For those hesitant to open up the cups, just get the 840 pads and stick a piece of thin felt underneath before slipping the pads on.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Product Sneak Peaks, CanJam @ Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF) - Head-Fi TV, Episode 013 Last post on 10/31/11 at 9:34am in Head-Fi Network & Industry News
- Gainclone LM3886 for Headphone? Last post on 9/8/11 at 7:44pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Question about the Sennheiser 280s Last post on 9/20/11 at 12:08pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Happy, and wondering. Last post on 8/19/11 at 11:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Brainwavs are at it again with their new 10mm dynamic driver based IEM named "S5". I must say I was intrigued to try the new sample and where they'd come from Brainwavs B2 I owned many months...
A decade ago; I had bought into the crappy Logitech Bluetooth devices which I swore NEVER to buy again deeming it a bad technology. Ten years later; I now needed an in wireless in-ear device for...
I was looking for a cheap and cheerful, fun sounding closed can for listening at my computer at work and some limited portable use. I typically listen to EDM in this setting and had been using the...
I built my first ever PC with this sound card, I had already brought a Asus board that has SupremeFX and well the ZxR dethroned the Asus immediately. I have not heard any of the Asus Xonar PCIe...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 703
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Yes, look for
"DBV #3 Update: Modding Made (A Little) Easier (March 15, 2013"
or other later entries (unless you have a few days to spare to digest it all )
Big thanks to BMF.
Underneath the pads behind the cloth layer and over the driver? Hmm.
Yeah. It's not perfect and might attenuate too much from the upper mids/treble, but hey it's a simple thing to try and no screwdrivers needed.
Can anyone advise which T50RP mod is considered the most advanced and also which one has the most comprehensive guide from start to finish?
DBV #3 ?
or post #6086 of THIS thread
or Buy Alpha Dogs
Edited by jimmers - 1/31/14 at 4:16pm
I would recommend anyone on a tight budget look at the Indeed TA2021 speaker amp and the U2 Sabre Async DAC.....great pairing with Fostex T50RP IMHO.
You get the high detail of the ESS9023 in that tiny async USB DAC going into the 3 watts on taps warm tubey and punchy Indeed mini-amp.
I was worried about the noise floor on the amp spec sheet, but you can only hear hiss at 75% volume with no music playing and then it is faint...and as yet I have not gone over 25% volume and that is pushing it...
A really great budget chain coupled with your modded T50's into speaker taps for those on a tight budget.
Indeed amp is $81 including the 5 amps shielded PSU and shipping...it is actually called TA2021S inside the ebay listing (but TA2021 in item heading) now as they have upped the internals again.
U2 Sabre is $65 inc. shipping.
(I also use the HifimeDIY USB isolator as well in the chain.)
Both from Hong Kong.
Edited by Lohb - 2/7/14 at 10:21pm
I haven't personally used any on mine, but I'd think they're too big. You're likely to have more success with the Alpha Pads or other custom pads that are fit specifically for the T50RP body.
I'm sure that somebody has made them work before, but it would require more extensive modding than simply putting them on the T50RP.
So I finally finished a few simple mods (shure 840 pads, fatmat+paxmate+cotton in the cups, plasticine in the baffle/driver holes with paxmate on top), but I'm having a problem with channel imbalance. I tried Deoxit but that hasn't solved it either. The left cup is just louder (volume wise), but especially the lower tones (bass). You can physically feel the it vibrating more in the left cup moreso than the right. Any suggestions?
Edited by steelle - 2/19/14 at 3:03pm
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Sennheiser HDVD800 Headphone Amplifier 10 seconds ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-2 Dual Wolfson WM8741 DAC 48 seconds ago
- › HifiMan HE-560 US Touring Event - Sign up List Updated 50 seconds ago
- › Best amp/dac for HD 650s? 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › The Ear Pads Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 3 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by H20Fidelity
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › AKG K267 by Blinxat
- › AKG K490 NC by MP3guy
- › Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 Gaming Headset (CA-9011115-NA) by DallasDanielle
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)