or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 91

post #1351 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrose View Post
Wait for their reply to your second email. I agree the best solution would be for them to send you a new set of pads and once received, for you to ship the defective ones back. Cheaper, faster, and easier.
Yes, hopefully their first response to my initial inquiry was due to an "ESL" issue
post #1352 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
As one of the "masses" that plunked down $599 for a pair of these cans (actually $939 with shipping for the combo), I must say that overall I am very pleased, which is very good considering that I've never spent so much on a pair of headphones myself.

The treble sharpness is wearing off somewhat, to my great pleasure and relief. Never had a problem with sibilance, or build quality.

Until now, that is:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hzZJUA_6bfc/S1...M/SANY0048.JPG

So one of my earpads is defective, which should be no big deal, right?

They want me to mail the headphones back to them for repair. For an earpad that looks to be user replaceable; does this make sense to anybody? Here's a copy of their reply:

"We apologize for such an early mishap, please use the following information below to get a replacement.
Our warranty policy is a 30 day refund and 3 year free replacement. If any modifications are done by the customer to the component, this will void the warranty. Please print your online receipt email or transaction page. Note that you need a replacement, and ship the earphone (or other product), and include the receipt in the box back to us.
Please make sure to note your address, since the address on the receipt is the only way for us to mail the product back to you.
Please do not ship the box and accessories to us.
(Please only ship the defective component to us.)
The cost to ship a defective product back to us for repair or replacement is the responsibility of the consumer. The cost to return the product to the consumer, is the responsibility of Head Direct. "

This is the part I hate. Do they mean to replace the headphones or the earpad?

Why would I risk them replacing the entire pair of headphones when there are variances and I like mine?

Why do I have to send the headphones back just to get a new earpad?

It seems that the above photo should have been evidence enough, but I replied thus-ly:

"So I have to mail the headphones to New Jersey to get a replacement earpad?

[At least it's not China, but] Can't you just send me another pad?

Can I remove and send just the defective pad to you?"

Please keep in mind that I sent them the above photo, and I still am within the 30 day refund window. I feel my best options are to either "live with it" or to exercise the refund option the HE-5/EF5 package before I am without the headphones for a month just because I need a new earpad. I would just glue it but that could construe a "modification", which when "done by the customer to the component, this will void the warranty".

Their response seems to defy logic, which would dictate a new pad be mailed to me with simple replacement instructions, even if I was just in the 3-year repair window, rather than the 30-day return window I am actually still in. I am also concerned by their wording that if I send them in, they might replace my pair with another entire pair of headphones rather than just replace the defective pad, which I would I would also like to avoid, as it's just an earpad.

Everyone please, wade on in !
Wow! you beat me to the punchline. My HE5/EF5 combo arrived on December 14 which makes them under 6 weeks old and last night I noticed the cloth cover on the right ear-pad was coming off just like in your picture. I have sent a PM and an email to Fang hoping he can send me an exchange ear-pad and then I send him the damaged unit.

If they stick to their guns of sending the whole unit back I say that is nonsense. Lets wait and see what they say. BTW, I proceeded to glue mine since I want to use them and IMO if left un-attended they would get worse.

BTW, speaking of mods/changes today (January 24, 2010) I decided to roll some tubes on the EF5 starting with a TungSol 12AU7. I also decided to:

1.Remove the “cage” around the tube to facilitate the rolling of tubes. IMO the “cage” not only makes the rolling of tubes more difficult than it needs to but it also impedes cooling of the tube. Although in all honesty the tube in this amp barely gets warm.
2.I installed a Herbies Halo, not so much because it helps in all situations but because I happen to have a few laying around and they do look cool.
3.Like the EF1 I feel the Plexiglas “window” although nice to look at does not allow for optimal cooling. The EF5 does have additional cooling via slits on the sides and bottom. Nonetheless I opted to install an o-ring under each of the four screws holding the Plexiglas “window” thus adding an small air-gap all around it. Time will tell if it helps or not.
4.Replace all four plastic feet from both the power supply and the amp section. One thing that has bothered me a lot with both the EF1 and EF5 (it is nitpicking I know) are the hard plastic feet used. These feet do hold the amp in place when you insert or retract the ¼” plug, instead the amp slides all over. The other problem is that you cannot stack them, the stock plastic feet are thin and when you stack the amp on top of the power supply the faceplates touch leaving the amp cantilevered on the faceplates. I ordered from eBay ( 4 SORBOTHANE HEMISPHERE 3/4" VIBRATION ISOLATION FEET - eBay (item 250446829882 end time Feb-12-10 17:52:27 PST) ) two sets of elastomer feet that hold the units in place and allow them to be easily stacked.

Here are a few pictures of how the units look now, all of the changes are fully reversible. I will be testing the setup over the next few days to see if the new tube or other tubes improve the sound.





post #1353 of 1668
Hey guys,

I sent my HE-5's back for replacement, I am aware that they fixed the wood cracking problem, but does anybody know if they fixed the issue with the material coming off the pads... Since I don't want to get my replacement in, and have the issue with the pads again, I am wondering if they did anything to correct this issue? Thanks!
post #1354 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
As one of the "masses" that plunked down $599 for a pair of these cans (actually $939 with shipping for the combo), I must say that overall I am very pleased, which is very good considering that I've never spent so much on a pair of headphones myself.

The treble sharpness is wearing off somewhat, to my great pleasure and relief. Never had a problem with sibilance, or build quality.

Until now, that is:
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hzZJUA_6bfc/S1...M/SANY0048.JPG

So one of my earpads is defective, which should be no big deal, right?

They want me to mail the headphones back to them for repair. For an earpad that looks to be user replaceable; does this make sense to anybody? Here's a copy of their reply:

"We apologize for such an early mishap, please use the following information below to get a replacement.
Our warranty policy is a 30 day refund and 3 year free replacement. If any modifications are done by the customer to the component, this will void the warranty. Please print your online receipt email or transaction page. Note that you need a replacement, and ship the earphone (or other product), and include the receipt in the box back to us.
Please make sure to note your address, since the address on the receipt is the only way for us to mail the product back to you.
Please do not ship the box and accessories to us.
(Please only ship the defective component to us.)
The cost to ship a defective product back to us for repair or replacement is the responsibility of the consumer. The cost to return the product to the consumer, is the responsibility of Head Direct. "

This is the part I hate. Do they mean to replace the headphones or the earpad?

Why would I risk them replacing the entire pair of headphones when there are variances and I like mine?

Why do I have to send the headphones back just to get a new earpad?

It seems that the above photo should have been evidence enough, but I replied thus-ly:

"So I have to mail the headphones to New Jersey to get a replacement earpad?

[At least it's not China, but] Can't you just send me another pad?

Can I remove and send just the defective pad to you?"

Please keep in mind that I sent them the above photo, and I still am within the 30 day refund window. I feel my best options are to either "live with it" or to exercise the refund option the HE-5/EF5 package before I am without the headphones for a month just because I need a new earpad. I would just glue it but that could construe a "modification", which when "done by the customer to the component, this will void the warranty".

Their response seems to defy logic, which would dictate a new pad be mailed to me with simple replacement instructions, even if I was just in the 3-year repair window, rather than the 30-day return window I am actually still in. I am also concerned by their wording that if I send them in, they might replace my pair with another entire pair of headphones rather than just replace the defective pad, which I would I would also like to avoid, as it's just an earpad.

Everyone please, wade on in !
Umm... that's interesting; why would they make you jump through so many hoops? One of the pads on mine had this issue out-of-the-box and I asked them for a replacement earpad. In about a week and a half, I had a box arrive containing two brand new earpads. Oh and I tried glue, it won't work well at all; if you want to go the 'glue' route I suggest some epoxy that is bondable to both plastic and cloth.

post #1355 of 1668
We will send new earpad for you guys. It will be ridiculous to ship the whole thing back. Please email your name, address and phone number to head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com, so that we can mail earpad to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post
As one of the "masses" that plunked down $599 for a pair of these cans (actually $939 with shipping for the combo), I must say that overall I am very pleased, which is very good considering that I've never spent so much on a pair of headphones myself.

The treble sharpness is wearing off somewhat, to my great pleasure and relief. Never had a problem with sibilance, or build quality.

Until now, that is:


So one of my earpads is defective, which should be no big deal, right?

They want me to mail the headphones back to them for repair. For an earpad that looks to be user replaceable; does this make sense to anybody? Here's a copy of their reply:

"We apologize for such an early mishap, please use the following information below to get a replacement.
Our warranty policy is a 30 day refund and 3 year free replacement. If any modifications are done by the customer to the component, this will void the warranty. Please print your online receipt email or transaction page. Note that you need a replacement, and ship the earphone (or other product), and include the receipt in the box back to us.
Please make sure to note your address, since the address on the receipt is the only way for us to mail the product back to you.
Please do not ship the box and accessories to us.
(Please only ship the defective component to us.)
The cost to ship a defective product back to us for repair or replacement is the responsibility of the consumer. The cost to return the product to the consumer, is the responsibility of Head Direct. "

This is the part I hate. Do they mean to replace the headphones or the earpad?

Why would I risk them replacing the entire pair of headphones when there are variances and I like mine?

Why do I have to send the headphones back just to get a new earpad?

It seems that the above photo should have been evidence enough, but I replied thus-ly:

"So I have to mail the headphones to New Jersey to get a replacement earpad?

[At least it's not China, but] Can't you just send me another pad?

Can I remove and send just the defective pad to you?"

Please keep in mind that I sent them the above photo, and I still am within the 30 day refund window. I feel my best options are to either "live with it" or to exercise the refund option the HE-5/EF5 package before I am without the headphones for a month just because I need a new earpad. I would just glue it but that could construe a "modification", which when "done by the customer to the component, this will void the warranty".

Their response seems to defy logic, which would dictate a new pad be mailed to me with simple replacement instructions, even if I was just in the 3-year repair window, rather than the 30-day return window I am actually still in. I am also concerned by their wording that if I send them in, they might replace my pair with another entire pair of headphones rather than just replace the defective pad, which I would I would also like to avoid, as it's just an earpad.

Everyone please, wade on in !
Reply
post #1356 of 1668

Great support...

Well that makes me feel more comfortable with maybe a new purchase of these great cans...great customer service!!! Nice!
post #1357 of 1668
Guys/gals,
Please stay away from the racist/cultural comments on this forum.

I pruned each thread regarding Chinese/Canadian products.
post #1358 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai View Post
We will send new earpad for you guys. It will be ridiculous to ship the whole thing back. Please email your name, address and phone number to head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com, so that we can mail earpad to you.
Thank you; I was hoping that logic would win out here and it did

And thanks for making these paradigm-bending, great-sounding headphones; two cheers to Head Direct !
post #1359 of 1668
how much sound do these leak? thank you
post #1360 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthel View Post
how much sound do these leak? thank you
Quite a bit- like small speakers.
post #1361 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrarroyo View Post
I replaced the stock feet on the EF5, pictures, etc, etc.
Nice idea! I found some black rubber feet that I had laying around small enough to stick onto the existing plastic feet and it makes a huge difference. No more slippage.
post #1362 of 1668
Maybe not so resolved... The saga continues:

"Hello,
I was reading your and mrarroyo's post on Head-Fi this morning, and I will ask Fang (Nankai) if there is something we can do about just replacing the earpads. Please give me a day or two.
Head-Direct Corporation / HiFiMAN
Customer Service Team"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankai View Post
We will send new earpad for you guys. It will be ridiculous to ship the whole thing back. Please email your name, address and phone number to head.direct.customerservice@gmail.com, so that we can mail earpad to you.
I read the above, and quoted it with my info to Fang:

"Thanks,
(name and mailing address)
United States
Let me know if you want the old one(s) back.
My defective pad is on the right side, if it matters."

This, unbelievably, was their reply this morning:

"Hello Vincent,
Yes please just send the defective earpad back, and use the previous e-mail I sent to you for a replacement,
Head-Direct Corporation / HiFiMAN
Customer Service Team"

My reply:

"Are you saying that I need to send you the defective earpad before you will send me a replacement?
If so, I would rather purchase the earpad first, and then return the defective one for a refund, please advise!"

I don't know who this is replying to my e-mails at the "Head-Direct Corporation / HiFiMAN Customer Service Team" if it's not "Fang", but the initial reply is always reflexively negative via e-mail, even if the situation ultimately gets resolved by "Fang"; I have never gotten a reply from Head-Direct from anybody with a name.

I don't appreciate having to ride an emotional roller-coaster to get this pad replaced, and I find myself again considering sending the whole thing back for a refund.

Any guesses as to what this nameless person meant with, "use the previous e-mail I sent to you for a replacement"?
post #1363 of 1668
Argh, Head-Direct is being such a cocktease. I finally got my replacement HE-5s but they didn't send the cable or box with them...

Edit: they shipped it overnight through UPS too, so that must have cost a pretty penny for only sending me half the items. Great customer service for sending it overnight, horrible communication though as evidenced by the earpad inconsistency mystery above.
post #1364 of 1668
would you recommend this phones in spite of the various build quality issues? thank you
post #1365 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarthel View Post
would you recommend this phones in spite of the various build quality issues? thank you
Yes, since the wood cracking issue is out of the way. The earpads you don't have to ship back if you have a problem with them. Mine seems to be a unique case -- the internal connection broke loose after a few weeks of wear and tear.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings