or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HE-5..initial musings - Page 8

post #106 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker View Post
Thanks Skylab,

i was forced to do this because i heard the potentiality of this headphone and i soon realised that this headphone need plenty of juice.
I hooked them up with my Krell monoblocks wich i run with Nordost cast cables so i heard this phone now completely symmetrical way.Krell have power of 8 OHM 300watts class A.
OK, what did i hear JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS....... CHRIST these blow my Stax O2 and Sennheiser with a quite margin away.This headphone i a STATEMENT please try it out-
Yup, (Powah handy!)...I don't think you need 300 reasons..just a few will do!
post #107 of 1668
I'm convinced. I was waiting on the LCD-2, but I think I will buy both and spend some time comparing, then sell the other. Either way, I think my K701 may have seen its last days...

Unfortunately, the Head-Direct website says they're out of stock until late November - looks like I might be able to snag an Audez'e before that.
post #108 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
OK, so after a couple weeks with these, here are my impressions:

* World-class midrange purity, tone, and transparency - I have heard none better in this regard. Easily as good as the HD800 in this regard.

* Outstanding lateral imaging, and even better image depth. Only the HD800 are better among all headphones I have heard.

* Treble is clean and neutral, if perhaps just slightly sweet. But the sweetness does not come at the expense of extension - there is seemingly limitless extension. Slightly more forward treble than the DX1000; slightly less than the HD800. For many will be "just right". There does seem to be one very small peak somewhere, not sure where, that occasionally stands out a little - but it is pretty high up, and just means a little extra sparkle - doesn't yield any unnatural stridency. The treble also has a "delicacy" that is pretty unique IME - dynamic headphones just don't seem to have this.

* Bass is impactful, and extremely well defined. Slightly more bass weight than the HD800, slightly less than the JVC DX1000. Bass definition is slightly less than DX1000, and on par with the HD800. Again, since some consider the HD800 slightly lean in the bass, and some consider the DX1000 to be too fat, the HE-5 will be "just right" for many. Plenty of bass for most - not enough for some, too much for others, but those people would be at the extremes. Mainly, the bass isn't present until called for, and doesn't impede at all on the mids.

* Most noticeable trait may be an incredible transparency and complete freedom from grain, etch, or anything in the way of the music.

The one main liability I have found, is that with some very complex music, there does seem to be the tendency for things to occasionally get a little congested. It's not a power issue - I've been using these with the Audio GD Phoenix, which has plenty of juice. This is just a very slight issue, but something I do occasionally hear. But only with music that is very very dense.

I did try these with my Decware CSP-2, which did far better with them than I ever expected, given their 28 ohm impedance. It did yield a slightly more romantic sound than with the Phoenix. But it was a sound that was very hard not to like. It was actually very, very engaging. It's a combination I could be very, very happy with.

Well that's it for now. HE-5's are here to stay, for me. They are the best open headphone I currently own. I can't wait to compare them to the Beyer T1 when it comes, but these are definitely a level above the DT880 and 990.

Now, time to get a better cable...
Well Done Robert!! You smacked the nail center line!! Yup, they have a sweetness that can coat things and they will congest when the musical passage is driven to climax- BUT - I think that is directly related to power.

I am getting a second cable also, about 9ft of bare wire with tinned ends on it, to run from a speaker amp. I have more of those than headphones. I have a lot of the "chip amps" and they would do wildly well with these guys.
post #109 of 1668
There are other characteristics of your amplifier besides power that you have to consider, like slew rate. Congestion sounds like your amplifier doesn't have great slew rate, aka isn't fast enough to handle complex passages. I doubt, based on the isodynamic principle, that the headphones are causing the congestion.
post #110 of 1668
That's all in how you look at it. If the amp doesn;t have that issue with other headphones, and the planars require something different than dynamics, is it the amp, or the headphones, that are at "fault"?
post #111 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypasswordis View Post
There are other characteristics of your amplifier besides power that you have to consider, like slew rate. Congestion sounds like your amplifier doesn't have great slew rate, aka isn't fast enough to handle complex passages. I doubt, based on the isodynamic principle, that the headphones are causing the congestion.
True, but the Beta, Headcode and Dynalo don't have slew issues and the Congestion I'm hearing starts at the extremes (clipping) and focuses in-wards.

That's during heavy orchestra involvement! Have you played with these guy's....very inefficient! They (HE-5) want to follow the dynamic swings of the Music faithfully...it's a case that the mind (HE-5) is willing but the body (amp) isn't.

I know, you are thinking "turn it down"! I listen to mostly acoustic music at a natural level and they handle a soloist to quartet easily. But a spirited 120 piece ensemble, all running toward the exit at the same time, bunches right at the amp!
post #112 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
That's all in how you look at it. If the amp doesn;t have that issue with other headphones, and the planars require something different than dynamics, is it the amp, or the headphones, that are at "fault"?
I don't personally think planars require anything different from dynamics, but are much more revealing of upstream components due to their low distortion and near-massless drivers. Not having yet heard the HE5 and thus not experiencing the congestion myself, I can't make any judgments as to which one is at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achristilaw View Post
True, but the Beta, Headcode and Dynalo don't have slew issues and the Congestion I'm hearing starts at the extremes (clipping) and focuses in-wards.

That's during heavy orchestra involvement! Have you played with these guy's....very inefficient! They (HE-5) want to follow the dynamic swings of the Music faithfully...it's a case that the mind (HE-5) is willing but the body (amp) isn't.

I know, you are thinking "turn it down"! I listen to mostly acoustic music at a natural level and they handle a soloist to quartet easily. But a spirited 120 piece ensemble, all running toward the exit at the same time, bunches right at the amp!
I also listen to a lot of acoustic music, and dynamics are always a big issue with orchestral stuff, although the amps that you mentioned certainly shouldn't have too much trouble. Output impedance also shouldn't be an issue so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Going to hear a pair this weekend and see what's what. I've been considering buying a pair of HE5 for awhile now, and the fact that people think it can hang with the HD800 is promising. How's the timbre? Does it represent acoustic instruments naturally?
post #113 of 1668
Hopefully Don will have some insights on the HE-5s by this weekend..i loaned mine out to him and he will be using the Stacker headphone amplifier which is even more resolving than my EHHA with a tighter bottom end.

I'd highly recommend an amplifier in the class of the B22/EHHA or one above, the Stacker for this kind of headphones.
I can't impress upon folks how important the amplifier is to get the best out of orthos. They scale better than most (if not all) dynamics with the amplification.

They need more than the "run of the mill" kinda headphone amplifiers..

@MPI, they have the ortho-goodness. No other way to put it.
post #114 of 1668
Do they have any hiss, I mean in background ?
post #115 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acix View Post
Do they have any hiss, I mean in background ?
ummm..are you referring to the amp or headphones or both. Either way..nope...no hiss
post #116 of 1668
anyone know if a HR desktop amp would be sufficient to drive these cans?
post #117 of 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
anyone know if a HR desktop amp would be sufficient to drive these cans?
Someone was running it off an ipod, so any amp will do.
Just that it will scale up and sound better, the better the amp you have.
post #118 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypasswordis View Post
I don't personally think planars require anything different from dynamics, but are much more revealing of upstream components due to their low distortion and near-massless drivers. Not having yet heard the HE5 and thus not experiencing the congestion myself, I can't make any judgments as to which one is at fault.



I also listen to a lot of acoustic music, and dynamics are always a big issue with orchestral stuff, although the amps that you mentioned certainly shouldn't have too much trouble. Output impedance also shouldn't be an issue so I'm not sure what the problem could be. Going to hear a pair this weekend and see what's what. I've been considering buying a pair of HE5 for awhile now, and the fact that people think it can hang with the HD800 is promising. How's the timbre? Does it represent acoustic instruments naturally?
Very rich tonally and have above average timbrel accuracy. That is the Forte! But these can ROCK with any metal head fortitude given the power!
post #119 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabeer View Post
Someone was running it off an ipod, so any amp will do.
Just that it will scale up and sound better, the better the amp you have.
An Ipod hooked to an amp would be better!
post #120 of 1668
Thread Starter 
Some thoughts on Dynamics and the resulting Dynamic Range.

Most modern Music has range of limited dynamic contrasts (typical 60-70 db.)
What that means it starts loud and maintains the same loudness level till the end of the song. Not a lot of changes dynamically.

Most Music that is referred to as "Classic" (I prefer Timeless) might have a spread started by the whisper of an oboe (example) and build through movements to a erupting finish of all orchestral members playing at a frantic crescendo (can measure a range to 120+ db. deviation of soft to loud).

That's when the extra reserve of power on tap is handy. A lot of headphones can't maintain the structure and balance of a Musical Climax, these Cans...can. But power (in Watts) is mandatory!

With contemporary Music and playing the HE-5, you won't notice the lacks of Power as much because the levels stay the same and don't offer peaks and valleys (soft to loud or vice-versa) nearly as frequently.

You turn it up and stop when you have a balance or before clipping occurs.

Just some observations...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › HE-5..initial musings