or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 21

post #301 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
I'm listening to the HE5's right now with a Compass and the sound is excellent, certainly not up to par with my Melos or Ear or the EF1, but it is very nice and foot tapping. These are nimble phones with quite the rich sound, better than Omega II's in my opinion, in fact better than any electrostat I've heard. I'm going to compare these to HD800s on Sunday and I can't wait. They look gorgeous in real life and they feel so very well built. In the $600 category, I would say they are impossible to beat given the current offerings.
They are a steal of a deal and IMO better than any stat', they have a bottom. That richness does hang on a bit to long and shows itself often...but small nits.
post #302 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
In the $600 category, I would say they are impossible to beat given the current offerings.
Better than the D7000 (US) and DX1000 (EU)? Nice headphone
post #303 of 1668
It's a bit early for me to dissect them fully but they are a faster sounding headphone (typical of this tech or electrostats), they are thinner sounding overall, not as "rich" compared to the PS-1000s but again, this is typical of the tech. The highs, as others have mentioned, are very very dependent on amplification. They can be strident, with an odd peak somewhere up there, but with better amplification, things are smoothed out. The bass is very nice and fast and again, with more power comes better bass. The bass is not in the same league as the PS-1000's where the bass is very much a forte of those headphones. At the same time, the bass is tight, deep enough for most music and there is no apparent bump anywhere in the lows or mids. As others have mentioned, compared to electrostats, they have a bottom end

Some may feel the HE5s are as good or better than the PS-1000's. I can foresee this from those who really love the electrostatic sound. I think the HE5s are better balanced than any electrostatic headphone (and I admit to being pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to orthos, with a bit of experience with Beagle's Yamahas).

Again, for $600, one gets a very fast, nicely balanced, warm electrostatically fast headphone without the sick pricetag of both the phones or the amp
post #304 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundogan View Post
Better than the D7000 (US) and DX1000 (EU)? Nice headphone
Notice I didn't say they are the best at $600, just that they are impossible to beat That leaves wiggle room. Others may tend towards one unit or another, but to say any one in that price ranges "bests" the HE5 would be a horrible stretch.
post #305 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
Notice I didn't say they are the best at $600, just that they are impossible to beat That leaves wiggle room. Others may tend towards one unit or another, but to say any one in that price ranges "bests" the HE5 would be a horrible stretch.
Don't forget the Audeze LCD-2 is "just around the corner", and at a similar price.
post #306 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanth View Post
I'm listening to the HE5's right now with a Compass and the sound is excellent, certainly not up to par with my Melos or Ear or the EF1, but it is very nice and foot tapping. These are nimble phones with quite the rich sound, better than Omega II's in my opinion, in fact better than any electrostat I've heard.
Furthest I've gone is the Stax 2020 Basik (which I own). They are fast but not what I would call foot-tapping, and they are prone to a slightly quacky quality in the upper mid. This makes the possibilities of the HE5's very intriguing, to say the least.

Quote:
I'm going to compare these to HD800s on Sunday and I can't wait.


Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
Don't forget the Audeze LCD-2 is "just around the corner", and at a similar price.
But those have those awful Denon pads on them!
post #307 of 1668
Almost all 'stats have a bottom. The same cannot be said of dynamics, not even close.
post #308 of 1668
Link?
post #309 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
Furthest I've gone is the Stax 2020 Basik (which I own). They are fast but not what I would call foot-tapping, and they are prone to a slightly quacky quality in the upper mid. This makes the possibilities of the HE5's very intriguing, to say the least.





But those have those awful Denon pads on them!
You can fluff the pads...just add some egg white!
post #310 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
This makes the possibilities of the HE5's very intriguing, to say the least.



It will be a blast for sure!
post #311 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post
"Some of the citrus this sibilant vocalist"

Love the translation from google. I strangely it seems like exactly what a wee treble spike could be described as. A citrus bite of sound I think this is know as synesthesia.


I like this to give a visual of the terms that we tend to use in audio.

The citrus expression is surely one i will recall.

I really like the HE5 and think it will be better than most commercial headphones but I am looking forward to see if the LCD2 gets it perfectly right for me ..dB
post #312 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post


I like this to give a visual of the terms that we tend to use in audio.

The citrus expression is surely one i will recall.

I really like the HE5 and think it will be better than most commercial headphones but I am looking forward to see if the LCD2 gets it perfectly right for me ..dB
I make the same face with sibilance as I would chomping a raw lemon, kind of "bitter-beer face" meets "Mr. Yuck"!
post #313 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post

But those have those awful Denon pads on them!
I loved the pads on my denons ! IMO this is a plus point for the lcd2
post #314 of 1668
interesting...all who have heard the HE-5 with GOOD or right amplification they dont hear the peak and all who dont have heard the phone say it has the peak
post #315 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker View Post
interesting...all who have heard the HE-5 with GOOD or right amplification they dont hear the peak and all who dont have heard the phone say it has the peak
Sachu uses an EHHA and dBel84 uses a Stacker. Are these too weak?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings