 of 10599
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

FlySweep, Wow, you do beautiful work!  I wish I had your fine touch.  

 

I noticed a day or so ago that your central hanger compartment plate was off. I assumed you removed it so you could take the hangers off to facilitate modding and would put it back on.  I am happy you found the omission and put it back on to find that this solved one of your audio problems.  This is good information for everyone to remember.

 

It is also interesting that a single pin hole in your temporary masking tape makes such a difference in bass port tuning.  Just goes to show that there are still discoveries to be made.  I wonder if masking tape is significantly more permeable, or breathable, than electrical tape and Paxmate; in other words, would you get the same or a different effect if you put a single pin hole in electrical tape placed over the bass port vents?


Thanks.. and good eye!  If you saw it from the photo & I didn't even realize it in person, I might as well do it blind.. lol.  I too wondered if a different tape will yield different results.. considering suck a small pin hole made a noticeable difference in the sound, I't possible.. I'm going to find some electrical tape today & I'll report back.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelJung View Post

Very nice, I'm anxious to get mine back now. Some questions though Fly. First I'm guessing you removed the white felt from the driver thus the silverstone foam on the ear side of the driver, but what did you put on the reflex dot in the cup; and I also saw where you got the o2 pads. How are those relative to the stock pads. Is there more sound stage, do they breathe better. The pleather of the stock pads gets sort of sweaty to my ears. Mine are also kind of peaky in the upper mids too, did the pads help that at all?

 

 

I haven't placed anything in the reflex dot area, KneelJung.. I got a furniture bumper from the store yesterday but I couldn't secure the edges of the "craft felt" to the driver backing when the reflex dot was in place (the super glue couldn't hang on).  I doubt I'll need it though because I'm perfectly happy with the quantity of treble & midrange.. which is what the reflex dot is supposed to enhance.

 

The O2 pads vs the stock isn't a comparison at all.. the O2 pads blow away the stock pads in terms of comfort & sound.. it's not even close.. and yes they improve the soundstage considerably.  With extended listening on the O2 pads, I came away very impressed with the soundstage & imaging.  These do not sound like typical closed cans.. at all.  Not only is the soundstage wide.. it's deep.  I felt the difference was a stark and very noticeable improvement from the stock pads.  Like I said before.. the pads are expensive.. but I have no regrets considering how effective they are.
 

 

Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

Flysweep, those mods look real nice and clean :) good job there


Thanks bud.. post up pix of your mods..

 

post #2692 of 10599

One doubt....

 

How thick is the reflex dot? 1mm or 2mm?

post #2693 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRe View Post

One doubt....

 

How thick is the reflex dot? 1mm or 2mm?


I doubt the thickness makes any difference as long as your reflex dot material is impermeable to air movement from the diaphragm.  I have plastic, rubber, felt, and foam materials that range from 1 mm to 3 mm thick.  The one I installed on my mod 2 days ago is 1 mm.

 

post #2694 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post




I doubt the thickness makes any difference as long as your reflex dot material is impermeable to air movement from the diaphragm.  I have plastic, rubber, felt, and foam materials that range from 1 mm to 3 mm thick.  The one I installed on my mod 2 days ago is 1 mm.

 


OK. So that means that I could use virtually anything as reflex dot. After putting it in the driver I should add some thick felt over the whole driver, covering also the reflex dot. Am I right?

 

I have just bought one hour ago a fresh new pair to start from scratch :)

 

post #2695 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLaRe View Post




OK. So that means that I could use virtually anything as reflex dot. After putting it in the driver I should add some thick felt over the whole driver, covering also the reflex dot. Am I right?

 

I have just bought one hour ago a fresh new pair to start from scratch :)

 

 

Well, that's one way to do it and that's what I did 2 days ago. You can use anything as long as it does not "breathe".  Although I am impressed with the results, I will keep experimenting because I have accepted that I will never truly be "done."  In fact, I'm am opening up my 3rd set today to test some new dampening material I found.

 

As for the "thick felt", that is another variable you must systematically test for yourself.  How thick or thin?  How dense or loosely woven? Stiff felt or "limp" felt.  Craft felt or rare Scottish Highlands wool?  Or no felt at all!  The possibilities are endless.

 

If you are patient and persistent, try this and make notes about your observations the effects of each mod, one at a time:

 

1. Leave white felt in place but make all the other typical mods (Paxmate, plasticine, bass vent tuning, etc) that you know you like.  Test and compare to a stock set.

 

2. Same as above but add a reflex dot to the center grid on top of the intact white felt.  Test/compare to stock.

 

3. Remove the white felt but do not apply a reflex dot to the center grid on the rear of the driver. Test/compare to stock.

 

4. Add a reflex dot to the center grid on the "naked" driver. Test/compare.

 

5. Leave the reflex dot in place and glue a piece of felt around the perimeter of the driver frame on top of the reflex dot. Test/compare.

 

6. Repeat for any other permutation of these variables and/or other variables.

 

When you're done, choose the variation you like best.  If you have another idea for a mod such as the type or thickness of the rear driver felt, start the process of testing one variable at a time all over again.  This is the only way you will be able to isolate the effects of any/all mods.

Then, humbly accept the fact that you are powerless to overcome the siren song of the Mod Malady and that you will never... really... be... done.beerchug.gif
 

 

post #2696 of 10599

Flysweep, what is that circular hole in the middle where you put the acoustic foam on the 2nd pic?

 

Also I'll post pics when i open them up and complete the mods :P still waiting on the foam and experimenting..I think I may go and get the O2 pads..they look real nice and comfortable there. Also I assume it was shipped ems?


Edited by rawrster - 9/21/11 at 12:19pm
post #2697 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

Flysweep, what is that circular hole in the middle where you put the acoustic foam on the 2nd pic?

 

Also I'll post pics when i open them up and complete the mods :P still waiting on the foam and experimenting..I think I may go and get the O2 pads..they look real nice and comfortable there. Also I assume it was shipped ems?

 

 

In the exploded view, #18 is the thin plastic "plate" that is glued over the compartment that contains the #20 screw.  The #20 screw secures the front and back hanger holders and the headband hanger to the cups.  There is a hole in Flysweep's cup because he completely removed the headband hanger from the cup.

 

In a previous post, Flysweep described how he solved part of his audio problem by putting the #18 plate back in its place.

 

Fostex T50RP Exploded Parts.png

 

 


Edited by bluemonkeyflyer - 9/21/11 at 12:35pm
post #2698 of 10599
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post

In the exploded view, #18 is the thin plastic "plate" that is glued over the compartment that contains the #20 screw.  The #20 screw secures the front and back hanger holders and the headband hanger to the cups.  There is a hole in Flysweep's cup because he completely removed the headband hanger from the cup.

 

In a previous post, Flysweep described how he solved part of his audio problem by putting the #18 plate back in its place.


Bingo.  After properly sealing the plate, I did not put acoustic foam on it.  Shouldn't make a difference though considering how thoroughly the rest of the cup is dampened.

 

A wise man once asked:           "If a tree falls inside my acoustically-treated T50RP cup.. does it make a noise?"

 

The Head-Fi pupil answered:     "Depends on how big the vent hole is."

 

tongue_smile.gif


Edited by FlySweep - 9/21/11 at 1:25pm
post #2699 of 10599

I've done everything (including Acoustic earbaffle =d) and have been experimenting... It is time ~ Enter stiff felt;

 

Rubber cement or Super glue? To attach the Creatology stiff felt?


Edited by Hennyo - 9/21/11 at 1:47pm
post #2700 of 10599
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post


Bingo.  After properly sealing the plate, I did not put acoustic foam on it.  Shouldn't make a difference though considering how thoroughly the rest of the cup is dampened.

 

A wise man once asked:           "If a tree falls inside my acoustically-treated T50RP cup.. does it make a noise?"

 

The Head-Fi pupil answered:     "Depends on how big the vent hole is."

 

tongue_smile.gif


Hmmm, consider the favorable effects of a pin hole in masking tape temporarily covering and serving as a bass port tuner.  I wonder if something 1000 times larger, like the central compartment plate (#18) located directly behind the center of the driver, could have audible effects "naked" vs cloaked with Paxmate...positive vs negative?

 

There's only one way to find out.

 

Inquiring minds, ya know?  smile_phones.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!