New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Playaz N1 - Page 2

post #16 of 506
Are these just renamed to N1 Pro now? Playaz ® N1 Pro Highend In Ear Kopfhörer NEU & OVP - eBay.ch (endet 13.02.10 02:12:01 MEZ)
post #17 of 506
AFAIK they are the same. Got my backup pair only a few days ago and they were exactly the same. But they're cheaper on the website
PlayaZ-Audio.com - Enjoy Pure High-End

I recommend dropping them a mail at kontakt@playaz-audio.com if you're interested. They've made me some good discount offers in the past.
post #18 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsy View Post
The only issue that still remains for me is the fact they are very sensitive to air pressure and 'pop' a lot when I move my head/mouth it makes it difficult to be in anyway active when wearing them.
Recently I've started wearing these over-ear, and while it's a bit awkward with the Y-cord, it definitely minimizes the crackling issue and is worth the effort.

I just had them on again with Gustav Mahler's "Resurrection Symphony" and all I can say is they're stunning for the price, stunning. Timbre, dynamics and soundstage keep up with or surpass most of my much pricier high end IEMs. I kept switching between these and the $700 Final Audio Designs and the N1 were not that far behind.

Having said that, has anyone gotten their Kanen KM92 yet?
post #19 of 506
Does Playaz have a model that is not so bass heavy?

As far as Kanen, the only one I would try is the KDJ-10.
Google Translate
Still not out yet, AFAIK, but I will be getting one.
post #20 of 506
These look really interesting. What's isolation like? Also, can we get some more comparisons? I might have to try a pair myself.
post #21 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jant71 View Post
Does Playaz have a model that is not so bass heavy?
I've heard most models and there are only two that stand out: the N1 and the Sonia II. Both have way too much bass for my liking (they are marketed as Techno phones in Germany). The Sonia II has less bass than the N1 and a bit more prominent highs, but bass is still more than the IE8 (min. setting). To give a perspective, I EQ the IE8 -8db@100Hz and the Sonia II -12db@80Hz.

That said someone who plays the IE8 flat on higher bass settings would probably like the Sonia II too.

But between the N1 and Sonia II the N1 is smoother and slightly more refined.
post #22 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by semisight View Post
These look really interesting. What's isolation like? Also, can we get some more comparisons? I might have to try a pair myself.
Isolation is only light, less than the FX500. These are very open phones, in that way somewhat similar to the Final Audio Designs, but that's why they have phenomenal airiness and soundstage.
post #23 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
Isolation is only light, less than the FX500. These are very open phones, in that way somewhat similar to the Final Audio Designs, but that's why they have phenomenal airiness and soundstage.
So how would you compare these to the IE8? I've wanted to try the IE8 for a long long time.
post #24 of 506
^ Ok, IE8 vs. N1 in sound quality only, because built is no comparison. Both have this unbelievably huge sound for IEMs, the closest to full size phones I've heard. Soundstage is vast on both, but the N1 is airier and has even better out-of-head sound. Both sound best with only a light seal. I wear the N1 with UE silicon tips and press them only very lightly into my ear canal until they stick.

The mids are a bit more laid back on the IE8 and slightly more forward on the N1 (depending of course on the EQ setting), but I dare say the N1's are a tad smoother. Both have a touch of warmth. The highs have more extension and greater detail on the IE8 but the N1 doesn't fall short by much.

Bass is what I EQ down on both, the IE8's is slightly better defined, but the N1 has more weight. EQd -12db@80Hz on my Cowon i9 the N1's bass is no more obtrusive but still has very impressive authority, like a 12 cylinder sportscar driven in second gear.

Overall, like you can see in my sig, I rate these two about equal in SQ.

Edit: I just noticed you have a Touch 2G. I'm afraid you can't get the kind of EQ you need for the Playaz with an iPod.
post #25 of 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
^ Ok, IE8 vs. N1 in sound quality only, because built is no comparison. Both have this unbelievably huge sound for IEMs, the closest to full size phones I've heard. Soundstage is vast on both, but the N1 is airier and has even better out-of-head sound. Both sound best with only a light seal. I wear the N1 with UE silicon tips and press them only very lightly into my ear canal until they stick.

The mids are a bit more laid back on the IE8 and slightly more forward on the N1 (depending of course on the EQ setting), but I dare say the N1's are a tad smoother. Both have a touch of warmth. The highs have more extension and greater detail on the IE8 but the N1 doesn't fall short by much.

Bass is what I EQ down on both, the IE8's is slightly better defined, but the N1 has more weight. EQd -12db@80Hz on my Cowon i9 the N1's bass is no more obtrusive but still has very impressive authority, like a 12 cylinder sportscar driven in second gear.

Overall, like you can see in my sig, I rate these two about equal in SQ.

Edit: I just noticed you have a Touch 2G. I'm afraid you can't get the kind of EQ you need for the Playaz with an iPod.
Hmm, looks like I've found my next IEM if I can get a decent EQ. Thanks for the comparison, I saw your signature but I was curious to know whether they were actually apples to apples or if each had its own perks and disadvantages.

I think if I jailbreak I should be able to get a good EQ somehow. And then I only have a 4GB library (no DRM, no proprietary lossless) so I could buy another player like a clip if I wanted to.
post #26 of 506
IME rockboxed Clip/Fuze and Cowon DAPs have decent EQ.
post #27 of 506
I just realized, you could probably build a hardware high pass filter adapter. I have most of the parts for it already (what I don't have I can get).

What equalizer settings do you use (i.e. decibels @ Hz)? From the equalizer pics you posted it looks pretty linear, so I just need two different frequencies.
post #28 of 506
^ EQ settings for the Playaz N1:
Fuze (Rockbox): -20db@40Hz, -10db@100Hz, -5db@200Hz, 0db@4000Hz, 3db@12000Hz
Cowon i9: -10db@80Hz, -5db@220Hz, -2db@780Hz, 2db@3000Hz, 5db@13000Hz

I know these are not exactly the same, but the Fuze and i9 have different sound signatures on flat EQ. I determined the optimum settings on each DAP by ear.
post #29 of 506
Well that's not as linear as I had expected but it can be approximated if you had a 6dB/oct high pass filter at about 400Hz. You wouldn't get the bump in the highs though.

A 1uF cap and a 390 Ohm resistor would put you in the ballpark.
post #30 of 506
So did anyone else here get a pair of Playaz N1s? I emailed them the other day but I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm looking for a pair if somebody wants to give some up .
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav: