Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) - Page 22

post #316 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudioDude View Post
Just won a pair of NU 6F8G roundplates! Oh man I'm excited. Sorry to anyone who missed out on them.
What the... So you were the one who outbid me... :-(
post #317 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
What the... So you were the one who outbid me... :-(
Indeed I was! I had my max bid at $80. It was pretty funny watching the last few seconds... the bids jumped up to $45, then $68 and it was all over!

I'm getting my TS 7236s today, I'll update later tonight with impressions.
post #318 of 413
Thread Starter 
Like I said you guys should have better communication all together. I was watching that auction too. But I was busy talking to my wife, and forgot about it. Lucky you. I am pretty sure you will enjoy this pair for long time.
post #319 of 413
post #320 of 413
Thread Starter 
$900 yeah right. I just bought a Springfiled XD-45 tactical 5", no money right now.
post #321 of 413
The scuttlebutt on the B65 is that it has very weak bass. No clue why they sell for so much.
post #322 of 413
GEC is great, but hard to try at that price range
post #323 of 413
Btw, I score tung sol 6sn7gt from 1960s. Not the black glass 1940s, but I got it for $25 shipped. Can't complain too much~~
post #324 of 413
Well, first impressions of my TS 7236s...

More power, that's for sure. I have to back down a few notches on the volume from my normal position. It's akin to going balanced.

I'm hearing more air in my songs; the soundstage is a bit larger. Bass is hitting harder but very tight. Midrange is emphasized and highs are very extended, wayyy into the stratosphere with no harshness at all. Sibilance is tamed, it doesn't seem as drawn-out and emphasized. I've removed the EQ for the time being. Very musical sounding, it almost sounds faster but it also lets you really hear the music at the same time. These are my #1 power tubes and I see no need to ever change them. I need to stock up on these babies.

I'm now able to listen to the remix of Pearl Jam's Black at high volumes without knives in my ears!

This is a great combo: TS 7236, TS 6F8G, EML 5U4G. My only complaint is a buzzing, just when no music is playing. I first got the buzzing back when I put in my TS 6F8Gs, so today I'll roll my NU 6F8G RPs and see what happens.

EDIT:

Just put in my NU 6F8Gs. The sound is pretty much the same, but it's a bit smoother. More midrange and slightly more detail than the TS 6F8Gs. No harshness at all. Bass is still deep and tight. The buzzing I talked about earlier occurs at a higher volume.

I noticed that the tube I have on the right channel picks up any vibration incredibly easily. Tapping on the chassis, for example, is picked up by the tube. At first I thought there was a loud hum in the right channel, but then my refrigerator shut off and so did the hum! This tube is extremely sensitive... the one in my left channel is fine. Would a tube damper help?

To be honest, from what I've heard so far, I'd be hard pressed to find a large difference between my TS 6F8Gs and my NU 6F8G RPs. Rolling the power tubes had a larger change.
post #325 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudioDude View Post
Well, first impressions of my TS 7236s...

More power, that's for sure. I have to back down a few notches on the volume from my normal position. It's akin to going balanced.

I'm hearing more air in my songs; the soundstage is a bit larger. Bass is hitting harder but very tight. Midrange is emphasized and highs are very extended, wayyy into the stratosphere with no harshness at all. Sibilance is tamed, it doesn't seem as drawn-out and emphasized. I've removed the EQ for the time being. Very musical sounding, it almost sounds faster but it also lets you really hear the music at the same time. These are my #1 power tubes and I see no need to ever change them. I need to stock up on these babies.

I'm now able to listen to the remix of Pearl Jam's Black at high volumes without knives in my ears!

This is a great combo: TS 7236, TS 6F8G, EML 5U4G. My only complaint is a buzzing, just when no music is playing. I first got the buzzing back when I put in my TS 6F8Gs, so today I'll roll my NU 6F8G RPs and see what happens.

EDIT:

Just put in my NU 6F8Gs. The sound is pretty much the same, but it's a bit smoother. More midrange and slightly more detail than the TS 6F8Gs. No harshness at all. Bass is still deep and tight. The buzzing I talked about earlier occurs at a higher volume.

I noticed that the tube I have on the right channel picks up any vibration incredibly easily. Tapping on the chassis, for example, is picked up by the tube. At first I thought there was a loud hum in the right channel, but then my refrigerator shut off and so did the hum! This tube is extremely sensitive... the one in my left channel is fine. Would a tube damper help?

To be honest, from what I've heard so far, I'd be hard pressed to find a large difference between my TS 6F8Gs and my NU 6F8G RPs. Rolling the power tubes had a larger change.
Wow, you've come a long way. Pretty high-end tubes you have there. How is your finger doing? Has it healed pretty well or is it also picking up vibrations like the tube on the right channel?
post #326 of 413
Thread Starter 
EDIT:

Just put in my NU 6F8Gs. The sound is pretty much the same, but it's a bit smoother. More midrange and slightly more detail than the TS 6F8Gs. No harshness at all. Bass is still deep and tight.

What else do you want from already excellent TS 6F8G? IMHO
post #327 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
Wow, you've come a long way. Pretty high-end tubes you have there. How is your finger doing? Has it healed pretty well or is it also picking up vibrations like the tube on the right channel?
Yep, very nice tubes if I do say so myself. I updated my thread this weekend. I probably shouldn't go into the details here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
EDIT:

Just put in my NU 6F8Gs. The sound is pretty much the same, but it's a bit smoother. More midrange and slightly more detail than the TS 6F8Gs. No harshness at all. Bass is still deep and tight.

What else do you want from already excellent TS 6F8G? IMHO
I've heard great things about the NUs! I was expecting more.
post #328 of 413
Is your TS 6F8G smoke glass ?
post #329 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosehee View Post
Is your TS 6F8G smoke glass ?
It has black glass.
post #330 of 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudioDude View Post
It has black glass.
Cool find.

Grats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)