Thanks for the input, I am using a fiio E-7 and I am also modding an M-Audio mixer as well as a fiio E-3 with an on off switch and volume control. The longer I use the 50's the happier I am. They are burning in nicely, I will be ordering the Shure pads next week from Amazon. I am contemplating turning a set of hardwood bowls for my Grado 125's, but that is another thread. Thanks to everyone for the advice and welcome.
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- new cans for home. Last post on 1/19/13 at 11:42pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Dr. Dre Trade - The adventure of bad Headphones Last post on 12/9/12 at 10:30am in Headphones (full-size)
- Have I found the best Monitor headphones for $100 or less?! Last post on 11/30/12 at 7:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- Sennheiser HD 380 pro: love it or hate it? Last post on 10/16/12 at 1:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- Most bang for 200$ ? Last post on 9/15/12 at 3:17am in Headphones (full-size)
Videos only at the moment. I'll do a write-up later. Apologies if you were hoping for something to read. Unboxing and design details: More details about the cables, sound and possible...
Introduction – Read Heath Audio (or RHA for short) are soon to release their latest and greatest earphone, the T10i. Much like the rest of RHA’s products, the T10i’s were designed to offer premium...
I've owned an EarMax and Sennheiser HD 580's for 20 years, so I'm already familiar with tubed OTL headphone amps. The linestage of my old Quicksilver started developing some noise, and I didn't...
I bought these from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and felt buyer's remorse when I wasn't blown away by the sound. They aren't bad, but they do lack bass and the feel is cheap. They were somewhat...
I would like to thank Brainwavz for the review sample of R3! Brainwavz R3 is a dual dynamic drivers IEM. It has 2 dynamic drivers in each housing, facing each other into a sound blending...
Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW! - Page 669
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I got them and mod them right away. I'm still tweeking few things before making a good judgment on these.
i only found cotton ball in shop. i took like 5 and try to put all them together in the cup
but i'm sure they aren't doing the job like they should. i've looked around for the fluffy cotton pads everywhere and couldn't find these. Same for the felt adesive i need to put over the driver.
any link to an ebay sale?
oh no really they are done that fast?
I'm going to just volunteer to link the build post up.
...was thinking, you know if you blacked out the "ONE" and "PRO" it would be barely noticeable and very suitable.
Edited by nick n - 3/22/13 at 12:50am
I recently added some blue cotton stuffing inside the cups. I didn't really fluff it up much before putting it in the cups but tried to make sure it was a consistent density. This did a good job reducing the midbass energy and evened out the sound more. It's still not a perfect balance but its still really good sounding. The body and presence on these headphones is fantastic and they pair very well with my SEX amp!
The initial transplant with no damping was way too bright with a bunch of treble peaks too painful to even try quantifying.
my notes so far (Click to show)
needs that foam disk in front to prevent driver rattle
just bare transplant
- argh treble spikes
added acoustic foam and angel hair
double the angel hair
- treble down a bit more, but starting to feel a bit stuffy
- will have to come back to this, maybe do 3/4 the amount
- slightly more bass
put some velour into the hole
- oops treble spike came back up and lost a bit of sub-bass
- removed the velour
stock pads - smoothest response
J$ Beyers - better bass, slightly wobblier treble
$ Denons - even more bass, more mids, spike at 2.5k
felt in front of driver
- reduced the 2.5k spike
Edited by Armaegis - 3/22/13 at 9:34am
Armaegis nice work would be nice to know how the compare to thunderpants.With all these mods and transplants , it would be really nice if you can build simple measurement rig like what BMF had & plot some measurements.
The measurement rig is something that I've kinda deliberately stayed away from, for the same reason I haven't bought any of the equipment to start etching my own circuit boards, or power tools to cut/turn wood, etc... the phrase "this way lies madness" comes to mind. The scientist/engineer in me would wind up going all out and building as accurate a rig as possible and compiling tons of data for mods, which is something I neither have the time nor money to do at the moment.
I see you have nothing directly on the back of the driver . Maybe try some Arctic Bamboo to deal with the sound right away on the driver rear then anything floating around in the cups might not be as apparent if it reflects back? Just a thought. Maybe this will give some immediacy to the tuning , if that makes sense? The Cotton version of that material diffuses the sound nicely but has a habit of bringing up some highs slightly, the bamboo version is a little more forgiving, just enough.
You do have a stock of that stuff don't you? These seem fairly easy to break down to get into . Sleep on it maybe a dream will bring the answer.
So many possibilites. I bet the way they are now is still rather impressive.
I've had mixed results puting stuff behind the driver in the T50rp. While the DBV does produce a flatter response, something feels off to me. I generally like the sound of something in front of the driver, even if it isn't as even.
But yeah, I do have some of the stuff you sent me. I'll give it a try later.
Edited by Armaegis - 3/22/13 at 9:23pm
Got some T50RPs recently and I'm having trouble with the right channel cutting out. If I hold the cable in the right position, or if I plug it in upside down (so the cable points up in the lock position) it works no issues.
- Just listened to some Fostex T50RPs today... WOW!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 54 seconds ago
- › Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04,... 1 minute ago
- › Schiit Modi and FiiO e12 viable? 1 minute ago
- › Recording party chat on ps4 question 1 minute ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 1 minute ago
- › Meet Alpha Prime 1 minute ago
- › DIY Cable Gallery!! 2 minutes ago
- › PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable... 2 minutes ago
- › Audio Technica ATH-IM70: A Bold New Direction 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by Terja
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by xonarboy87
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by TheGame21x
- › Sony Walkman NWZ-A10 by castleofargh
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad900x by manbear
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)