Thanks for the input, I am using a fiio E-7 and I am also modding an M-Audio mixer as well as a fiio E-3 with an on off switch and volume control. The longer I use the 50's the happier I am. They are burning in nicely, I will be ordering the Shure pads next week from Amazon. I am contemplating turning a set of hardwood bowls for my Grado 125's, but that is another thread. Thanks to everyone for the advice and welcome.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- new cans for home. Last post on 1/19/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 10/29/14 at 8:24am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have I found the best Monitor headphones for $100 or less?! Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 380 pro: love it or hate it? Last post on 10/16/12 at 1:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most bang for 200$ ? Last post on 9/15/12 at 3:17am in Headphones (full-size)
As an amateur hi-fi enthusiast I'm certainly no head-fi expert, but that won't stop me from saying that the Shure SRH840 professional monitoring headphones are a sweet sounding set of cans. I...
If you’re in the market for audiophile-grade headphones, you’ve probably heard of Germany’s professional audio electronics manufacturer Beyerdynamic. In the business of handcrafting premium...
First, I’d like to thank Audrey and the folks at Brainwavz for providing me a sample of the S0 for review. This is only the second Brainwavz earphone I’ve had the pleasure to audition, the...
Introduction So here's my contribution to the growing collection of reviews on Rock Jaw's Alfa Genus. For those of you interested in purchasing a pair, hopefully this is a useful addition; for...
OK, before I get into my review of the MDR-Z7 I feel a need to give some background and history of my time on head-fi. It might help make sense of my love of this headphone and why at the same...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 669
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I got them and mod them right away. I'm still tweeking few things before making a good judgment on these.
i only found cotton ball in shop. i took like 5 and try to put all them together in the cup
but i'm sure they aren't doing the job like they should. i've looked around for the fluffy cotton pads everywhere and couldn't find these. Same for the felt adesive i need to put over the driver.
any link to an ebay sale?
oh no really they are done that fast?
I'm going to just volunteer to link the build post up.
...was thinking, you know if you blacked out the "ONE" and "PRO" it would be barely noticeable and very suitable.
Edited by nick n - 3/22/13 at 12:50am
I recently added some blue cotton stuffing inside the cups. I didn't really fluff it up much before putting it in the cups but tried to make sure it was a consistent density. This did a good job reducing the midbass energy and evened out the sound more. It's still not a perfect balance but its still really good sounding. The body and presence on these headphones is fantastic and they pair very well with my SEX amp!
The initial transplant with no damping was way too bright with a bunch of treble peaks too painful to even try quantifying.
my notes so far (Click to show)
needs that foam disk in front to prevent driver rattle
just bare transplant
- argh treble spikes
added acoustic foam and angel hair
double the angel hair
- treble down a bit more, but starting to feel a bit stuffy
- will have to come back to this, maybe do 3/4 the amount
- slightly more bass
put some velour into the hole
- oops treble spike came back up and lost a bit of sub-bass
- removed the velour
stock pads - smoothest response
J$ Beyers - better bass, slightly wobblier treble
$ Denons - even more bass, more mids, spike at 2.5k
felt in front of driver
- reduced the 2.5k spike
Edited by Armaegis - 3/22/13 at 9:34am
Armaegis nice work would be nice to know how the compare to thunderpants.With all these mods and transplants , it would be really nice if you can build simple measurement rig like what BMF had & plot some measurements.
The measurement rig is something that I've kinda deliberately stayed away from, for the same reason I haven't bought any of the equipment to start etching my own circuit boards, or power tools to cut/turn wood, etc... the phrase "this way lies madness" comes to mind. The scientist/engineer in me would wind up going all out and building as accurate a rig as possible and compiling tons of data for mods, which is something I neither have the time nor money to do at the moment.
I see you have nothing directly on the back of the driver . Maybe try some Arctic Bamboo to deal with the sound right away on the driver rear then anything floating around in the cups might not be as apparent if it reflects back? Just a thought. Maybe this will give some immediacy to the tuning , if that makes sense? The Cotton version of that material diffuses the sound nicely but has a habit of bringing up some highs slightly, the bamboo version is a little more forgiving, just enough.
You do have a stock of that stuff don't you? These seem fairly easy to break down to get into . Sleep on it maybe a dream will bring the answer.
So many possibilites. I bet the way they are now is still rather impressive.
I've had mixed results puting stuff behind the driver in the T50rp. While the DBV does produce a flatter response, something feels off to me. I generally like the sound of something in front of the driver, even if it isn't as even.
But yeah, I do have some of the stuff you sent me. I'll give it a try later.
Edited by Armaegis - 3/22/13 at 9:23pm
Got some T50RPs recently and I'm having trouble with the right channel cutting out. If I hold the cable in the right position, or if I plug it in upside down (so the cable points up in the lock position) it works no issues.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.5.0 3 seconds ago
- › Rate The Last Movie You Watched 19 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 28 seconds ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 45 seconds ago
- › Tralucent 1Plus2 2.0 w/ gold+silver cable 58 seconds ago
- › FiiO X1 firmware version 1.10 download and discussion thread 59 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 1 minute ago
- › Giveaway: Sennheiser HD700 and Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies DAC/amp 1 minute ago
- › Westone UM3X Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The NEW JVC FX850..Woodie perfection?. (A review) 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by SoundApprentice
- › Beyerdynamic DT-990 Professional Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by anoobis
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by dweaver
- › Brainwavz HM5 Velor Memory Foam Replacements Earpads - Suitable For... by shockdoc
- › CAD MH310 ( Superlux HD662 ) by p13rrot
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by twister6
- › Meridian Explorer by dnun8086
- › Audio Technica ATH-WS55i Portable Headphones with Microphone for... by oThatsEric
- › Advices for catching the right home loan
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3