Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 1/4" Headphone Jack Dust Covers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

1/4" Headphone Jack Dust Covers

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Either my Googleabilities are lame (distinctly possible) or nobody else would want this...but are there such things as dust covers for 1/4" headphone jacks? I'd love something halfway nice-looking to cover up the two in my headphone amp. Suggestions (polite) welcome.
post #2 of 14
hmm... I know what you are talking about, but I doubt that there is an individual product that is made for that purpose. Perhaps you could rig a couple up in a style that you like.
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by logwed View Post
hmm... I know what you are talking about, but I doubt that there is an individual product that is made for that purpose. Perhaps you could rig a couple up in a style that you like.
An easy solution would be detached 1/4" male TRS connectors, but I don't want the constant wear on the contacts, i.e. something not metal that doesn't go all the way in the jack.

Trying to brainstorm here...but it's very sunny and mild in my brain, heh.
post #4 of 14
Masking tape.
post #5 of 14
Silly Putty.

Or maybe a 1/4" wooden dowel from the hardware store.
post #6 of 14
Maybe these would work:

EPDM Masking Pull Plugs - EPDM Rubber Products - Silicone Masking Plugs - Rubber Plugs

They might need a little carving or something to fit better.
post #7 of 14
Thread Starter 
I think I found a solution. Larry @ Headphile prototyped something along these lines a while back. They look nifty. I will post pics if he sells a few to me.
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
And here it is! Those are mine in the picture.

headphile BlackCopper Series
post #9 of 14
there are plastic ones and very well made one. you could search for TELOS RCA/ XLR cap.

Telos Audio Gold Plated Pure Copper XLR Male Caps Review By Wong Kok Chieat

Apparently its suppose to prevent noise from getting into the system via the exposed RCA caps and function as dust cover at the same time. Looks good. But as good as "marketed" i don think so.
post #10 of 14
You know how IEMs come with a half dozen tips that you never use?...
post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlim View Post
there are plastic ones and very well made one. you could search for TELOS RCA/ XLR cap.

Telos Audio Gold Plated Pure Copper XLR Male Caps Review By Wong Kok Chieat

Apparently its suppose to prevent noise from getting into the system via the exposed RCA caps and function as dust cover at the same time. Looks good. But as good as "marketed" i don think so.
I skimmed over this review, Darlim. I am not one to call BS on other people's experiences, but to the reviewer in that article however...
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof37 View Post
I skimmed over this review, Darlim. I am not one to call BS on other people's experiences, but to the reviewer in that article however...
agree !
post #13 of 14

I thought the same thing.  I dont think its you they are hard to find but I did manage to find some that I think are more intended for musicians.  Jack port caps made by Richworks:  http://www.richworks.ca/jackportcaps.htm

 

Helps if you live in Canada but I did buy a six pack and they work great.  You just have to be careful that children dont get their hands on them, they might think they are candy or something (choking hazard).  blink.gif

TRS1_4_inchA.jpg

post #14 of 14

Here’s a simple and attractive solution;

Get yourself some two-piece glossy black plastic case fan quick fasteners.  They can be had at most on-line computer mod sites.  Find an old black coax cable.  Cut the cable into .5” sections then gut the interiors.  Slip the sections of coax over the plastic fastener “keeper” and slide the whole shebang into your .25” jacks.  It will leave enough to grab with fingernails.  The fit is slightly loose therefore easy to remove, doesn’t bother the interior contacts and looks good, but most of all keeps pesky dust mites out of your .25” headphone phone and mic jacks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › 1/4" Headphone Jack Dust Covers