or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 5

post #61 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
Could there be a more generic cable...straight from the spool, braided and terminated. Anything stiff of course will be a conduit for tube micro-phonics but this is pretty bad.

I have had a positive word from Drew and Craig (Cryo), Craig has to think of a price. I'm waiting of Heli..best conduit covering and is supple while sounding good. I'll keep digging and see what I come up with!

I'm going balanced!
Me too. Fang did mention they are working on balance cable. I also believe they may be looking for a different cable company for the cable. We'll have to wait and see what develops before switching out to aftermarket cables.
post #62 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
I'm shipping my pair to Heli and Alex (Apuresound) to make sure of the connector type and testing....I'm taking one for the Team!
Thanks. The team appreciates the leader.
post #63 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I cannot promise you will like them - heck, I don't even think mine are fully broken in, but what I hear is VERY good sound for the money.

I personally prefer them to the Senn HD800 (talk about )
I heard the HD800s a lot at RMAF CanJam along with the HE-5s and I bought the HE-5s.
post #64 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
With the EF1 amp at RMAF the HE-5 bass was Slammin' and hits hard and fast, with good definition. They were also very transparent and uncolored, detailed and fast. I don't know if the amp was modded, but it had great synergy.

My only complaint with my old EF1 amp was the volume control wasn't good with IEM, which I understand is now improved, and that it had a smaller soundstage than the Woo WA6 or ALO Amphora (but those cost me 3x as much). So, a person could get a killer $1,000 rig with the EF1/HE-5 combined with an inexpensive DAC like Super Pro DAC707.
Fang mentioned there is an EF5 in the works that should be a perfect match for the HE-5s. They do sound very good with my Apache.
post #65 of 1668
Ordered a pair yesterday. Was told they'd be shipping from China 'soon'. What's been the experience of you all in terms of turnaround time? Especially eager to receive them after Skylab's enthusiastic, dare I say seemingly orgasmic, response to the HE-5/Phoenix pairing. I've been in a headphone frenzy lately. Tried the HF-2's and found that, although they were more refined and detailed, I still preferred my woodied HHF-1's which have a vicseral in your face presentation that I like for rock. Then I just tried the Denon AH-D7000. With them the soundstage seemed in front of my head. My Grado's and AT's put the sound in the middle of my head. So the Denon's left me feeling less connected and further away from the music. I think it's that intimate connection to the music that makes headphone listening pleasurable. Looking forward to playing the HE-5's
post #66 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post
Me too. Fang did mention they are working on balance cable. I also believe they may be looking for a different cable company for the cable. We'll have to wait and see what develops before switching out to aftermarket cables.
wow.

that would be so neat if you could order the headphone with a balanced cable. the impressions of HE5 have been very good. i'm already considering them as top of my list for my next purchase.
post #67 of 1668
Thread Starter 
I shipped my HE-5 off to Alex and Heli at Apuresound. They have options on connectors, and they need a pair to experiment with on connector types. The mechanical connections of wire and connector have to be examined etc. I shall keep you posted on the results as they become available!
post #68 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
I cannot promise you will like them - heck, I don't even think mine are fully broken in, but what I hear is VERY good sound for the money.

I personally prefer them to the Senn HD800 (talk about )
Without a good n' proper rig...you will feel that way!
post #69 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Addict View Post
Me too. Fang did mention they are working on balance cable. I also believe they may be looking for a different cable company for the cable. We'll have to wait and see what develops before switching out to aftermarket cables.
You can wait...I ain't waiting...not in the DNA !
post #70 of 1668
they should have just shipped a extra pair of the plugs with the headphones and all this would not be needed =/
post #71 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomo6789 View Post
they should have just shipped a extra pair of the plugs with the headphones and all this would not be needed =/
It has to be done with almost any headphone that has ever been produced! Cables, mostly (not always) need replacement! If nothing else for durability reasons...the stock cable falls apart after a couple years.

Some Phones (the HD800, JH13 examples) enjoy not so subtle increases in performance! All my Cans are re-wired (like my Brain...it uses solid-core silver internally).
post #72 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkphd View Post
Ordered a pair yesterday. Was told they'd be shipping from China 'soon'. What's been the experience of you all in terms of turnaround time? Especially eager to receive them after Skylab's enthusiastic, dare I say seemingly orgasmic, response to the HE-5/Phoenix pairing. I've been in a headphone frenzy lately. Tried the HF-2's and found that, although they were more refined and detailed, I still preferred my woodied HHF-1's which have a vicseral in your face presentation that I like for rock. Then I just tried the Denon AH-D7000. With them the soundstage seemed in front of my head. My Grado's and AT's put the sound in the middle of my head. So the Denon's left me feeling less connected and further away from the music. I think it's that intimate connection to the music that makes headphone listening pleasurable. Looking forward to playing the HE-5's
Mine was ultra-fast...like five (working) days, and flash. I live on the West Coast..they go ashore in L.A. and my door-bell rings...
post #73 of 1668
I am going to wait to see if Fang offers a balanced cable for a reasonable price. I'm sure the APuresound cable will be terrific, but it isn't exactly inexpensive.
post #74 of 1668

-


Edited by thinker - 1/19/14 at 1:49am
post #75 of 1668
i would have HD800s to try out by now BUT the store i bought from shipped them to the wrong person ... Chicago to San pablo CA back to texas now .... nice 8 day shipping good thing it was free. n1 (Music Direct) ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings