or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 99

post #1471 of 1668
Unfortunately I don't have a more powerful amp than that. I also am not sure if I want to buy a new amp JUST for the HE-5 headphones, just not 100% sold on them just yet I know that the EF-5 amp is supposed to be a good fit, but call me a snob, I'm not very impressed by the look and build quality of it compared to my much nicer WA6SE. If I were to upgrade I'd probably get a WA22, which might be more suitable for the HE-5s
post #1472 of 1668
That is unfortunate. If you scour through this thread, everyone, or almost everyone who made an amp move, saw significant improvement and went from averagely happy, to very happy.

Maybe you can borrow one, from a friend or another Head-Fier for a little while to see if they are worth keeping in your stable. IMHO.
post #1473 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
and the most important thing is the sound and comfort.
and build-quality? there's no point in owning the most enjoyable phones if it's on its way to china/NY most of the time .
post #1474 of 1668

How many "HE5's" are out there

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on another pair of HE5's and it intrigued me that these clearly sounded different

---- no it has nothing to with burn in , first pair was from the first run which had a few hundred hours on it from the factory and the second is a well used pair that has been passed around.

The big differences:
Pair 1 - overall great sound , bass not as tight as some orthos and that annoying 5-7KHz peak.
Pair 2 - again good sound, tonally not as accurate as I recall the first pair and misses the boat when compared to the smegsters modded Fostex. No immediately obvious peak - you really have to go looking for it and then it is a very narrow band still at around 5KHz ( I used a test disc ) - not noticeable on regular music. Bass does not feel as prominent but feels a little more coherent, still not as good as modded orthos.

The curiosity lasted all of 20 minutes before I pulled the pads off and discovered a set of screws which allow oyu to open the headphones up so , it seems I may have my way with these after all and fully expect them to become a reference ortho soon.

The big differences in construction - pair 1 , very little damping . pair 2 , anterior "star" felt diffusion screen ( most likely to control the peak ) and rear driver felt damping.

I am not crazy about the felt used and the implementation but it is a huge step in the right direction and explains, in part, why people hear different things. Who knows how many iterations of this headphone are in circulation.

Pair 1



the pad attachment is slightly different too , accounts for the variances discussed a while ago.

Pair 2



..dB
post #1475 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurguzel View Post
Unfortunately I don't have a more powerful amp than that. I also am not sure if I want to buy a new amp JUST for the HE-5 headphones, just not 100% sold on them just yet I know that the EF-5 amp is supposed to be a good fit, but call me a snob, I'm not very impressed by the look and build quality of it compared to my much nicer WA6SE. If I were to upgrade I'd probably get a WA22, which might be more suitable for the HE-5s
The WA22 with Sylvania 7236 tubes will put out about 2 watts into 32 ohms.
post #1476 of 1668
dBel84: When were the two pairs bought? I'd like to know if my cans are from one batch or the other without opening them up.

Thanks
post #1477 of 1668
so the product is still in "beta testing" phase even if it's been out for awhile now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post
I was fortunate enough to get my hands on another pair of HE5's and it intrigued me that these clearly sounded different

---- no it has nothing to with burn in , first pair was from the first run which had a few hundred hours on it from the factory and the second is a well used pair that has been passed around.

The big differences:
Pair 1 - overall great sound , bass not as tight as some orthos and that annoying 5-7KHz peak.
Pair 2 - again good sound, tonally not as accurate as I recall the first pair and misses the boat when compared to the smegsters modded Fostex. No immediately obvious peak - you really have to go looking for it and then it is a very narrow band still at around 5KHz ( I used a test disc ) - not noticeable on regular music. Bass does not feel as prominent but feels a little more coherent, still not as good as modded orthos.

snip...
post #1478 of 1668
!! Wow

I find it a little ridiculous that the damping is that different from one pair to another, and that they're meant to be difficult to mod.
post #1479 of 1668
I concur with dBel84, just opened up my new pair and I have the newer 'star' felt damping on the inside of the driver.

Heaphoneaddict, is there any change in current from the various tubes used in the WA6? I currently have some 6FD7, 6DE7, and 6EW7s. Seems that the 6FD7 have higher gain than the rest, but i'm not sure if the current would be any higher.
post #1480 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsieurguzel View Post
I concur with dBel84, just opened up my new pair and I have the newer 'star' felt damping on the inside of the driver.

Heaphoneaddict, is there any change in current from the various tubes used in the WA6? I currently have some 6FD7, 6DE7, and 6EW7s. Seems that the 6FD7 have higher gain than the rest, but i'm not sure if the current would be any higher.
When did you buy HE-5?
post #1481 of 1668
I just bought mine last week and they arrived yesterday.
post #1482 of 1668
The star is part of the newer series. Try and feel through the front of the pad - you will most likely be able to feel it ( or not ) ..dB
post #1483 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthel View Post
so the product is still in "beta testing" phase even if it's been out for awhile now!
there is a reason that the LCD2 hasn't yet been released .....

..dB
post #1484 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 View Post
The star is part of the newer series. Try and feel through the front of the pad - you will most likely be able to feel it ( or not ) ..dB
Ahhh! I can definitely feel the star pattern on mine

FWIW, I bought it on January 5th.
post #1485 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
Ahhh! I can definitely feel the star pattern on mine

FWIW, I bought it on January 5th.
Same and I bought it Dec. 31st/09 (last day of the last year), but they were shipped to me in the second week of January from the "wood fix" batch.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings