or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 96

post #1426 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
Shahrose: Your foam mod looks very interesting. What would you recommend for someone who doesn't have DT990 pads lying around? What would be some comparable foam that can be bought cheaply?
I do have some cheap foam lying around. I'll have to dig it out and experiment with it later. Let me get back to you on that.

I, personally, don't use the foam pads as I feel my pair are very nicely balanced and not at all offensive in the treble. I'm even beginning to prefer their bass weight to my other cans (although I'd still like a bit more punch/impact sometimes...not the same as weight).
Anyways, before anyone asks why I posted a mod that I don't even use. Well, I just wanted to pitch an idea that I think works to increase bass/reduce treble, for those complaining about these things.
post #1427 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePio View Post
Hello guys,

Just thought this would be some valuable information for anyone with an EF-5 and a HE-5... I just got a tung sol black glass tube and I did not expect such a difference from the RCA clear top, but wow, it has more of "tube" sound and does not sacrifice the top end sparkle at all... Very impressive, just when I thought It could not get better. Highly recommended tubes, amazing! Cheers!


Thanks for the advice...
post #1428 of 1668
My pleasure! Though I am not sure how they compare with other tubes but I can take an educated guess that the only tube superior or maybe better is the mullard long plates... Oh and HeadphoneAddict if you ever find the tube in your basement, I would really like to hear your impressions! I think Skylab is a fan of these tubes, though don't quote me lol... Though this is an HE-5 thread, not EF-5 so I am going to stop posting discussions about tubes... Cheers,
post #1429 of 1668
Today I receive my replacement ear-pads for the HE5. Thanks Fang.
post #1430 of 1668
This is absolutely ridiculous. I have now had two, count them TWO pairs of HE-5 crack withing ONE WEEK of receiving them. I got my first pair on december 11, and they cracked on the 19th, and then I got my second pair last week, on the 20th, so this one actually lasted 12 days! At this rate, the next one may last two weeks! What would I do if I had a new pair of headphones for two whole weeks!? My head would probably explode!

Not only that, but Fang assured us on head-fi that the cracking defect was fixed in newer models. This leads me to believe that 1) the cracking defect was not effectively fixed or 2) that head-direct sent me a pair that they knew to have a possible fault TO REPLACE MY FAULTY PAIR. Neither of those scenarios is okay.

I have waited for my broken headphones to return longer than I have owned them, and I am not about to be without them for another three weeks.

/rant

Rant aside, I like head-direct and I love the HE-5, but this is too much. I know that it is most likely simply terrible luck, as the vast majority have had no problems at all, but this off chance phenomenon is making me extremely upset. Come on.
post #1431 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin47 View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. I have now had two, count them TWO pairs of HE-5 crack withing ONE WEEK of receiving them. I got my first pair on december 11, and they cracked on the 19th, and then I got my second pair last week, on the 20th, so this one actually lasted 12 days! At this rate, the next one may last two weeks! What would I do if I had a new pair of headphones for two whole weeks!? My head would probably explode!

Not only that, but Fang assured us on head-fi that the cracking defect was fixed in newer models. This leads me to believe that 1) the cracking defect was not effectively fixed or 2) that head-direct sent me a pair that they knew to have a possible fault TO REPLACE MY FAULTY PAIR. Neither of those scenarios is okay.

I have waited for my broken headphones to return longer than I have owned them, and I am not about to be without them for another three weeks.

/rant

Rant aside, I like head-direct and I love the HE-5, but this is too much. I know that it is most likely simply terrible luck, as the vast majority have had no problems at all, but this off chance phenomenon is making me extremely upset. Come on.
That really is a bummer. I'd be upset too in your shoes and would expect Fang to pay for shipping costs both ways this time atleast.
post #1432 of 1668
this thread was too positive for too long. Something like this was bound to happen. These headphones seemed too good to be true... maybe they are.
post #1433 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin47 View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. I have now had two, count them TWO pairs of HE-5 crack withing ONE WEEK of receiving them. I got my first pair on december 11, and they cracked on the 19th, and then I got my second pair last week, on the 20th, so this one actually lasted 12 days! At this rate, the next one may last two weeks! What would I do if I had a new pair of headphones for two whole weeks!? My head would probably explode!

Not only that, but Fang assured us on head-fi that the cracking defect was fixed in newer models. This leads me to believe that 1) the cracking defect was not effectively fixed or 2) that head-direct sent me a pair that they knew to have a possible fault TO REPLACE MY FAULTY PAIR. Neither of those scenarios is okay.

I have waited for my broken headphones to return longer than I have owned them, and I am not about to be without them for another three weeks.

/rant

Rant aside, I like head-direct and I love the HE-5, but this is too much. I know that it is most likely simply terrible luck, as the vast majority have had no problems at all, but this off chance phenomenon is making me extremely upset. Come on.
In the room that you keep your headphones in, do you keep them near a window or have a large window? Thin wood is easily cracked in the cases of changes in pressure; if you have a window that isn't insulated correctly then you're bought to have issues with both wood (warping, cracking, mold) and sensitive glass would be the same (camera lenses, glass-plated TVs).

Fluctuation in pressure, temperature and humidity are the main concerns.
post #1434 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
In the room that you keep your headphones in, do you keep them near a window or have a large window? Thin wood is easily cracked in the cases of changes in pressure; if you have a window that isn't insulated correctly then you're bought to have issues with both wood (warping, cracking, mold) and sensitive glass would be the same (camera lenses, glass-plated TVs).

Fluctuation in pressure, temperature and humidity are the main concerns.
shouldn't that be a concern of the manufacturer instead of the buyer? it seems the wood was manufactured with very ideal situations in mind.
post #1435 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis View Post
In the room that you keep your headphones in, do you keep them near a window or have a large window? Thin wood is easily cracked in the cases of changes in pressure; if you have a window that isn't insulated correctly then you're bought to have issues with both wood (warping, cracking, mold) and sensitive glass would be the same (camera lenses, glass-plated TVs).

Fluctuation in pressure, temperature and humidity are the main concerns.
Two comments on this:

1. *If* they were that easily damaged, then this would be a very poor design, *but*

2. I live in Chicago. Both temperature and humidity change radically where I live, and often. I have had no problem.

I feel bad for tintin, and he should get a full refund if he desires. But I think he got two bad pairs, not that these headphones have to be kept in tight temperature controlled environments not to break, as a universal.
post #1436 of 1668
Hey tintin47,

Wow your post scares the hell out of me... I just sent my HE-5's back for replacement, and it would be an absolute nightmare if they cracked again. First off I would like to say, sorry man, I know how frustrating this experience is. I hope you can update us to what Fang says about this issue, since he did say he "fixed" the problem. Oh and "Silenced" the headphones have been positive for so long mainly because of their acoustic properties, and that will never change. What seems to be the problem here is QC. To be honest if this was another headphone I wasn't totally in love with, I would already have given up, but with these, I hope its worth the troubles in the end... Cheers,
post #1437 of 1668
yeah, I have poorly insulated windows, but the tem pf my room never changes more than 10 degrees or so, but the headphones aren't kept next to the windows. Either way, it is absurd if a manufactuer doesn't design a prouct with an operating range of at least +- 25 degrees from room temp.

so if temp change is the issue, these are poorly designed and the enclosures need to be taken back to the drawing board.
post #1438 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin47 View Post
yeah, I have poorly insulated windows, but the tem pf my room never changes more than 10 degrees or so, but the headphones aren't kept next to the windows. Either way, it is absurd if a manufactuer doesn't design a prouct with an operating range of AT LEAST +- 25 degrees from room temp.

so if temp change is the issue, these are horribly designed and the enclosures need to be taken back to the drawing board.
I am inclined to agree with Skylab here. I don't think it's a problem with their general design so much as you getting 2 bad pairs. When mine came in, it was around -20 deg. Cel. outside and around 22 deg. C. inside my house (humidity was also vastly different). I remember opening the box to find them almost frozen because they had been in the mailbox for a day. Needless to say, there weren't any problems with mine. I let them heat up to room temperature over a couple hours and started listening to them right away and there have been no signs of damage in the 5 weeks I've had them.
post #1439 of 1668
You are both almost certainly right. I am just very annoyed.
post #1440 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Two comments on this:

1. *If* they were that easily damaged, then this would be a very poor design, *but*

2. I live in Chicago. Both temperature and humidity change radically where I live, and often. I have had no problem.

I feel bad for tintin, and he should get a full refund if he desires. But I think he got two bad pairs, not that these headphones have to be kept in tight temperature controlled environments not to break, as a universal.
The issue is they shouldn't be exposed to such fluctuations as it's unreasonable to assume they're invincible when this kind of thing happens to door frames, cabinets and other thin woods. Ever had or seen a car windshield crack over a hot day to cold night? Similar effect.

You probably are correct that he's had two with a bad batch of wood or a slightly too large frame to support the wood or to combine our theories, it could have been an existing crack from the manufacture that was exacerbated from temp/pressure/humidity fluctuations! Team efforts are fun.

Anyhow, hopefully third time's the charm, tintin!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings