Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Einar Sound VC-01i Balanced SS Headphone Amp
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

REVIEW: Einar Sound VC-01i Balanced SS Headphone Amp - Page 6

post #76 of 88

So did Zorlac get this resolved, or did he get screwed on this deal?

 

For all of Little Dot's issues, at least they take care of their customers.

post #77 of 88

I second that. I was once deciding between this amp and the MKVII+. I ended up going with the little dot because of their customer service and the fact that the MKVII+ was way more powerful and actually had dual transformers. Even though I've now moved on, the little dot sounded very good(for the price) and customer service was excellent. I received it 4 days after it was shipped.


Edited by moodyrn - 7/3/10 at 2:02pm
post #78 of 88

I finally heard back from Edison and was told my amp was in fact the VC-01i by Einar Sound, but with the wrong face plate. Not sure how I can prove this since he will not tell anyone the difference between the Chinese Hevicy Audio VC-01 and his Einar Sound VC-01i. He would not give me my money back because it was past the one week mark since I had received it (not mentioned on his website or any correspondence). Also, he has been reading this thread and noticed I opened it up and took a picture. Apparently this voids the warranty too (even though nothing is mentioned on his website, nor in any correspondence). The funny part is Edison told me to use "DEOXIT's Faderlube" for the scratchy volume which I assumed would require me to open the top anyways.

 

Oh well...he sent me a replacement which I received June 25th. The replacement had the correct face plate and visually appears to have some different parts on it (inside and out). Build quality wise, the volume knob is bent and rubs against the chassis. This required me to loosen it and pull it away from the chassis. Good thing is there is no scratchiness and the left and right are the same volume at low volume levels.


I do admit the amp sounds pretty good actually, but I am just not very happy with the whole deal at this point. Very bad first impressions and customer service even though I am grateful that Edison sent me a replacement. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the Chinese company that builds his amps have horrible QA. He did mention to me that he was looking for a new builder. I wish him luck and hopefully others will have a better experience.

 

I sold my Audio-gd Phoenix and already regret it. Oh well...live and learn. I will probably go back to the Phoenix eventually haha, but the Einar will have to do for awhile.

 

I did email Edison asking him where to send back the Hevicy amp, but he has never replied back to me....

post #79 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post

I finally heard back from Edison and was told my amp was in fact the VC-01i by Einar Sound, but with the wrong face plate. Not sure how I can prove this since he will not tell anyone the difference between the Chinese Hevicy Audio VC-01 and his Einar Sound VC-01i. He would not give me my money back because it was past the one week mark since I had received it (not mentioned on his website or any correspondence). Also, he has been reading this thread and noticed I opened it up and took a picture. Apparently this voids the warranty too (even though nothing is mentioned on his website, nor in any correspondence). The funny part is Edison told me to use "DEOXIT's Faderlube" for the scratchy volume which I assumed would require me to open the top anyways.

 

Oh well...he sent me a replacement which I received June 25th. The replacement had the correct face plate and visually appears to have some different parts on it (inside and out). Build quality wise, the volume knob is bent and rubs against the chassis. This required me to loosen it and pull it away from the chassis. Good thing is there is no scratchiness and the left and right are the same volume at low volume levels.


I do admit the amp sounds pretty good actually, but I am just not very happy with the whole deal at this point. Very bad first impressions and customer service even though I am grateful that Edison sent me a replacement. I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume the Chinese company that builds his amps have horrible QA. He did mention to me that he was looking for a new builder. I wish him luck and hopefully others will have a better experience.

 

I sold my Audio-gd Phoenix and already regret it. Oh well...live and learn. I will probably go back to the Phoenix eventually haha, but the Einar will have to do for awhile.

 

I did email Edison asking him where to send back the Hevicy amp, but he has never replied back to me....


Damn, that's too bad. I was considering one of these for myself but the whole "making up the warranty policy as we go" is beginning to sound a little too familiar. Poor QA and customer service from another Chinese manufacturer, this time based in Canada apparently. The bent volume pot, the don't open it but lube it silliness, jeez. At least you have a decent sounding amp now, with a three-year guarantee as long as you don't open it, lol. Not funny really, but thanks for sharing.


Edited by grokit - 7/4/10 at 4:19pm
post #80 of 88
Thread Starter 

Yeah, that whole experience is NOT the way to get new companies off the ground.  It's too bad; I felt the amp provided good sound for the money.  But given there are a LOT of amps out there to consider, makers have to really ensure that they do not allow the sort of thing described above to happen - there are just too many companies with outstanding track records for customer support to compete with.

post #81 of 88

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Yeah, that whole experience is NOT the way to get new companies off the ground.  It's too bad; I felt the amp provided good sound for the money.  But given there are a LOT of amps out there to consider, makers have to really ensure that they do not allow the sort of thing described above to happen - there are just too many companies with outstanding track records for customer support to compete with.


Besides the LD MKVII, do you know of any other SS balanced amps in this price/performance class?

post #82 of 88
Thread Starter 

In that price class, no.

post #83 of 88

There's always the Protector to consider...

post #84 of 88

In China you have the SXT-2 Lite, but no one's seen fit to export that to the USA... yet. 

post #85 of 88

I would rather have the SXT-2 Lite anyways; it's the same form factor with a better PSU and a 4-pin in front and evidently a usb dac of some kind, count me in, except...

 

1262994069836899506.JPG

 

1262994069254091070.JPG

 

... there are two big problems: no balanced input, and where the hell do I get it?!?

 

I registered at Jaben's forum a couple of days ago to ask but am still waiting for "approval"


Edited by grokit - 7/4/10 at 9:51pm
post #86 of 88

Shoot mingo an e-mail, maybe they do a special order... They're also on taobao but I doubt they'll ship to the USA. If you really want it, I could help you import one in the next few weeks or months. 

post #87 of 88

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypoknons View Post

Shoot mingo an e-mail, maybe they do a special order... They're also on taobao but I doubt they'll ship to the USA. If you really want it, I could help you import one in the next few weeks or months. 


Thanks, if it had a balanced input I would probably take you up on that!

 

Once I am approved I will be able to e-mail him though.

post #88 of 88

If any of you guys wanna try this VC-01i out, I am selling it now for half price. I have decided to have someone build me a B22/S22 and need the funds. It really is a great sounding amp even though my buying experience wasnt the best. I just have an OCD problem when it comes to audio gear and my mind is now set on the Beta22  =P

 

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/502725/fs-einar-sound-vc-01i-amp-neko-audio-d100-dac/15#post_6803922

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › REVIEW: Einar Sound VC-01i Balanced SS Headphone Amp