or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 53

post #781 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I can smell a lot of hype in this thread (people ditching electrostatic systems just for this, etc...). I have seen this thing been done before, and it doesn't amuse me this HE-5 headphones will just be another competent headphone which some will love others won't find so special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somestranger26 View Post
True about the hype, lots of FotMs on here. However, one thing is for certain -- they fall into the correct price range for their performance.
I agree that the HE-5 are simply a good performer in their price range. I actually think, in general, the discussion of the HE-5 has not been over-hyped - they sound very good, definitely not perfect, and most owners had discussed their good AND bad points.

I like the HE-5 quite a bit - but I'm not selling my DX1000's anytime soon, or any of my Beyers, for that matter, although the HE-5 are getting almost all the "at-work" head-time at the moment (the only place I can really use open headphones is at work). Very solid performers, very attractively priced, and like most headphones, sufficiently idiosyncratic that they will appeal greatly to some, and not as much to others. Nothing more, nothing less.
post #782 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by somestranger26 View Post
True about the hype, lots of FotMs on here. However, one thing is for certain -- they fall into the correct price range for their performance.
These are not a flavor of the Month folks...they have definite performance potential, and perform far above the price with a stiff supply behind them. The HE-5 has wonderful....full, rich Bass that stats (for the most part) don't offer, hence the preference by many. STILL awaiting my cable I have been playing the HE-5 with two different Gilmore's designs, a LaRocco HeadCode and Stacker (the Stacker is fabulous here). I can summarily explore the differences (strengths and weakness) of each design and enjoy them all and adore wonderful playback.

Sources have been the PWT/PWD from PS Audio and Custom Theta Transport w/custom PS DLIII Dac.

They are revealing....that means rewards are a plenty for a good supporting cast. A bargin.....simply stated!
post #783 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I agree that the HE-5 are simply a good performer in their price range. I actually think, in general, the discussion of the HE-5 has not been over-hyped - they sound very good, definitely not perfect, and most owners had discussed their good AND bad points.

I like the HE-5 quite a bit - but I'm not selling my DX1000's anytime soon, or any of my Beyers, for that matter, although the HE-5 are getting almost all the "at-work" head-time at the moment (the only place I can really use open headphones is at work). Very solid performers, very attractively priced, and like most headphones, sufficiently idiosyncratic that they will appeal greatly to some, and not as much to others. Nothing more, nothing less.
My experience with the Phoenix suggests that it wouldn't enjoy a symbiotic relationship with the HE-5 in particular. Your observation of "smooth as buttah" paints a chocolate schmaltz on what should be a clear pane window. These of course are my opinions and will differ from your experience.

And with bare wire I will try the Moth SI2A3/45, but at the speaker tap. Other tubes designs have not been a good foil either in my opinion (more malty schmaltz)! They need Solid (State) BAWLS (bigguns!)!!

And NO....they won't replace the HD800...I've got those bad boys right where I NEED them! When you so enthralled you forget to breath....your on the right path!!!!
post #784 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
My experience with the Phoenix suggests that it wouldn't enjoy a symbiotic relationship with the HE-5 in particular. Your observation of "smooth as buttah" paints a chocolate schmaltz on what should be a clear pane window. These of course are my opinions and will differ from your experience.
What experience exactly?
post #785 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
<snip>STILL awaiting my cable I have been playing the HE-5 with two different Gilmore's designs, a LaRocco HeadCode and Stacker (the Stacker is fabulous here). </snip>
LOL !!
post #786 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
What experience exactly?
A week total and three active days in a system. To warm sonically and even warmer physically...to the point parts will suffer. The amount of driver control that was offered wasn't up to my expectation or my liking. It popped wheezed and clicked....and I wouldn't want a solid-state unit I can't leave on. Tube or hybrid amps cycle on and off...solid-state shouldn't have to.

The cases appear to be ones supplied by the same vendor that supplies cases for Ayon and Raysonic and they couldn't supply something three inches higher to help dissipate heat (with vent holes)? Just not to my liking! I'm not being facetious just honest from my perspective. Heat is waste!! The three enemies of electronics are Heat, Dirt and Vibration...one or all three have to be controlled for any component to enjoy longevity. The Heat led to bias over-saturation that made for the sloth-like behavior IMO. It painted itself all over the signal to the point that was all I heard (the bottom was worse). These are my opinions and will differ from most.
post #787 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachu View Post
LOL !!
Yup, I'm a Stacker backer...slacker. How you enjoying your latest creation Man?? That is an amp you can sink the teeth into...trade ya?
post #788 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I agree that the HE-5 are simply a good performer in their price range.
Talk about faint praise....

Let's see, a $600 made-in-China headphone would be the equivalent of a $1200 made-in-Germany/USA headphone. And I liked the HE5 better than the HD800....more musical, better frequency balance.
post #789 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
My experience with the Phoenix suggests that it wouldn't enjoy a symbiotic relationship with the HE-5 in particular. Your observation of "smooth as buttah" paints a chocolate schmaltz on what should be a clear pane window. These of course are my opinions and will differ from your experience.

And with bare wire I will try the Moth SI2A3/45, but at the speaker tap. Other tubes designs have not been a good foil either in my opinion (more malty schmaltz)! They need Solid (State) BAWLS (bigguns!)!!

And NO....they won't replace the HD800...I've got those bad boys right where I NEED them! When you so enthralled you forget to breath....your on the right path!!!!
Actually, I have mainly been using the HE-5 with my repaired Singlepower Extreme. They sound much better with it than with the Phoenix, although I don't think the Phoenix is bad, but without trying them balanced, no one will know how the Phoenix really can sound with them; the Phoenix is only a good amp single ended. It's a great amp when used balanced.

As for my comment about the HE-5 being smooth equating to slathering the sound in chocolate syrup, those are all your own words and thoughts, Alan. It's not what I meant, and it's NOT how I hear it. If that's how you hear it with the Phoenix, fine, but it isn't how I hear it. The HE-5 are clear as a bell, and they are FAR from syrupy, as Tim has indicated, regardless of amp. But I don't find them too bright with the Extreme, either. The Extreme is most certainly not a syrupy amp in any way.
post #790 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Talk about faint praise....

Let's see, a $600 made-in-China headphone would be the equivalent of a $1200 made-in-Germany/USA headphone. And I liked the HE5 better than the HD800....more musical, better frequency balance.
I agree with you re: the HD800. But I don't think calling a $600 a good performer for the money is faint praise - $600 is a pretty good chunk of change for a headphone. The HE-5 are worth that, and probably a little more, yes. My point is they are not some kind of crazy world-beater - just a really darned good headphone.
post #791 of 1668
Since it may seem like I have been trashing the HE-5, I want to say that some music I have sounds really nice (almost perfect) with my HE-5. In particular Sara K who sounds like she records her music in a live environment (mouth far away from mic?). She is kind of like the HD650 of recordings, no harshness. The extra brightness of the HE-5 with her sounds really great. This is the small minority of recordings for me though.
post #792 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I can smell a lot of hype in this thread (people ditching electrostatic systems just for this, etc...). I have seen this thing been done before, and it doesn't amuse me this HE-5 headphones will just be another competent headphone which some will love others won't find so special..

After watching the "over-the-top" hysteria of the HD-800's, I fully share your scepticism towards the FOTM mania on this forum. That said, The HE-5 is for real. These are superb headphones. I've had mine about a week, and am very,very, pleased. If anything, these are under reported.

I have a pretty good stable of headphones: Cardas cabled HD-600's, RS-1's, DX-1000's, K1000's, and Stax SR303, Lamda Sig's. All driven by serious tube amplification. At this early stage, I already prefer the HE-5 to everything else I own. I also prefer it to the HD-800's. All this is subjective of course. The HE-5 may not be for everybody, but if you get a chance, give them a listen. You just might find yourself a "fanboy". Seriously, at this price point, they are signifigantly better than anything else I've heard.
post #793 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
Since it may seem like I have been trashing the HE-5,.

I just counted 23 posts in this thread regarding your "painful sibulance". Anybody else getting tired of this? Please just send them back and be done with it. I'll contribute to the postage. I'll bet others will too.
post #794 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post
I just counted 23 posts in this thread regarding your "painful sibulance". Anybody else getting tired of this? Please just send them back and be done with it. I'll contribute to the postage. I'll bet others will too.


orly !
post #795 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCooter View Post
All driven by serious tube amplification.
Frank is being quite modest. He is a designer and builder of some of the finest sounding and beautiful DIY tube amps in the world.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings