Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) - Page 26

post #376 of 402
From my experience with a VAC PA80/80 (a push-pull tube amp with manual bias adjustment) under/over biased tubes sound perceptably worse than optimally biased ones.

The amp designer indicated that the 5998 would be up to 40% underbiased in the wa22 circuit. If, however, as Seamaster has indicated, the 6AS7G is already underbiased then the 5998 would be even worse off.
post #377 of 402
On a side note - I went back to the stock Sovtek rectifier and have to admit that I like it a lot more than the NU 5U4G. Much more dynamic presentation. The NU is a bit tooby for me: loose bass and rolled-off highs.

I can't spring for the EML 5U4G mesh yet - any other rectifiers worth considering? Maybe a Svetlana 5C3S Black Plate circa 1959?
post #378 of 402
What about mullard gz34? Good rectifier i think but alittle expensive.
post #379 of 402
I take it back. I was listening to some SKA and the snap/sizzle of the sovtek fitted the music to a tee. Moving to some jazz I found the sovtek underwhelming (and thats an understatement)

I'm going to try a JAN RCA 5r4GY and a Tung Sol 5U4G while I save up for the EML. =)
post #380 of 402

Okay tube newbie here bumping another thread, trying to understand how each kind of tube on the WA22 affects the sound signature. The only thing I really get at this point is that using a different power tube, like the Sylvania 7236 over the GE 6AS7, can increase the output level of the amp.

 

But could someone please explain in simple terms how the power, rectifier and driver tubes interact with each other, and how each one affects the SQ individually?

 

Thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to answer this stoopid-sounding question

post #381 of 402

Here is a good thread to read regarding the power tubes...

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/410326/for-6as7g-tube-rollers-here/

post #382 of 402

Any idea what happened to the "tube tutorial" sticky, did it get "lost in the cloud"?

post #383 of 402
Thread Starter 

As far as WA22

 

Driver tubes affect the sound the most, then rectifier. Power tubes affect the sound the least. For example: I you get too drunk, you would not tell the difference between GEC 6080 and GEC 6AS7G

post #384 of 402

Is there a difference between the 6080 and 6as7g  GEC.  I am not drunk at the moment

post #385 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double F View Post

Is there a difference between the 6080 and 6as7g  GEC.  I am not drunk at the moment


Electrically, they are the same.  Physically, not the same. 

 

6080:

 

gec6080boxes.jpg

 

6AS7G:

 

gec6as7g.jpg

post #386 of 402

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post

As far as WA22

 

Driver tubes affect the sound the most, then rectifier. Power tubes affect the sound the least. For example: I you get too drunk, you would not tell the difference between GEC 6080 and GEC 6AS7G


Thank you very much for that simple yet informative response Seamaster, it is what I have been looking for!

 

And thank you Skylab, for the link. Threads like those (and this one) are quite interesting and informative as well, but they do assume some basic knowledge that I do not currently have. The books that I have looked into seem to want to educate me on how to build my own tube amp, which is not my objective. I would be most interested in something like "headamp tube rolling for dummies".

 

Which leads me to another silly question, inspired by a post on that thread:

 

Is the input tube the same as the driver tube, or the power tube?

 


Edited by grokit - 7/15/10 at 10:15am
post #387 of 402

I did post quite a bit of information on the 6AS7G and its variants here:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/324469/review-four-6as7g-based-home-tube-headphone-amps-reviewed-and-compared

 

And yes, input = driver, for all intents and purposes.

post #388 of 402
Thread Starter 



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double F View Post

Is there a difference between the 6080 and 6as7g  GEC.  I am not drunk at the moment


GEC 6080 is little darker than GEC 6AS7G, little lack spark on the top compare to also. 6AS7G is little brighter and resolving, which may give you a sense of more dynamic also. The difference is small but audioble. Cans like Grado or HD-800 are actrullay benifit from using GEC 6080.


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post




Electrically, they are the same.  Physically, not the same. 

 

Sonically also



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

 


Thank you very much for that simple yet informative response Seamaster, it is what I have been looking for!

 

 


You are welcome
 


Edited by Seamaster - 7/15/10 at 10:37am
post #389 of 402

Does anybody know the output impedance of the WA22 as far as the HI / LO impedance switch goes?

 

Obviously a 32 ohm headphone would be used on LO and a 600 ohm on HI, but what about those in between cans, like a 50-75 ohm, or a 100-250 ohm?

 

I know it says, "Headphones impedance: 8-600 Ohms", and "Output: 810 mw with 6080, 2 watts with 7236 power tubes", but what doeas that mean for nominal output impedance?

 

That shouildn't change with the power tube selection, right?

post #390 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Does anybody know the output impedance of the WA22 as far as the HI / LO impedance switch goes?

 

Obviously a 32 ohm headphone would be used on LO and a 600 ohm on HI, but what about those in between cans, like a 50-75 ohm, or a 100-250 ohm?

 

I know it says, "Headphones impedance: 8-600 Ohms", and "Output: 810 mw with 6080, 2 watts with 7236 power tubes", but what doeas that mean for nominal output impedance?

 

That shouildn't change with the power tube selection, right?



Exactly my question at the moment. My WA22 won't be here for a month, but I still would like to know now. The headphones are Senn HD800.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)