Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 744

post #11146 of 11157
You should measure resistance of each coil.
I have 8ohm difference. Rewire in this case not solve a problem. I decide to eliminate difference with 8 ohm resistor soldered to coil with smaller resistance:-(
Edited by dmkbox - 6/3/15 at 9:20pm
post #11147 of 11157
I'm giving up on an open t50 mod. No time at all so....I have the he400 frame up for grabs if any of you modders want to try it. Sorry for the shameless plug! Can't wait to get back into the clos3d mods and seal these drivers forever!
post #11148 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmkbox View Post

You should measure resistance of each coil.
I have 8ohm difference. Rewire in this case not solve a problem. I decide to eliminate difference with 8 resistor soldered to coil with smaller resistance:-(

How would I go about measuring the impedance? I know virtually nothing about that..

post #11149 of 11157
Just unplug cable from source and measure resistance on coils.
Simple multimeter do this job right.
post #11150 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeEliot View Post

Is there any reason to rewire these if there is no channel imbalance?  Is the wiring fragile, for instance?  

If mine are imbalanced, I haven't noticed it yet.  I do, however, want to repaint the cups, and it seems like everyone who paints the cups also rewires them.  I'll consider it if it seems remotely feasible, but don't want to screw these up, as the stock sound really only lacks lower bass to my ears.  


Rewire can give an improvement to sound. Also you'll benifit from the wiring style you want (dual entry, braded, ect) or moving to a balanced set up and over all higher quality.
post #11151 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeEnCreaTive View Post


Rewire can give an improvement to sound. Also you'll benifit from the wiring style you want (dual entry, braded, ect) or moving to a balanced set up and over all higher quality.

I've always wondered, what does it mean when you say "balanced" cable?

post #11152 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss969 View Post
 

I've always wondered, what does it mean when you say "balanced" cable?

Hi:

 

"Balanced" stereo can mean different things at each stage of the chain.  That is, you need a truly balanced DAC, a balanced Amp, and finally, headphones with separate left/right cables to each cup.

 

I use the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, but it is only "impedance balanced" (you really need a to have dual DACs, left/right, and isolated left right channels).

 

I initially re-wired my T50RPs because the stock 3.5mm socket was loose and causing static.  After installing a balanced cable, the difference in SQ is very minimal, in my experience.  However my silver plated Litz cables from my LCD2s did brighten up the sound a bit.

 

I mostly use my moddedT50RPs with my iPad (for Tidal and Netflix).  Happy customer.

 

I use

 

 

 

post #11153 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss969 View Post

I've always wondered, what does it mean when you say "balanced" cable?


Most common balanced set up is a balanced amp.

All it means as it has separate amps driving the left and right individually. Inluded with that sort of set up would be a balanced cable. Normal stereo cables share the ground wires. With balanced, hopefully there's nothing shared.


And @peterinvan said, the socket can be lose. For instance, I can't have mine fully locked in, or the right channel loses volume, instead I have it turned ever so slightly
post #11154 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterinvan View Post
 

Hi:

Nice photos.

post #11155 of 11157
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterinvan View Post
 

Hi:

EyuiOL-8ff.jpg

 

"Balanced" stereo can mean different things at each stage of the chain.  That is, you need a truly balanced DAC, a balanced Amp, and finally, headphones with separate left/right cables to each cup.

 

I use the CEntrance HiFi M8 DAC/amp, but it is only "impedance balanced" (you really need a to have dual DACs, left/right, and isolated left right channels).

 

I initially re-wired my T50RPs because the stock 3.5mm socket was loose and causing static.  After installing a balanced cable, the difference in SQ is very minimal, in my experience.  However my silver plated Litz cables from my LCD2s did brighten up the sound a bit.

 

I mostly use my moddedT50RPs with my iPad (for Tidal and Netflix).  Happy customer.

 

I use

 

 

 

 

This is sick! I have to get my head to it!
post #11156 of 11157

To anyone using HM5 pads on their T50RP (and not taped on), how much did you need to stretch it? and which part of the pad, the inner diameter or the back flap? My pads and other modding materials are ready, so I'm starting to try and stretch the HM5 pads out for a couple weeks before I order the headphones.

post #11157 of 11157
I had little luck with both the pleather and velour hm5 pads, while I could stretch them successfully to install, they started to rip pretty soon after I had to revise my mods a couple of times. In the case of the velour pads, the elastic band that kept the flap tensioned came undone, rendering the flap useless. I replaced the flaps with socks and adjusted my mods accordingly, the velour pads are pretty good sounding in this configuration (very similar to the stratopads).
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!