Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) - Page 19

post #271 of 402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
Clear photo shot. It looks like silver sockets. Unusual looking. And the 7N7 bases look heavy-duty. Can't wait for you to try them out. What kind of preamp is Glenn using your Sophia in?
I don't know what other 7N7 adapters looks like, as these adapters are Glenn's personal pair.

They fit nice and tight, have positive click when I plug in tubes.
post #272 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
WA22 owner take note:

When you order adapters, ask for the grid wires exit out the adapters base in symmetrical manner. Tell him: just like Griffin's amp. Glenn knows what to do. I just ordered new pair of 6F8G adapter with single crystal sliver wires and Mundorf sliver/gold solder, of course the grid wires exit out the adapters base in symmetrical manner this time This will keep the left wire away from rectifier.
How much are the adapters with with single crystal silver wires and Mundorf silver/gold solder? And is it a big difference in SQ compared to his standard adapters?
post #273 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
I know. You also need an adapter to use those 2 National Union 6F8G Tubes-Sim 6SN7GT-Roundplates that Seamaster gave us a heads-up on. Boy to think those tubes were out of my vocabulary a few months ago and they were probably really cheap a year ago.
About a year ago I bought NOS Tung-Sol black-glass round-plate 6F8G's for $20 a PAIR. But word got out...
post #274 of 402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
How much are the adapters with with single crystal silver wires and Mundorf silver/gold solder? And is it a big difference in SQ compared to his standard adapters?
I could not tell you right now, because my WA22 is still with Modwright. I did a lot of research with hook-up wires, as Nanotech soild core single crystal silver wires or copper offer best performance within good price. I chose 20 AWG instead 18 AWG that Glenn sugested, when I pick up the silver, because I don't want to lose the body and density in tone. Silver tend to sound thin compare to copper. So I added Mundorf solder instead regular silver solder for further soomthing out the sound of silver wire.

I bought those supplies myself and sent to Glenn. you need 1.25~1.5 feet of wire for one pair of adapters, that not includes grid wire. the grid wire can not be soild core, must be stranded wire.
post #275 of 402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
About a year ago I bought NOS Tung-Sol black-glass round-plate 6F8G's for $20 a PAIR. But word got out...
Lucky you. Try $120 + today!
post #276 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
About a year ago I bought NOS Tung-Sol black-glass round-plate 6F8G's for $20 a PAIR. But word got out...
Is there no end to this incessant tube rolling? Will I be forever chained to my WA22 and its tube habit--or is it my tube habit? I'm having fun, though.
post #277 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Lucky you. Try $120 + today!
Too bad I only bought 2 pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
Is there no end to this incessant tube rolling? Will I be forever chained to my WA22 and its tube habit--or is it my tube habit? I'm having fun, though.
Tube rolling is addicting...but it's great fun
post #278 of 402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
Is there no end to this incessant tube rolling? Will I be forever chained to my WA22 and its tube habit--or is it my tube habit? I'm having fun, though.
It is only money
post #279 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Too bad I only bought 2 pair

Tube rolling is addicting...but it's great fun
I've often reminded more than not of NOS tubes commanding 10x more than they were worth a year or two ago after their obvious benefits were unveiled to the general public at large! So I wonder what the current $20 pair-of-the-moment is (that will surely cost $200 in a year or two). I bet no one is talking (except maybe for a PM or two here or there, right Seamaster?). FUN FUN!
post #280 of 402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
I've often reminded more than not of NOS tubes commanding 10x more than they were worth a year or two ago after their obvious benefits were unveiled to the general public at large! So I wonder what the current $20 pair-of-the-moment is (that will surely cost $200 in a year or two). I bet no one is talking (except maybe for a PM or two here or there, right Seamaster?). FUN FUN!
There were people long time ago before me started this 6F8G crap already. When I caught up, the market price already went to S**t

I got mine at "bargain price" at $80 a pair for round plate.
post #281 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
There were people long time ago before me started this 6F8G crap already. When I caught up, the market price already went to S**t

I got mine at "bargain price" at $80 a pair for round plate.
I see--so what do you have to say about these 6GU7; it's the first I've heard any mention of them.
post #282 of 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
Two more tubes will work with WA22:
6GU7 same as 6CG7/6FQ7
6C8G (look like 6F8G but sound different, may not be better)
Do I use the 6CG7/6FQ7 > 6SN7 adapter with the 6GU7? And have you heard any good 6GU7? Oh boy, more tubes.
post #283 of 402
I won the auction for the four NOS Tung Sol 7236s. I didn't think I would win but I'll definitely sell a pair to a lucky Head-Fi member once I get them.
post #284 of 402
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAudioDude View Post
I won the auction for the four NOS Tung Sol 7236s. I didn't think I would win but I'll definitely sell a pair to a lucky Head-Fi member once I get them.
Contact with tosehee, make sure you two don't bid on each other to death.
post #285 of 402
Would you spend $$$ on NOS Mullard GZ34 or the like or spend about the same $$$ on current production tubes like the Sophia, etc. I know they're different but if you wanted to save up for a nice tube which would you spring for--NOS or current production? Thanks!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in)