or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 97

post #1441 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
Team efforts are fun.
do you mean beta testing is fun?
post #1442 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
The issue is they shouldn't be exposed to such fluctuations as it's unreasonable to assume they're invincible when this kind of thing happens to door frames, cabinets and other thin woods. Ever had or seen a car windshield crack over a hot day to cold night? Similar effect.

You probably are correct that he's had two with a bad batch of wood or a slightly too large frame to support the wood or to combine our theories, it could have been an existing crack from the manufacture that was exacerbated from temp/pressure/humidity fluctuations! Team efforts are fun.

Anyhow, hopefully third time's the charm, tintin!
The fluctuations should be expected & should have been accounted for in manufacturing. The headphone is made in Shenzen according to another post I have read. The climate there is warm & humid. If the manufacturer is selling the headphone across the world he should have built in tolerances, pick a species of wood or design the head cups to avoid the cracking issues.

Your reference to door frames, cabinets and car winshieldd do not equate. Door frames and cabinets are built with more stable woods and as far as the car windshield cracking over a hot day to cold night, it is happening in far fewer percentages when you consider how many car windshields are out there.

IMO, it is a QA issue. I also am expecting my third HE-5. The headphone was very nice based on the 5 hours I listened to it. Let see what comes in the mail in a week or so.

Final note, Fang must also be eager to fix these QA issues, it is probably costing him a pretty penny to constantly replace and repair these headphones not to mention the lost or tentative sales.
post #1443 of 1668
I am now the proud owner of a brand new HE-5! First thing, this headphone is gorgeous. I hate gloss finish on wood that makes it look like plastic, the Denon and AT woodies look terrible to me. But the HE-5 has beautiful unlaquered wood that actually looks and feels like it came from a tree. Second, I have a small tear in one of the earpads. No way I'm sending it back though, just getting the company to ship the headphone to me was a difficult endeavor. Just curious, is the cable material silver-plated copper? That's what I assume cause it looks silver, lol...
post #1444 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthel View Post
do you mean beta testing is fun?
beta testing what ??

and its spc
post #1445 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by momomo6789 View Post
beta testing what ??

and its spc
By "beta testing" he is implying that the HE-5 were not yet ready for release and that we are the "testers."
post #1446 of 1668
they been out 4 months or so wouldn't call it beta testing.
post #1447 of 1668
Maybe it wasn't as literal as you're taking it.
post #1448 of 1668
post #1449 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrboy View Post
I am now the proud owner of a brand new HE-5! First thing, this headphone is gorgeous. I hate gloss finish on wood that makes it look like plastic, the Denon and AT woodies look terrible to me. But the HE-5 has beautiful unlaquered wood that actually looks and feels like it came from a tree. Second, I have a small tear in one of the earpads. No way I'm sending it back though, just getting the company to ship the headphone to me was a difficult endeavor. Just curious, is the cable material silver-plated copper? That's what I assume cause it looks silver, lol...
Congrats tvrboy. Let us know what you think of them after burn-in.
post #1450 of 1668
To give everyone an update regarding the my second HE-5 that came back without the cabling, box or connectors and also came back with the wood cup hitting the metal bracket. I got an email yesterday from Fang telling me there is a new shipment coming to me from China. I will wait patiently for everything to arrive.

A very interesting thing happened yesterday and this illustrates the wood issues the HE-5 is having. My co-worker asked me yesterday afternoon whether I had my headphone issue resolved & I quickly pulled out the HE-5 to show him where it was striking the bracket. I was shocked to see that the wood cup does not hit the bracket anymore. It now clears it by a little over 1/16". I had to double check the previous photos I sent Fang to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. Sure enough, the old photo showed the bracket hitting the wood cup.

The only explanation I can think of is the wood drying out after being in NYC (my office) for 11 days. I think the wood cup shrunk & the diameter tightened raising the bracket across the top to clear the wood cup.

I have e-mailed Fang the pictures for his reference.

See pictures below. glche502.jpg was taken on 1/31/10 & glche503.jpg was taken (8) days later on 2/4/10.


Thank you to Fang & Head Direct for addressing the problems I was having.

GLC

Imageshack - glche502.jpg
Imageshack - glche503.jpg

post #1451 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
The fluctuations should be expected & should have been accounted for in manufacturing. The headphone is made in Shenzen according to another post I have read. The climate there is warm & humid. If the manufacturer is selling the headphone across the world he should have built in tolerances, pick a species of wood or design the head cups to avoid the cracking issues.

Your reference to door frames, cabinets and car winshieldd do not equate. Door frames and cabinets are built with more stable woods and as far as the car windshield cracking over a hot day to cold night, it is happening in far fewer percentages when you consider how many car windshields are out there.
Should have been accounted for in manufacturing, yes. I wasn't pointing out the frequency that car windshields cracking or door frames warping occur, more of that they do and gave an explanation why-- similarly how not everyone's HE-5s are cracking, but a few have.

Quote:
The only explanation I can think of is the wood drying out after being in NYC (my office) for 11 days. I think the wood cup shrunk & the diameter tightened raising the bracket across the top to clear the wood cup.
Sorry to hear that, but hopefully now you understand what I was getting at!

Fang is making great headphones here, but it is his first headphone and like Jarthel so cleverly pointed out, we are basically beta testing for future improvements to the HE-5 and to teach Head Direct how to avoid these issues in the future for whatever amazing sounding gear they may produce down the road!
post #1452 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
Should have been accounted for in manufacturing, yes. I wasn't pointing out the frequency that car windshields cracking or door frames warping occur, more of that they do and gave an explanation why-- similarly how not everyone's HE-5s are cracking, but a few have.

Wood does not crack only due to changes in pressure or temperature, but will crack along the grain direction. The choice of wood may not have been the best & the grain direction was not accounted for when drilling the mounting holes. If you look at all the photos of the cracked headphones, you will see this. The grain directions are not consistent. This is a manufacturing issue and could have been avoided.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
Sorry to hear that, but hopefully now you understand what I was getting at!

Fang is making great headphones here, but it is his first headphone and like Jarthel so cleverly pointed out, we are basically beta testing for future improvements to the HE-5 and to teach Head Direct how to avoid these issues in the future for whatever amazing sounding gear they may produce down the road!
Actually, I'm not sure what you were getting at. You only said that because thin wood is prone to cracking we bought into these issues. What I'm saying is these issues don't need to exist if wood species, grain direction and tolerances were built into the design.

As far as the headphone, I agree, the HE-5 is very nice. Also note that Fang is not making the wood cups in his basement. He is using a woodworking company to turn and manufacture the wood cups. The wood issues should have been brought up in the design process and not after sales. In my line of business we work with many overseas woodworkers that they tell us all the time that building wood products in a humid area and shipping the product to dryer climates will be a disaster waiting to happen, especially if tolerances and wood species are not considered carefully.

Yes, I understand this is Fang's first headphone, but as far as teaching Fang or Head Direct from this episode, there is nothing to learn except that he needs to chose his vendors a bit more carefully which will probably mean higher prices. His vendors should be giving him advice, not just implementing a design.
post #1453 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
The wood issues should have been brought up in the design process and not after sales.
not always the case though.
post #1454 of 1668
I would suggest everyone that receives their headphones oil them with lemon oil first thing and repeat every few weeks, especially in the winter if you're in a cold climate. Lemon oil is in every grocery store. And I am not talking about wood cleaner or polish, straight lemon oil. This is common practice with guitar fretboards to prevent cracking.
Fang, feel free to correct this advise.
post #1455 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by glc View Post
Actually, I'm not sure what you were getting at. You only said that because thin wood is prone to cracking we bought into these issues.
I said why the wood was cracking, which you tried to debunk and then confirmed, so I don't see the issue? Where it's cracking is understandable and no one said it was exploding all over. Wood, glass and plastic will all crack at their weakest points. Whether or not the right kind of wood was chosen wasn't my point. I think you misunderstood my first post, so please, lighten up!

But yes, we did indeed buy the HE-5 along with the knowledge that these were not perfect headphones. Since the first batch went out, there were people who listed issues with the wood, connectors, pads and some folks who had sibilance and annoying frequency hump issues. All of us who got on the second batch, were aware of these issues.

The HE-5 is a like marrying a beautiful woman with a great personality... But she doesn't have control of her left leg and sometimes unintentionally kicks you right in the groin.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings