Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 706

post #10576 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

Sorry to anyone who saw this same post in another thread!

 

I want to call this my DE4D mod, because the drivers look like cartoon dead eyes Haha

I'm personally going to keep the very small piece of memory foam on and not the thicker piece, because I like a flavored sound. 

 

 

 

Having it with this configuration will make these things awesome for dubstep and EDM without being too bass heavy. The Treble is bright and the mids are only slightly recessed.

 

Stacked in this order:

 

memory foam (you choose how much)

thin plastic X that sits on the corner screws of the driver and isn't actually sitting ON the driver, just hovering over it.

white tac holding it on and surrounding the driver

driver

 

The cups are dampened with Dynamat Extreme, vents are totally sealed off with Bondo, and I'm using Shure 840 pads.

Terminated to dual SMC connectors for use with Hifiman cables.

 

 

 

Damn they look nice!

 

Good work :beerchug:

post #10577 of 10678
Has there been any attempt to transplant a T50RP drivers into any of the old Denon x000 series of headphones? Something crazy that popped up in my head.
post #10578 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

Has there been any attempt to transplant a T50RP drivers into any of the old Denon x000 series of headphones? Something crazy that popped up in my head.

It could definitely be good. It would be hard to get a replacement driver for those phones so a transplant would be an awesome idea if one went bad. It would be so easy, the baffle wouldnt have to be fancy at all because it's just a circle.

 

I think it was BlueMonkeyFlyer that transplanted some into a VMODA crossfade LP. That was awesome too.

post #10579 of 10678

The bass is so quick in this config. This is an EDM MONSTER.

 

DE4D Driver mod (Plastic X's) with transpore tape over the back of the drivers, Memory Foam between the Transpore tape and the X's (only in the center of the X) to reduce treble reflection, I used Sculpey clay on the baffle, and the inside of the cups are Dynamat'd. I used double-sided 3M tape to connect the X's to the drivers while still leaving a gap between them for the Memory Foam.

 

I'm using the X's to try and make the mids a little more forward. It's working, and it also makes the sub-bass stronger but it still has a pretty quick decay. Awesome double-win.

 

I heard these Fostex T50RP's today...WOW!

 

 

 

Also, I got a new camera. Super happy with the quality. And YAY MACRO!


Edited by cCasper TFG - 5/26/14 at 1:24am
post #10580 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

It could definitely be good. It would be hard to get a replacement driver for those phones so a transplant would be an awesome idea if one went bad. It would be so easy, the baffle wouldnt have to be fancy at all because it's just a circle.

I think it was BlueMonkeyFlyer that transplanted some into a VMODA crossfade LP. That was awesome too.

That's what I thought. It should be easy to fashion the baffle since it's just a circle, and circles should be easy to make either from wood or even 3D printing from ABS plastic or something. And the measurements for the driver cutouts are everywhere.

The worry is that since they (Dx000 line) are discontinued, it might get expensive even the ones with broken drivers.
post #10581 of 10678

I have a pair of D2000s, and I work at a plastic sheet factory. I could make this easy for you if you ever need a baffle.

post #10582 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post

It could definitely be good. It would be hard to get a replacement driver for those phones so a transplant would be an awesome idea if one went bad. It would be so easy, the baffle wouldnt have to be fancy at all because it's just a circle.

I think it was BlueMonkeyFlyer that transplanted some into a VMODA crossfade LP. That was awesome too.

Armaegis did the transplant into V-Moda shells.
post #10583 of 10678

Sorry! I couldn't remember. 

post #10584 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

Sorry! I couldn't remember. 

No problem. I didn't want to take credit for Armaegis' work.

post #10585 of 10678

No prob. It was an interesting experiment.

 

As for putting T50rp drivers into a Dxxxx shell... if we step into the time machine a bit and find Fostex drivers in wooden cups, I believe Thunderpands come to mind.

post #10586 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaegis View Post
 

No prob. It was an interesting experiment.

 

As for putting T50rp drivers into a Dxxxx shell... if we step into the time machine a bit and find Fostex drivers in wooden cups, I believe Thunderpands come to mind.

Oh very true. I didn't really think about that, the cup volume are probably pretty close between the thunderpants and Dx000. 

post #10587 of 10678

I think Dx000 cups are smaller in diameter and height.

post #10588 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZo2 View Post
 

I think Dx000 cups are smaller in diameter and height.

The plastic is going to be thinner than the wood of the Thunderpants, I wonder which has a larger inner volume. Does anyone know of someone who owns both the Thunderpants and a THx00 or AH-Dx000?

post #10589 of 10678
Quote:
Originally Posted by cCasper TFG View Post
 

The plastic is going to be thinner than the wood of the Thunderpants, I wonder which has a larger inner volume. Does anyone know of someone who owns both the Thunderpants and a THx00 or AH-Dx000?

I have a set of Thunderpants with custom carving. I call them "Double Dragons." Beautiful art work.

 

The inner volume is almost nil. There is only 5 mm space between the back of the drivers and the cup floors, measured with digital calipers. This space is consumed by some sort of glass wool (not certain of the material composition) that is compressed when the baffles and cups are closed.

 

Hope this helps.

post #10590 of 10678

Can the T50RP be modded for open back?   (For family safety concerns, I really need to hear my wife and son while wearing these.)  I was really excited to learn about the T50RP and I enjoy modding things.  The open back doesn't have to be perfect, but I want to be able to hear some outside noises. I don't mind if bass increases, as I love bass. My current headphones are Sennheiser HD 500 and I'm overdue for an upgrade.  I also just purchased an Aune T1 MK2 DAC/Amp, can't wait to try that too!


Edited by James35 - 6/14/14 at 4:10pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!