or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 50

post #736 of 1668
looks longer maybe b/c the cables short.
post #737 of 1668
Customer service got back to me about my delayed tracking info... Apparently the order I received tracking for does not exist yet as they will be sending it out Monday. I was told that HE-5/EF5 were out of stock when I placed my order.


Confusing why I even received a shipping confirmation, but hopefully I'll get them before Christmas!
post #738 of 1668
Got back from Skylab's house (thanks again Rob). Here is what we found. First off, these headphones are fairly bright sounding in general (as opposed to say the HD650). We listened to several tracks from Cara Dillon and Alison Krauss as I found sibilance was present in those albums. We used his Phoenix amp (same as mine) and his Music Hall DAC. What we found is that while Rob's pair is bright, his doesn't have the sharpness and etch that my pair does- it's not huge, but apparent. Rob made a point that his bass/mids are maybe little more present (warmer sound) and causing the treble to sound tamed as a result. One thing is sure, we both heard sharper, more fatiguing highs with my pair over his. If we didn't have both pair to A/B, then it might be more difficult to tell differences (I bet I could though). I don't want to blame Fang and/or the manufacturing process, I think my pair is just a variant and not truely faulty.
Some might say I don't have as many hours on my pair (true) but it's approaching 100 hours of use and even dynamic headphones are settled by then usually. Also, I used both the stock cable and my Mogami balanced one with same results (stock was maybe worse). Another note: I listen at louder volumes than Rob so the brighter treble is obviously more fatiguing, so take that into account (even Rob's pair at elevated volume levels was a little too bright for my taste).
So.....I think I will have to return these or sell them (PM me if interested).
post #739 of 1668
Did you find his pair unbearable in the same way you found yours?

I am not suprised by the minor differences. I expect pretty much all headphones around these days have these small variances.

IF you found his pair too bright as well its just your taste. If you want to stay on the ortho train, I suggest waiting for the warmer Audeze LCD2 (from reports), or go for vintage.
post #740 of 1668
His wasn't unbearable but a bit bright for me. There is a lot to like in these. They make a lot of other headphones sound veiled. Funny, I didn't mind the 325is though.
post #741 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
Got back from Skylab's house (thanks again Rob). Here is what we found. First off, these headphones are fairly bright sounding in general (as opposed to say the HD650). We listened to several tracks from Cara Dillon and Alison Krauss as I found sibilance was present in those albums. We used his Phoenix amp (same as mine) and his Music Hall DAC. What we found is that while Rob's pair is bright, his doesn't have the sharpness and etch that my pair does- it's not huge, but apparent. Rob made a point that his bass/mids are maybe little more present (warmer sound) and causing the treble to sound tamed as a result. One thing is sure, we both heard sharper, more fatiguing highs with my pair over his. If we didn't have both pair to A/B, then it might be more difficult to tell differences (I bet I could though). I don't want to blame Fang and/or the manufacturing process, I think my pair is just a variant and not truely faulty.
Some might say I don't have as many hours on my pair (true) but it's approaching 100 hours of use and even dynamic headphones are settled by then usually. Also, I used both the stock cable and my Mogami balanced one with same results (stock was maybe worse). Another note: I listen at louder volumes than Rob so the brighter treble is obviously more fatiguing, so take that into account (even Rob's pair at elevated volume levels was a little too bright for my taste).
So.....I think I will have to return these or sell them (PM me if interested).
I have 2 comments to make regarding your conclusions.

1) Your comment regarding burn-in at 100 hrs, most dynamic cans aren't even close to being burned in at 100hrs, orthos are no different. Planar speakers such as Magneplanars take as long or longer to break-in as dynamic speakers (typically 2 weeks 24/7). My HD800 had a very sharp treble response at 100 hrs and same is true at 200 hrs. Not until well over 400 hrs did the treble response settle in. Now my HD800 after being burned in have less high treble energy than my HE-5 (about 100 hrs of burn-in).

2) The stock cable requires burn-in as well. Since you have not been using it, it will not be burned in. So switching from your balance cable to the stock cable will sound worse.

I assume you are not going to keep the HE-5. You should just return it. I doubt anyone here is going to want your "bright" HE-5 without a big discount.
post #742 of 1668
^ agreed. Even cables can take a while to burn in imo. I think you've been a bit hasty in rushing to judgement.

That said, if you still find Skylab's too bright then the HE-1's probably aren't for you.
post #743 of 1668
I would take Skylab's pair in a second.
post #744 of 1668
Then I think it is quite clear that you should return them, unless you want to reach a higher burn-in time.

Edit: It would be nice to read Skylab's thoughts on the comparison too
post #745 of 1668
That's the plan but I believe it will not change with further time. I will continue burning in to be 100% sure. People said the K701 needed 1000 hours or something and it did not change after 50 hours to my ears.
post #746 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
That's the plan but I believe it will not change with further time. I will continue burning in to be 100% sure. People said the K701 needed 1000 hours or something and it did not change after 50 hours to my ears.
Neither did it change for me. After the first 20 hours it stayed the same all the way upto 200 hours before i sold if off.

Solution?: Wait for the AUdeze LCD-2 , bit more laidback signature.

So true that the HE-5 has a lot going for it, but then it comes down to a lottery whether you get a nice pair of HE-5s or not.
Fang did mention taht they are hand made. so of course expect to hear subtle variations between different pairs of them.
post #747 of 1668
Well, I haven't reached that time with mine but it surely has changed over time (250-300 hrs), and sometimes I have the impression that it continues changing. I am in the process of buying the HE5 but have some problems with the pay method.
post #748 of 1668
I'll probably get killed for this but doesn't it make more sense that we hear differently from time to time based on mood, state of mind, level of involvement in the music rather than a mechanical transformation of our equipment? Maybe you're stressed and you jaw has been clenched, affecting the sound coming to your ears- that kind of thing? How many are more impressed with their sytems after a couple of drinks in the evening?
post #749 of 1668
That has come through my mind a couple of times, but specifically on the mood and state of mind you are in - like you said-, and yes after glass of wine, it sure sounds better and more immersive. But all this falls into the subjective side of the hobby, I think.

Edit: Did you try listening the HE5 after a couple of drinks to see if the excessive sibilance was gone?
post #750 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim3320070 View Post
...but doesn't it make more sense that we hear differently from time to time based on mood, state of mind, level of involvement in the music rather than a mechanical transformation of our equipment?/snip/... How many are more impressed with their sytems after a couple of drinks in the evening?
...or just getting off the motorcycle.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings