Thanks for the input, I am using a fiio E-7 and I am also modding an M-Audio mixer as well as a fiio E-3 with an on off switch and volume control. The longer I use the 50's the happier I am. They are burning in nicely, I will be ordering the Shure pads next week from Amazon. I am contemplating turning a set of hardwood bowls for my Grado 125's, but that is another thread. Thanks to everyone for the advice and welcome.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- new cans for home. Last post on 1/19/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have I found the best Monitor headphones for $100 or less?! Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 380 pro: love it or hate it? Last post on 10/16/12 at 1:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most bang for 200$ ? Last post on 9/15/12 at 3:17am in Headphones (full-size)
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 669
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I got them and mod them right away. I'm still tweeking few things before making a good judgment on these.
i only found cotton ball in shop. i took like 5 and try to put all them together in the cup
but i'm sure they aren't doing the job like they should. i've looked around for the fluffy cotton pads everywhere and couldn't find these. Same for the felt adesive i need to put over the driver.
any link to an ebay sale?
oh no really they are done that fast?
I'm going to just volunteer to link the build post up.
...was thinking, you know if you blacked out the "ONE" and "PRO" it would be barely noticeable and very suitable.
Edited by nick n - 3/22/13 at 12:50am
I recently added some blue cotton stuffing inside the cups. I didn't really fluff it up much before putting it in the cups but tried to make sure it was a consistent density. This did a good job reducing the midbass energy and evened out the sound more. It's still not a perfect balance but its still really good sounding. The body and presence on these headphones is fantastic and they pair very well with my SEX amp!
The initial transplant with no damping was way too bright with a bunch of treble peaks too painful to even try quantifying.
my notes so far (Click to show)
needs that foam disk in front to prevent driver rattle
just bare transplant
- argh treble spikes
added acoustic foam and angel hair
double the angel hair
- treble down a bit more, but starting to feel a bit stuffy
- will have to come back to this, maybe do 3/4 the amount
- slightly more bass
put some velour into the hole
- oops treble spike came back up and lost a bit of sub-bass
- removed the velour
stock pads - smoothest response
J$ Beyers - better bass, slightly wobblier treble
$ Denons - even more bass, more mids, spike at 2.5k
felt in front of driver
- reduced the 2.5k spike
Edited by Armaegis - 3/22/13 at 9:34am
Armaegis nice work would be nice to know how the compare to thunderpants.With all these mods and transplants , it would be really nice if you can build simple measurement rig like what BMF had & plot some measurements.
The measurement rig is something that I've kinda deliberately stayed away from, for the same reason I haven't bought any of the equipment to start etching my own circuit boards, or power tools to cut/turn wood, etc... the phrase "this way lies madness" comes to mind. The scientist/engineer in me would wind up going all out and building as accurate a rig as possible and compiling tons of data for mods, which is something I neither have the time nor money to do at the moment.
I see you have nothing directly on the back of the driver . Maybe try some Arctic Bamboo to deal with the sound right away on the driver rear then anything floating around in the cups might not be as apparent if it reflects back? Just a thought. Maybe this will give some immediacy to the tuning , if that makes sense? The Cotton version of that material diffuses the sound nicely but has a habit of bringing up some highs slightly, the bamboo version is a little more forgiving, just enough.
You do have a stock of that stuff don't you? These seem fairly easy to break down to get into . Sleep on it maybe a dream will bring the answer.
So many possibilites. I bet the way they are now is still rather impressive.
I've had mixed results puting stuff behind the driver in the T50rp. While the DBV does produce a flatter response, something feels off to me. I generally like the sound of something in front of the driver, even if it isn't as even.
But yeah, I do have some of the stuff you sent me. I'll give it a try later.
Edited by Armaegis - 3/22/13 at 9:23pm
Got some T50RPs recently and I'm having trouble with the right channel cutting out. If I hold the cable in the right position, or if I plug it in upside down (so the cable points up in the lock position) it works no issues.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › HM-901 3 minutes ago
- › Aurisonics ROCKETS: Appreciation Thread 8 minutes ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 8 minutes ago
- › Ultrasone Pro 750 cable upgrade 8 minutes ago
- › Need some advices about gear 9 minutes ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 9 minutes ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 9 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)